Training 2021 Pre-Season Training Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm curious as to why Laird has never been included in the leadership group or spoken about as a leader at our club.

Bloke is a 2x AA, B&F winner, still absolutely in his prime, never been injured, suspended, etc.

He's easily the best player on our list, but has never been even remotely considered a leader.
Doesn't strike me as a leader. Neither did Brad Crouch or Dangerfield while they were here

I dont think Nicks would do that. I'd imagine he would want to hold on to both Laird and Crouch. Its not really up to him though.

How many of you have b1tched about the long contracts for Sloane and Lynch? Others say stop making these these same stupid mistakes. So why should we give 5 years contracts to a couple of F/As when we have already drafted their replacements.

Crouch plays one position only at a high level. Laird can play back and as a mid but he is a shorty with a terrible kick.

Get what you can for them, go to the draft and the next year there is money to buy a couple of gun players.

How many of you have b1tched about the long contracts for Sloane and Lynch? Others say stop making these these same stupid mistakes. So why should we give 5 years contracts to a couple of F/As when we have already drafted their replacements.

Crouch plays one position only at a high level. Laird can play back and as a mid but he is a shorty with a terrible kick.

Get what you can for them, go to the draft and the next year there is money to buy a couple of gun players.
The more experienced players often help develop the younger guys, set standards, impart wisdom etc. We need to hang on to some experience. Go look at Melbourne and Carltons bad years if you dont believe me. That's what happens when you cut too deep.

Our list is already very young and we're likely to have more high draft picks on the way. I dont see the need to get rid of both Laird and Crouch. Would prefer to keep one especially given I dont rate our footy depts. ability to get fair compo for these guys after the fiasco with Brad.

My thoughts on Crouch and Laird is that both should go. Laird has been at least 2 5 year deals interstate according to a news article I read. Crouch hopefully attracts a reasonable deal as well.

We have young mids champing at the bit to get a game with a mids draft coming up. Will we miss their "experience", maybe, but they'll want more than we're prepared to pay.

Time to make the most of the few remaining assets we have.
I don’t agree as we will end up like Carlton, if we let them both leave. Walker and Sloane might have the respect of the group but are nowhere near the players they were and Talia is showing signs of slowing down and getting some injuries over the last few years. That will leave us with no experience at all. All our old players are near the end and we have absolutely no one within that 23-27 age bracket with 100 games.

Problem is we need at least 1 to stay but if we offer them2 year deals, they will both leave for a better contract and more money.

I believe we can keep both as to help the young fellas develop, we did play our best footy with them in the middle. Plus the decision will be Nicks who will want to improvehis win/loss record. Pedler Berry and shoeberg need to develop and become flexible and play forward as well, they all look like players who enjoy a goal.

Should be given squirts in the midfield to inject some energy which was sadly lacking from all our mids bar Keays on the weekend...All of Sloane, Laird and Hately were majorly disappointing. Schoey I want to see more from also.
Noticed, yet again, we couldn't apply defensive pressure at centre bounces .....Port Waltzed away at ease

Time for Pedlar and Berry

When will the club come to the realization that Sloane's time in the midfield has gone past him

Last edited:
Noticed, yet again, we couldn't apply defensive pressure at centre bounces .....Port Waltzed away at ease

Time for Pedlay and Berry

When will the club come to the realization that Sloane's time in the midfield has gone past him
Hately was a worry also, I want to see a lot more energy from him and more focus on the pill and less on his opponent....1st possession is what we should be focusing on.

Jesus I love Neddy, what a super little bloke.
I know Hamish is copping some s**t re recruiting .....but Jones, Fog, Ned, Schoenberg, Pedlar, and Berry, are all hard nuts ....exactly what you need in Finals Footy

I will also add, I thought Hinge showed a lot in the SANFL game ....enough to suggest he'll be a real asset to this club going forward

Last edited:
Hately was a worry also, I want to see a lot more energy from him and more focus on the pill and less on his opponent....1st possession is what we should be focusing on.
Hasn't impressed at all so far ......I don't think hately is a natural midfielder, in the vein that Pedlar and Berry are

13 games as a Mid, 20 YO .......maybe expectations were a touch high, and people thought he'd make an instant contribution

Think the club knows exactly where Hately is, saying "he's in the mix for a R1 game"

Time for Pedlay and Berry

Given how poorly run our club is, they will wait for us to be brutalised for a few rounds before they make the obvious decision of promoting Berry and Pedlar.

Sloane will keep giving us mediocre performances expected from a player at the end of his career and we won't be able to drop him because those morons allowed him to retain the captaincy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given how poorly run our club is, they will wait for us to be brutalised for a few rounds before they make the obvious decision of promoting Berry and Pedlar.

Sloane will keep giving us mediocre performances expected from a player at the end of his career and we won't be able to drop him because those morons allowed him to retain the captaincy.
I hadn't understood or heard the comment by Nicks about the 2mtr speed at scrimmages, referring to how good Laird is

But Sloane is not quick off the mark, nor is Keays, who needs to gather pace and hit the ball at pace ....making him look quicker than he is

This is where the few times Stengle was in the CBA's he looked good, same as Betts when here

Also think Ned is good in those confined spaces, and I'm big on CB players having a good sidestep .....Jones is like Keays, not having a sidestep, but hitting the contest at pace

Hasn't impressed at all so far ......I don't think hately is a natural midfielder, in the vein that Pedlar and Berry are

13 games as a Mid, 20 YO .......maybe expectations were a touch high, and people thought he'd make an instant contribution

Think the club knows exactly where Hately is, saying "he's in the mix for a R1 game"

He was OK in the internal trial. Disposal a bit s**t but that's not unexpected for this time of year. I didn't like his blind handballs to no one on the weekend - better to be caught HTB than just cough it up.

Needs to lift this week though.

At this stage neither Sloane or Hately should be spending the majority of time in the centre.

I would be picking Berry over Hately in the side.

Need to reward form of he younger players... particularly when we are in rebuild mode.

At this stage neither Sloane or Hately should be spending the majority of time in the centre.

I would be picking Berry over Hately in the side.

Need to reward form of he younger players... particularly when we are in rebuild mode.
Fine balance, because Hately is also a younger player.

I'd find a spot for him.

I know I'm seriously reaching here, looking for any positives in Chayce Jones' drafting... but there was one moment in Saturday's game where he reminded me of Charlie Cameron.

Jones took the ball on the wing, and used his extreme pace, racing to 30m from goal, burning off opponents in his wake, just as CC used to do. Furthermore, just like the definitive CC play, he then sprayed the kick. It was like being transported back, momentarily at least, 5 years into the past...

Time for Pedlar and Berry

You try telling him he isn't playing midfield....

The answer of course is about 2 years after it was obvious to everyone else

Seedsman in the centre was a red flag for mine, from a coaching perspective. Especially with Schoenberg only getting limited opportunities in there.

Berry, Thilthorpe, Berg instead of Sloane, Walker and Fog.
Sloane won't be dropped unfortunately. At least while he is captain. Would bring in Thilthorpe, Himmelberg, Worrell, Berry, Pedlar, Doedee (if fit), Crouch(if fit) for Fogarty, McAsey, Kelly, Lynch, Milera, Murray, Frampton/Walker.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back