Training 2021 Pre-Season Training Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Won't play I wouldn't have thought. If the foots sore, even if the scans are clear, you would rest him.

Will be interesting to see who comes in if he does miss.

you would rest him, I would rest him, the club player Talia out in a spoon season with a torn meniscus. Never rule out senior players being worked into the ground. We’ve not turned that corner yet, hopefully this year.

Bizarre tone in here towards McAsey. Lots of people seem to have decided he's gone (apropros of nothing) and started irrationally trashing him. How about we just sh*t can every player on our list on the off chance they leave us at some point in their careers despite no concrete evidence they're going anywhere. Weird mentality.
been that way forever. Cynical, vocal, negative nancies who seem to thrive on bad news.

McAsey's demeanour reminds me of a young Tyson Edwards. Just doesn't like the limelight, still finding his feet as a person. He's a kid FFS. Not every kid is a Tex Walker.
Tex was like that too when he first came to us. Painfully shy.

How many of you have b1tched about the long contracts for Sloane and Lynch? Others say stop making these these same stupid mistakes. So why should we give 5 years contracts to a couple of F/As when we have already drafted their replacements.

Crouch plays one position only at a high level. Laird can play back and as a mid but he is a shorty with a terrible kick.

Get what you can for them, go to the draft and the next year there is money to buy a couple of gun players.
High lvl correct me if im wrong hasnt here been an all australian but hey lets get rid of him wtf

"2021 SANFL Trial Match Adelaide Crows Vs Port Adelaide Power Highlights" on YouTube

That kick Thilthorpe hit in the 3rd quarter where he hit a running Newchurch on the chest perfectly was awesome. Seriously don't think there's many guys on our team who'd hit that kick.

Newchurch definitely has something too. Needs to clean up his ball use if he's ever to make it to the AFL, but that speed is deadly, especially when he's got open space ahead of him.

AFL 2021: Round 1 teams, every club best 22, predictions, lineups, injury list, Marlion Pickett, Eddie Betts, Jeremy Cameron
They seem to have around 15 of our round 1 team right at least. Very unlikely Sloane will start in the middle or he shouldn't based on preseason. Talia won't be ready for round 1. We definitely won't be playing Thilthorpe, Walker, Fogarty, Frampton, Lynch all in the one team. Thilthorpe and Walker combined with Berg thanks. Not sure if Hately will be in the team or he shouldn't based on what I've seen. Schoenberg is also definite best 22. Would go Butts or Worrell over McAsey as well. Also they will likely go another small forward in Murphy or Jones I would say. Or possibly even McHenry

Last edited:
That kick Thilthorpe hit in the 3rd quarter where he hit a running Newchurch on the chest perfectly was awesome. Seriously don't think there's many guys on our team who'd hit that kick.

Newchurch definitely has something too. Needs to clean up his ball use if he's ever to make it to the AFL, but that speed is deadly, especially when he's got open space ahead of him.
How quick is Newchurch. Thilthorpe, Berry, Himmelberg, Newchurch all stood out. The standard of kicking seems better than our first team and I like how many of the players react quick after a mark. A good example was Berry at half forward to TT.

Last edited:
Nicks very honest on SEN this afternoon about the new 50 metre rule and how coaches will still work out ways to be defensive and slow the game down even with the new rule because they think it's the best way to win a game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Injury update on 9.

Crouch and Doedee both have groin issues, may play if they get through training this week.

Talia joining main training this week.

Mackay still having concussion symptoms and will miss.

Davis getting a second set of scans, but believed he may have a Syndesmosis injury, which could be a 6 month injury worst case scenario. (Googling says it's usually a 6-8 week injury)

Seedsman in the centre was a red flag for mine, from a coaching perspective. Especially with Schoenberg only getting limited opportunities in there.
I am reserving judgement on this and other facets of the trial. It was only a trial game and by its very definition, a first real chance for the coaches to get a look at things against what is (cough - this sticks in my throat to say this) a very good side.

Yes we were soundly beaten, yes some players certainly didn't take their opportunity but IT IS only the first trial game. Lets see how we go against the teams that are going to be around our level / outside the top 8 as that will define the wins and losses side of things. I just want to see improvement in the kids and see a game plan in operation over the coming weeks leading into the season

Adelaide coach Matthew Nicks says former skipper Taylor Walker is not ready to relinquish his position as the Crows’ spearhead yet.

Walker played 14 games and kicked 15 goals in 2020, his lowest tally since 2013 when he ruptured his ACL five rounds into the season.

The Crows selected key forward Riley Thilthorpe with the second pick in the National Draft, and the local boy kicked four goals in a reserves practice match at the weekend.

“If a younger player who is 18 is good enough to push Tex out, then goodness me we’d be silly not to play that kid,” Nicks explained on Sportsday.

“At the moment that’s not happening. Tex is 30 years old, he’s not 32 or 33 or 34.”

Nicks said Walker has repeated his strong training form of the previous summer, despite the difficulties of the pandemic-affected season in between.

“Our conversations have been around ‘mate, you make it hard for these kids, I don’t want to gift them any games,'" Nicks asserted.

"We’re not going to gift games, they have got to earn their spot.

“At the moment, he’s our best forward. He’s performing really well, he’s crashing in, he’s competing.

Adelaide coach Matthew Nicks says former skipper Taylor Walker is not ready to relinquish his position as the Crows’ spearhead yet.

Walker played 14 games and kicked 15 goals in 2020, his lowest tally since 2013 when he ruptured his ACL five rounds into the season.

The Crows selected key forward Riley Thilthorpe with the second pick in the National Draft, and the local boy kicked four goals in a reserves practice match at the weekend.

“If a younger player who is 18 is good enough to push Tex out, then goodness me we’d be silly not to play that kid,” Nicks explained on Sportsday.

“At the moment that’s not happening. Tex is 30 years old, he’s not 32 or 33 or 34.”

Nicks said Walker has repeated his strong training form of the previous summer, despite the difficulties of the pandemic-affected season in between.

“Our conversations have been around ‘mate, you make it hard for these kids, I don’t want to gift them any games,'" Nicks asserted.

"We’re not going to gift games, they have got to earn their spot.

“At the moment, he’s our best forward. He’s performing really well, he’s crashing in, he’s competing.

“(However) it’s going to be an interesting season, whether we need to manage him at points, that’s what a lot of clubs do with 30-year-old plus players.”

“(However) it’s going to be an interesting season, whether we need to manage him at points, that’s what a lot of clubs do with 30-year-old plus players.”

:oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

Could it be? Our first ever foray into common sense player management

Remove this Banner Ad

Back