Draft Review 2021 - Revisit the 2021 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Thomas kicked 3 in a half, so not sure if it applies to him.

Sydney will get first look in a fortnight 😀 apparently we are going up early and playing you another time before the official preseason game.

I am glad about that as the more practice the better. Swans have a lot of young guys that need game time to show what they can do.

If it is true I hope one of Sydney or North live stream the game.

Last edited:

I am glad about that as the more practice the better. Swans have a lot of young guys that need game time to show what they can do.

If it is true I hope one of Sydney or North live stream the game.

North won’t, our media team have pretty dismal the last couple of years putting out footage. I’m not sure if most clubs are in a similar boat with Covid. You would think it should improve during covid times, but I guess a drop off in staff has also been a factor. Fingers crossed Sydney get something going.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

North won’t, our media team have pretty dismal the last couple of years putting out footage. I’m not sure if most clubs are in a similar boat with Covid. You would think it should improve during covid times, but I guess a drop off in staff has also been a factor. Fingers crossed Sydney get something going.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I could be wrong but I think we play the swans in the nab community series. That will be on Foxtel.

The week before we have an unofficial match against the demons at Arden st. I see no reason why there won’t be a stream of that as there has been in previous years.

Erasmus will be the first debutant for us this year barring a serious injury between now and the start of the season.

Might not play round 1 but will play the first month I imagine and if reports are correct, might not leave the team after that.

Johnson has a minor foot injury and Amiss will likely only play a few games this year unless we have a bunch of injuries up front (always a good chance with Freo)

Shaping to be a solid draft.

Daicos, Ward, Rachele, Wang-milera, Hobbs, JHF are some of the first rounders making an early impact.

The later picks have some gems too, obviously players lack of exposure had them in the back of the draft.

Curtis (p35), Windhager (p47), Motlop (p27), Sonsie (p28), butler (p23) all playing some good footy.

Keen to revisit this one in 5 years. Wonder if Daicos will still be the stand out of this draft.

Shaping to be a solid draft.

Daicos, Ward, Rachele, Wang-milera, Hobbs, JHF are some of the first rounders making an early impact.

The later picks have some gems too, obviously players lack of exposure had them in the back of the draft.

Curtis (p35), Windhager (p47), Motlop (p27), Sonsie (p28), butler (p23) all playing some good footy.

Keen to revisit this one in 5 years. Wonder if Daicos will still be the stand out of this draft.
Yep, Jake Soligo since coming back in to the side in round 9 has averaged 15.4 disposals and kicked 6 goals.

Have also liked Connor MacDonald from Hawthorn.

With the H&A season over, where do we see these players ranked?

For me, its:

1) Nick Daicos - this one speaks for itself
2) Sam Darcy - don't think there's much bias about this one. I'm more excited for this kid than I was for Bontempelli and Naughton. Genuine unicorn.
3) Jason Horne-Francis - tough year, but he's shown plenty of AFL traits that demonstrate that he is likely to be a star of the competition
4) Nic Martin - surpassed many expectations and was a shining light in a poor Bombers team this year
5) Josh Rachele - looked a superstar in patches and in others, he couldn't get it going. Really liked what I saw though
6) Josh Gibcus - really good year in a tough position for a skinny kid. Can see him building into a great KPD
7) Josh Ward - poor at the start of the year, but impressive after he came back into the team for the last half of the year
8) Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera - saw enough of him to like his traits
9) Marcus Windhager - plenty to like with what he brings to the table. Will be a solid midfielder
10) Ben Hobbs - similar to Windhager, I like what I see and there's enough there to suggest he'll be a good midfielder.

I've definitely missed a few players, and my word is hardly gospel.

For me, its:

2) Sam Darcy - don't think there's much bias about this one. I'm more excited for this kid than I was for Bontempelli and Naughton. Genuine unicorn.
3) Jason Horne-Francis - tough year, but he's shown plenty of AFL traits that demonstrate that he is likely to be a star of the competition
4) Nic Martin - surpassed many expectations and was a shining light in a poor Bombers team this year
5) Josh Rachele - looked a superstar in patches and in others, he couldn't get it going. Really liked what I saw though
6) Josh Gibcus - really good year in a tough position for a skinny kid. Can see him building into a great KPD
7) Josh Ward - poor at the start of the year, but impressive after he came back into the team for the last half of the year
9) Marcus Windhager - plenty to like with what he brings to the table. Will be a solid midfielder
10) Ben Hobbs - similar to Windhager, I like what I see and there's enough there to suggest he'll be a good midfielder.

I am very confident Jesse Motlop will be a top 10 player of this draft, possibly as soon as the end of next season.

