Training 2021 Pre Season training watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Totally agree with this. I think I'm just impressed with what I have seen of his forward craft in the last month. I really didn't expect it to come on this quickly.
Pretty sure he grew up playing forward, and he just exploded in size. Might be starting to see the start of him putting on a ton of muscle for his frame.

This might be why the forward play has come on so quickly but it’s his development that is allowing to compete again.

good signs anyway

Wouldnt the powers that be want Reeves to be a 1st ruck sooner rather than later.
If he can rest forward with good effect that would be a bonus I would have thought.
He should be honing his ruck craft this year and build his strength for a tilt at 2022 as the numero uno in the big man department.
Cegs still has 2 years on his contract and by all reports is looking better than he has in years. With he and the captain in the squad, it’s hard to see Reeves squeezing in for at least a season or 2 unless it’s due to injury.

Cegs still has 2 years on his contract and by all reports is looking better than he has in years. With he and the captain in the squad, it’s hard to see Reeves squeezing in for at least a season or 2 unless it’s due to injury.
If say what PhatHQ said comes to fruition, is it possible that we have 3 talls in the side with BB down back and Reeves n Cegs rotating forward?

i think this may be a long, lean season but i believe if we start seeing names like CJ, Moore, Jeka, Kosi, DGB, Day consistently in the seniors and Wingard, Impey and JOM having AA-level seasons it will be a really fun and exciting one despite the losses
I dare say if all 3 have AA seasons then we'll be in the finals mix

I dare say if all 3 have AA seasons then we'll be in the finals mix
Three players who at their best bring the best out of others and have the ability to pull off some miraculous things. If those three are in AA form I'd expect us to be top 7~

Big boy down back is something that will hopefully stay in 2020.
I was the biggest critic of BB @ CHB in 2020 - it was quite horrible (not BB, but our collective backline & how his presence hurt our dynamics; not to mention our Ruck issues), but if Cegs is fit & in form in the Ruck, then I'm happy with BB @ CHB in 2021.

Great info form Jaegar & Dutchy, I'll add my thoughts.

The intensity of the play went up a few notches from last week. There was very little holding back, much more like the real deal. The boys not afraid to hit each other hard.

Not playing: T & S Mitchell, Saunders, Sic, Pepper and Gunston

Lots and lots of jumper swapping and moving players between teams and 8 Box Hill players out there so it was quite difficult at times to tell who was who but here goes:

Moore was outstanding. Hard at it, clean, evasive, laying tackles, kicking goals, he was doing it all. he would go from a hard contest in the centre where he would have a direct hand in winning the ball for his team and then bob up in the forward line to take a mark or lay a tackle. Simply outstanding. I have really enjoyed watching him this pre-season.

Likewise Damon Greaves who once again was Mr Reliable in the back line. Always cool and calm and always hitting targets. Has a real knack for getting through congestion and setting up the run from halfback and like Dylan Moore, he is tough.

Impey was superb. Intercept marking and generating run off half back

Chad was sublime. Clearance after clearance. Goal assists. kicking goals.

Jaegar reigned supreme in the midfield. Showcased the full suite of skills and kicked at least one ripper goal.

Got my first really good look at Tom Philips today. He was excellent. Great piece of play where he had the ball on the far wing, brushed off the tackler and then centered the ball with a low fast kick to his team mate 40 metres away with pinpoint accuracy, which led to a goal. There was zero room for error on that kick and he nailed it. He was really good all day.

Jeka was the dominant big forward on the ground. Took a bunch of good marks inside 50 and also used his body well and got a few frees. Could have had 4 or 5 goals if he'd converted all of them. What really stuck out about him today was his field kicking. A couple of times delivering low, flat 40m bullet passes inside 50 straight on to the chest of his teammate. He oozes confidence and seems to be fit and strong and ready to go. He's going to be exciting to watch when he gets his opportunity.

Connor Downie was a bit scratchy early on but as the game went on he got better and better and by the last quarter he was having a big impact. On multiple occasions he streamed down the ground confidently taking 3 or 4 bounces before delivering to the forward line. Really impressive and a good preview of what he will bring to the team.

Breust was good as was Shiels.

I thought Howe played really well off half back. Took some good strong marks and distributed well.

CJ has to be in the best 22 at this point in time. Yes, he can be somewhat unpredictable at times. he might drop an easy mark or shank a kick, but the amount of pressure he puts on opposition is staggering. He is relentless and generally hassles his opponent into making a mistake. This combined with his attacking flair makes him an irresistible prospect in my opinion. He seems to be almost everywhere, almost all of the time.

