Training 2021 Pre-Season Training Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Won't play I wouldn't have thought. If the foots sore, even if the scans are clear, you would rest him.

Will be interesting to see who comes in if he does miss.
Be stupid to play him.. would rather they throw someone like davis in there instead..

An early test of our sensibleness quotient
Pretty sure we've used up our one sensible decision for the year already.

I've never seen so many different ways to spell Keays in this thread.
I like Keez tho. Played with heart when noone else would. I'll be dissapointed if he gets squeezed out. He could still develop further.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will Hammill at the 19.10 minute mark,

Who do you think benefits from such a deal?

After all, its us doubling down on the fact that our future lives with our 1-4 year players. Plus there is also more money available to them (which I forgot to mention earlier).

Don't live in a fantasy world with this, the big winners of flicking Crouch lie in our younger players. Football is too ruthless of an industry to be upset when opportunity comes knocking. Nor is it a brain fade. We should be moving on one of Crouch or Laird this offseason.
You're taking the human element out of this.

Young players will see all the work Matt does, how he helps them with their game, how he's a leader around the club. They'll no doubt see a bunch of games this year where Matt is the Crows best player, probably helping us pinch a few games we probably shouldn't have won.

They will share good and bad times with him.

No one actively cheers against their friends. If they see the club let him walk or only offer unders for him, they're not going to think "great, that means more for me." They're going to think that the club has disregarded and dismissed one of the mates and someone they respect.

Yeah agreed. And on either or both that'd be enough for me.
That's terrible.

They will probably be our two best players this year, and both would have to be in the mix for our B&F.

We lose them, then we need to replace them, and the 20-something best 18 year old in Australia is very unlikely to ever deliver what you know Laird and Crouch offer right now.

I think we probably WILL look to move on Laird abd Crouch when the time is right.

But you don't let them walk in free agency if you're only getting pennies on the dollar.

You're taking the human element out of this.

Young players will see all the work Matt does, how he helps them with their game, how he's a leader around the club. They'll no doubt see a bunch of games this year where Matt is the Crows best player, probably helping us pinch a few games we probably shouldn't have won.

They will share good and bad times with him.

No one actively cheers against their friends. If they see the club let him walk or only offer unders for him, they're not going to think "great, that means more for me." They're going to think that the club has disregarded and dismissed one of the mates and someone they respect.
+1 especially the bolded bit. I'd add to that that the players then think, well if they were happy to move on one of our best players, what about me???

+1 especially the bolded bit. I'd add to that that the players then think, well if they were happy to move on one of our best players, what about me???
The players should understand where the club is at, though.

If we can get a couple of good picks from them leaving (let's say a tier 1 and a tier 2 compo picks), Rory & Matt get lucrative contracts and maybe good chances at a flag, and our youth get more game time, then everyone wins.

Are you sure Nicks is going to do that. Neeld is the same as Knights, both make lousy head coaches but manage to keep on in a minor coaching role.
I dont think Nicks would do that. I'd imagine he would want to hold on to both Laird and Crouch. Its not really up to him though.

I would think that ambitious players who believe they can be the no 1 and dominate in a flag will be upset that the establishment are hogging the prestige. They will look around for more money and more attention from a club with a promising young list.

Easy going team oriented happy to wait their turn types however would feel reassured to see Crouch and Laird rewarded for their efforts, and comforted they too will eventually get the same reward themselves.

I'm curious as to why Laird has never been included in the leadership group or spoken about as a leader at our club.

Bloke is a 2x AA, B&F winner, still absolutely in his prime, never been injured, suspended, etc.

He's easily the best player on our list, but has never been even remotely considered a leader.

I'm curious as to why Laird has never been included in the leadership group or spoken about as a leader at our club.

Bloke is a 2x AA, B&F winner, still absolutely in his prime, never been injured, suspended, etc.

He's easily the best player on our list, but has never been even remotely considered a leader.

Being a good player <> being a good leader though. And being in the leadership group shouldn't be an award just for being a good player.
Comes across as a very quiet, reserved bloke. Not so surprising that he's not in there, and good chance that's the way he prefers it.

That's terrible.

They will probably be our two best players this year, and both would have to be in the mix for our B&F.

We lose them, then we need to replace them, and the 20-something best 18 year old in Australia is very unlikely to ever deliver what you know Laird and Crouch offer right now.

I agree with all this - except the part about it being terrible. For me is all about the end game and how we best get there. Our B&F this year is less important.

That said, I just looked up ages and was surprised to see Crouch still only 25. That does lean me a bit further towards keeping him, depending on the cost.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back