Training 2021 Pre Season training watch

Remove this Banner Ad

I enjoyed reading Sam Mitchell talk about some of our under 22 talent this morning. It seems Downie has been impressive so far and is a big chance to start on the wing in round 1. Grainger-Barras it seems has a bit of a way to go aerobically but talent and footy IQ wise is pushing for a spot early. Brockman seems super exciting and plays a role we are desperate to fill... he could be the steal of the draft.

Others he mentioned were Worpel, Scrimshaw, Day, Lewis, Kosi and Moore. Which makes me wonder where Maginness is at? Also Morris?

Hey All, any news if the clubs will resume training if lockdown extends?
Given the AFWL is playing games.
Boys are still training just in groups of 10 only with one coach and with no contact between groups. Two groups on the oval at one time in half the ground only, one group doing weights and the other fitness / grappling work. Will be that way until restrictions are lifted.

Boys are still training just in groups of 10 only with one coach and with no contact between groups. Two groups on the oval at one time in half the ground only, one group doing weights and the other fitness / grappling work. Will be that way until restrictions are lifted.
This defies logic. We have a group of, what, 60-80 players and staff who's broader movements can be reasonably controlled, can congregate in the club/change rooms but only train in groups of 10. Are they scheduling these groups to finish training and shower, dress, leave the building? Are they sanitizing the change rooms after each group of 10 finish?

The thing is, each club has 80 odd people involved. These 80 can isolate themselves and their movements between home and training with limited risk. And for what? 6 new cases yesterday. Similar number to every day over the past month. Sure, have restrictions, but a little common sense wouldn't go astray.

I guess we have to be seen to comply.

This defies logic. We have a group of, what, 60-80 players and staff who's broader movements can be reasonably controlled, can congregate in the club/change rooms but only train in groups of 10. Are they scheduling these groups to finish training and shower, dress, leave the building? Are they sanitizing the change rooms after each group of 10 finish?

The thing is, each club has 80 odd people involved. These 80 can isolate themselves and their movements between home and training with limited risk. And for what? 6 new cases yesterday. Similar number to every day over the past month. Sure, have restrictions, but a little common sense wouldn't go astray.

its the same protocols that they were operating with in the previous lockdown. Yes, everything is fully cleaned down including training balls, gym equipment , mats etc before the next group moves to that station. The 10 players only have direct contact with the one coach. The rest of the support team operate from a distance and no contact. Players still get the work in, just in smaller groups at this stage. same requirements for all Victorian teams to keep training. Once the group has finished they must leave the facility, no communal gathering areas (kitchen, showers etc).

the point is to have a shorter lockdown early instead of a long one later, this is 'defending 'the AL season

the point is to have a shorter lockdown early instead of a long one later, this is 'defending 'the AL season
I get your point. But I also think that the 60-80 involved could have tight restrictions on movements between home and club as an isolated group. Not hard.
Protecting the season is one thing, but it is really out of anyone's control. All it takes is another super carrier to break quarantine and we get a repeat of last years Melbourne breakout.

Clarko talks mental health on Dyl and Friends

“Yeah I’m not sure either but it happened and I’m rapt about it!! This week on the show x4 AFL Premiership Coach from Hawthorn Football Club, Alastair Clarkson!!

Unbelievable sitting down and chatting about this legends story to date! Thanks to Tackle Your Feelings Australia for making this happen! 💝

Check it out!
Spotify - https://spoti.fi/3ded6qQ
iTunes - https://apple.co/3b7Jade”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No longer old and no longer ignoring the draft. :)
If Burger and McEvoy, (and Brooksby) go at the end of the year, our average age will be very much toward the lower end of team averages.

(That's neither a good nor bad thing...just a 'thing')

If Burger and McEvoy, (and Brooksby) go at the end of the year, our average age will be very much toward the lower end of team averages.

(That's neither a good nor bad thing...just a 'thing')

Would only take Burgers when you take Scully and Patton out of the equation. With Scully and Patton gone I think we are already in the lower half of age profile even with Burgoyne

I get your point. But I also think that the 60-80 involved could have tight restrictions on movements between home and club as an isolated group. Not hard.
Protecting the season is one thing, but it is really out of anyone's control. All it takes is another super carrier to break quarantine and we get a repeat of last years Melbourne breakout.
I think one of the reasons for the squad being broken up is so that if a player does test positive only a small portion of the list has to isolate rather than all and sundry.

Would only take Burgers when you take Scully and Patton out of the equation. With Scully and Patton gone I think we are already in the lower half of age profile even with Burgoyne
So by round 2 or 3 we can fully expect the media telling us which veterans we should look to add to our list. Ahhh the circle of life and putting the boot into the Hawks. That train is never late 😂

I think one of the reasons for the squad being broken up is so that if a player does test positive only a small portion of the list has to isolate rather than all and sundry.
I suspect if a player did test positive the whole list and support staff would end up having to isolate. The small groups now would hopefully just dramatically lower the chances that anyone else would end up testing positive as a result.

Clarko talks mental health on Dyl and Friends

“Yeah I’m not sure either but it happened and I’m rapt about it!! This week on the show x4 AFL Premiership Coach from Hawthorn Football Club, Alastair Clarkson!!

Unbelievable sitting down and chatting about this legends story to date! Thanks to Tackle Your Feelings Australia for making this happen! 💝

Check it out!
Spotify - https://spoti.fi/3ded6qQ
iTunes - https://apple.co/3b7Jade”

Great listen. Thanks for that.

I suspect if a player did test positive the whole list and support staff would end up having to isolate. The small groups now would hopefully just dramatically lower the chances that anyone else would end up testing positive as a result.
The point I was trying to make, not well it seems, is that if the players are broken into training groups rather than training as a whole squad, there is less risk of the entire squad, coaches etc having to isolate for two weeks in the event of a positive test. I'm not an expert on the Covid isolation regime but my understanding is that close contacts are required to isolate for the full 14 days but it is not so stringent for casual contacts. In the Conor McKenna case last year I think only one other player was deemed a close contact due to the fact training was broken into squads.

The point I was trying to make, not well it seems, is that if the players are broken into training groups rather than training as a whole squad, there is less risk of the entire squad, coaches etc having to isolate for two weeks in the event of a positive test. I'm not an expert on the Covid isolation regime but my understanding is that close contacts are required to isolate for the full 14 days but it is not so stringent for casual contacts. In the Conor McKenna case last year I think only one other player was deemed a close contact due to the fact training was broken into squads.
Falgent: Understood on your point. fewer people exposed... makes sense in a usual community.

The fact is that if ANY AFL player or close contact staff member tests positive... the comp is off for at least 14 days.

There are no negotiations on parts of the group being OK or that a group is separated. Or even that another club has done the right thing. The league may stop if ONE person in the bubble tests positive... certainly a game or two will.

Players lick their hands for grip on the ball, they tackle each other and breath heavily on each other.

It is a crap situation but if anyone in the bubble tests positive... we will all lose our favourite spot.

And the league and our clubs will haemorrhages more money.

There is no compromise on this. There is No way around it. It is crap, but it Is what it Is... for now.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back