DGB seemed to be manning up Kosi a lot of the time and while he wasn't as noticeable as he was last week, I think his main job was to shut down Kosi which he mostly did well with some great, perfectly timed spoils. Kosi pushed up the ground a bit to break the shackles and became more involved as the link man with strong marking and delivery into forward 50 much in the way Schoenmakers was used late in his career. He then switched to defence for the last quarter.

Really liked the look of Josh Morris today. He faded out of it a bit but early on he was excellent. Took a great mark and went back and kicked it form a tight angle.

Brockman had some good moments but perhaps the step up in intensity showed him up a little. He finished up early for the day a little sore, but nothing too bad that I could see.

Cuz was sketchy early but really fought back hard to have a big impact in the second half. It was almost like 2 different players.

Reeves was really good. Seems he has gone from an unknown quantity to a very solid prospect in one year. When he goes forward he marks well and is very good with the set shots. Also has good leading patterns.

Finn ran really hard all day. Played mostly outside mid including some stints on the wing. As the game went on his endurance came to the fore and allowed him to get involved more, getting more of the ball and burning off his opponent.

Worpel was excellent. Best I've seen from him so far this pre-season.

Burgoyne played in defence and was just classy as usual.

Lewis had some good moments but was not dominant. Kicked a goal or two.

That's all I've got.
Many thanks to everyone for the write ups.
Sounds like the backline is taking shape with Jars and Greaves two of the standouts, CJ and Scrimmers very solid, Denver showing good signs, and there’s Day who has been earmarked for defense. I wonder where does this leave Dimma? I haven’t been hearing much. Is he likely to play up forward or still defence but gone down in pecking order?

Great info form Jaegar & Dutchy, I'll add my thoughts.

The intensity of the play went up a few notches from last week. There was very little holding back, much more like the real deal. The boys not afraid to hit each other hard.

Not playing: T & S Mitchell, Saunders, Sic, Pepper and Gunston

Lots and lots of jumper swapping and moving players between teams and 8 Box Hill players out there so it was quite difficult at times to tell who was who but here goes:

Moore was outstanding. Hard at it, clean, evasive, laying tackles, kicking goals, he was doing it all. he would go from a hard contest in the centre where he would have a direct hand in winning the ball for his team and then bob up in the forward line to take a mark or lay a tackle. Simply outstanding. I have really enjoyed watching him this pre-season.

Likewise Damon Greaves who once again was Mr Reliable in the back line. Always cool and calm and always hitting targets. Has a real knack for getting through congestion and setting up the run from halfback and like Dylan Moore, he is tough.

Impey was superb. Intercept marking and generating run off half back

Chad was sublime. Clearance after clearance. Goal assists. kicking goals.

Jaegar reigned supreme in the midfield. Showcased the full suite of skills and kicked at least one ripper goal.

Got my first really good look at Tom Philips today. He was excellent. Great piece of play where he had the ball on the far wing, brushed off the tackler and then centered the ball with a low fast kick to his team mate 40 metres away with pinpoint accuracy, which led to a goal. There was zero room for error on that kick and he nailed it. He was really good all day.

Jeka was the dominant big forward on the ground. Took a bunch of good marks inside 50 and also used his body well and got a few frees. Could have had 4 or 5 goals if he'd converted all of them. What really stuck out about him today was his field kicking. A couple of times delivering low, flat 40m bullet passes inside 50 straight on to the chest of his teammate. He oozes confidence and seems to be fit and strong and ready to go. He's going to be exciting to watch when he gets his opportunity.

Connor Downie was a bit scratchy early on but as the game went on he got better and better and by the last quarter he was having a big impact. On multiple occasions he streamed down the ground confidently taking 3 or 4 bounces before delivering to the forward line. Really impressive and a good preview of what he will bring to the team.

Breust was good as was Shiels.

I thought Howe played really well off half back. Took some good strong marks and distributed well.

CJ has to be in the best 22 at this point in time. Yes, he can be somewhat unpredictable at times. he might drop an easy mark or shank a kick, but the amount of pressure he puts on opposition is staggering. He is relentless and generally hassles his opponent into making a mistake. This combined with his attacking flair makes him an irresistible prospect in my opinion. He seems to be almost everywhere, almost all of the time.

DGB seemed to be manning up Kosi a lot of the time and while he wasn't as noticeable as he was last week, I think his main job was to shut down Kosi which he mostly did well with some great, perfectly timed spoils. Kosi pushed up the ground a bit to break the shackles and became more involved as the link man with strong marking and delivery into forward 50 much in the way Schoenmakers was used late in his career. He then switched to defence for the last quarter.

Really liked the look of Josh Morris today. He faded out of it a bit but early on he was excellent. Took a great mark and went back and kicked it form a tight angle.