Kid has just got it. Aside from prodigious talent and ability to be a goal sneak, his chasing and forward line defensive pressure/tackling is something that has been such a delightful surprise to me and a quality I think endears him to Vossy.

He certainly exceeded my expectations of him :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am very confident Jesse Motlop will be a top 10 player of this draft, possibly as soon as the end of next season.

Kid has just got it. Aside from prodigious talent and ability to be a goal sneak, his chasing and forward line defensive pressure/tackling is something that has been such a delightful surprise to me and a quality I think endears him to Vossy.

He certainly exceeded my expectations of him :)
Agreed, definitely think he has massive upside. His x-factor is something that could definitely project him as finishing higher on these rankings, compared to run of the mill inside mids.

My rankings of who have played enough games so far and that I've seen:

1. Daicos, hard to even make a case for someone else being no.1
2. Darcy, Looks like he can be a superstar at either end of the ground
3. JHF, tough year but even then has shown heaps to become a superstar.
4. Gibcus, most KPDs suck in their first year but Gibcus has already shown a lot
5. Rachele, had an explosive enough start that it simply wasn't replicable in the second half, should be a really good midfield/forward prospect ala Heeney.
6-8. Ward, Hobbs and Windhager all tied. All of them have shown they can be quality inside midfielders, I have a hard time splitting them to be honest.
9. Martin, looked really good for Essendon however he is mature and is likely to improve less compared to others. Not sure how high his ceiling is either.
10. Paul Curtis, I may be bias but I think he's got it all to be a quality forward. Good hands, dubiously strong, quick and knows where the goals are. Just played with dogshit supply.
11. Jesse Motlop, looks a quality crumming forward for the Blues, nothing much more to say about him but that's not a bad thing.
12-14. Jake Soligo, NWM and Macdonald. All similar players who have displayed great skills as running outside players.

Obviously there's a lot to go still. I loved what I saw from Goater and Amiss in their first games and JVR I think is kicking bags in the VFL.

I think Motlop will be like the other Motlop in the AFL previously.
Good players, but not great players. Could end up something like Steven Motlop at Port.
Nothing wrong with that at all, a 200 game small forward from pick 27 is bloody good

For me, its:

That's a pretty good summary I reckon.

As good as he was I'm not sure if have Martin that high though. Being a mature ager I expect most of those other guys going past him.

Another ordinary year on field for my team, but the positive was that we managed to get a couple of kids that would be rated in and around the top 10 and another who would be top 20.

I think Motlop will be like the other Motlop in the AFL previously.
Good players, but not great players. Could end up something like Steven Motlop at Port.
Nothing wrong with that at all, a 200 game small forward from pick 27 is bloody good

Things that have held previous Motlop's back from being higher ranked has mostly been inability to win their own ball and/or laziness. Stephen Motlop suffered from inconsistency mostly because he was mainly a receiver (ie he relied on teammates winning and feeding the ball to him). These players are generally more prone to inconsistency as you stop the supply, you stop them. He was a solid player and validated his selection, but not a superstar.

The other Motlop I saw enough games from to comment on (Daniel) wasn't able to go further than he did due to his unwillingness to work harder than he did. He'd regularly kick bags of goals at local league level where his superior talent was enough, however, at AFL level this lack of work rate when compared to other players held him back.

If Jesse continues to work and doesn't fall into the trap of relying solely on his natural talent, there's no reason barring injury he can't become a superstar of the competition, he definitely has the talent and goal sense.

My rankings of who have played enough games so far and that I've seen:

1. Daicos, hard to even make a case for someone else being no.1
2. Darcy, Looks like he can be a superstar at either end of the ground
3. JHF, tough year but even then has shown heaps to become a superstar.
4. Gibcus, most KPDs suck in their first year but Gibcus has already shown a lot
5. Rachele, had an explosive enough start that it simply wasn't replicable in the second half, should be a really good midfield/forward prospect ala Heeney.
6-8. Ward, Hobbs and Windhager all tied. All of them have shown they can be quality inside midfielders, I have a hard time splitting them to be honest.
9. Martin, looked really good for Essendon however he is mature and is likely to improve less compared to others. Not sure how high his ceiling is either.
10. Paul Curtis, I may be bias but I think he's got it all to be a quality forward. Good hands, dubiously strong, quick and knows where the goals are. Just played with dogshit supply.
11. Jesse Motlop, looks a quality crumming forward for the Blues, nothing much more to say about him but that's not a bad thing.
12-14. Jake Soligo, NWM and Macdonald. All similar players who have displayed great skills as running outside players.

Obviously there's a lot to go still. I loved what I saw from Goater and Amiss in their first games and JVR I think is kicking bags in the VFL.

The saints kids look real good in the vfl

Remove this Banner Ad

Back