Brockman had some good moments but perhaps the step up in intensity showed him up a little. He finished up early for the day a little sore, but nothing too bad that I could see.

Cuz was sketchy early but really fought back hard to have a big impact in the second half. It was almost like 2 different players.

Reeves was really good. Seems he has gone from an unknown quantity to a very solid prospect in one year. When he goes forward he marks well and is very good with the set shots. Also has good leading patterns.

Finn ran really hard all day. Played mostly outside mid including some stints on the wing. As the game went on his endurance came to the fore and allowed him to get involved more, getting more of the ball and burning off his opponent.

Worpel was excellent. Best I've seen from him so far this pre-season.

Burgoyne played in defence and was just classy as usual.

Lewis had some good moments but was not dominant. Kicked a goal or two.

That's all I've got.

Sounds like essentially every player was amazing. It's particularly good to hear that the youngsters like Moore and Greaves are up and about, and that Impey is looking fit.

Love this quality in a key forward because it's something that the best have. Think about guys like Buddy, Riewoldt, Gunston and Hawkins - their delivery I50 is always phenomenal because they understand how they want the ball coming in, and how they'd lead in to it.

I was the biggest critic of BB @ CHB in 2020 - it was quite horrible (not BB, but our collective backline & how his presence hurt our dynamics; not to mention our Ruck issues), but if Cegs is fit & in form in the Ruck, then I'm happy with BB @ CHB in 2021.

I would still rather see BB play ruck/fwd. The thing he does up forward is give us a genuine pack/contested marking option. And considering last year 99% (so it seemed) of our fwd entries were just long bombs he would be ideal to have up there.

I think we actually have a good collective of taller defenders. It just seemed like he got exploited by teams putting a smaller player on him. Sure it did work occasionally.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apparently he reckons he's right for the Dons game.
Yeah but we all know Tom would’ve played the back of the year he broke his leg if the medicos let him. You’d think the call won’t be just his as he is just too important to risk if he’s not right yet and we really need him to have an injury free year.

As we all know everyone is training the house down. I do however have a general observation about training this year

We are very much ahead where we were last year in terms of our training our skills and player availability. This is especially true of our KPs (fingers crossed touch wood etc)

We have made changes to the way we transition the ball and some structures have been tweaked. We look a lot more organised in attack this year and look a lot more aggressive out of defence. Having Impey back is huge. Some of our other youngsters have progressed

However like some would argue the real test is against real opposition. We will know a lot more after the practice match against the Bulldogs.

As we all know everyone is training the house down. I do however have a general observation about training this year

We are very much ahead where we were last year in terms of our training our skills and player availability. This is especially true of our KPs (fingers crossed touch wood etc)

We have made changes to the way we transition the ball and some structures have been tweaked. We look a lot more organised in attack this year and look a lot more aggressive out of defence. Having Impey back is huge. Some of our other youngsters have progressed

However like some would argue the real test is against real opposition. We will know a lot more after the practice match against the Bulldogs.

Do you think Impey will play down back or up forward? Also is Day a chance of playing on the wing?

Love this quality in a key forward because it's something that the best have. Think about guys like Buddy, Riewoldt, Gunston and Hawkins - their delivery I50 is always phenomenal because they understand how they want the ball coming in, and how they'd lead in to it.

I was always amazed by Buddy's field kicking, I remember him hammering 60m bullets onto leading forwards and being amazed - just think wow, this guy is an absolute weapon... how many KPF could legitimately be a scary wingman?

Many thanks to all our dedicated training attendees. Really appreciate these reports as a distraction from the serious issues of the day.

A general question to all training watchers. What is the general standard of our handballing during the simulations? This is an area where we have been substandard for a number of years. Too many panicky handballs to players under pressure, whereas teams like Richmond are skilled at long handballs out of congestion.

Just on Big Boy at CHB, I believe the success or failure of this move will largely come down to the amount of pressure applied up field. He reads the ball in flight brilliantly and will cut off a heap of leading options and intercept where he can. If however, the opposition is able to walk it down the wing then he will be caught out for pace and agility big time. Our smaller more agile backline has likely been introduced to help BB if the oppo go small and quick...

I was always amazed by Buddy's field kicking, I remember him hammering 60m bullets onto leading forwards and being amazed - just think wow, this guy is an absolute weapon... how many KPF could legitimately be a scary wingman?

It makes me sad to think about it. Both Buddy and Rioli were two of the most magnificent field kicks and we were spoiled with both of them for years.

Cyril still holding up #1 in average goal assists across his career.

I remember Matthew Richardson went close to winning a brownlow on the wing towards the end of his career.

He had similar traits to buddy, massive units who could also run like the wind.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back