1st ODI: 11 July 2021 (Malahide)
2nd ODI: 13 July 2021 (Malahide)
3rd ODI: 16 July 2021 (Malahide)

1st T20I: 19 July 2021 (Malahide)
2nd T20I: 22 July 2021 (Belfast)
3rd T20I: 24 July 2021 (Belfast)

-

South Africa extended squad:

Temba Bavuma (c), Quinton de Kock, Bjorn Fortuin, Reeza Hendricks, Heinrich Klaasen, George Linde, Sisanda Magala, Keshav Maharaj, Janneman Malan, Aiden Markram, David Miller, Lungi Ngidi, Anrich Nortje, Andile Phehlukwayo, Dwaine Pretorius, Kagiso Rabada, Tabraiz Shamsi, Rassie van der Dussen, Kyle Verreynne, Lizaad Williams.

Disappointed in a lack of Test match cricket for this tour. Not sure if it's a covid thing, but I fail to understand how sides like Ireland are supposed to qualify for the WTC when the amount of Tests they play is almost zilch. Still, it's a great chance for Ireland to right the ship & score a big win in home conditions. I have a feeling that if Ireland can get some good results with its current crop of youngsters, they can once again cause problems for the bigger international sides.

The lack of test cricket is probably because Ireland Cricket makes a big loss when they host it.
Sadly another example of the capitalist stranglehold choking the life out of Test cricket. The ICC should be making some effort here to get at least one match scheduled. For all the talk of the financial equity created by the current system, the fact that sides like NZ & Ireland struggle to host Test matches at all is of huge concern.

The lack of test cricket is probably because Cricket Ireland makes a big loss when they host it.
It's also because South Africa are required to tour Ireland for these ODIs as part of the ODI Super League and there's a T20 World Cup coming up so they'll want to get T20s in for practice. Neither team really want to play a Test.

Ireland cricket have made a great point in relation to Test cricket in that by being excluded from the WTC and having no means to qualify for it they have no reason to play Test cricket and the opposition no reason to play them. They've removed all red ball cricket from their domestic comps this season as white ball cricket is the only place they see that they're allowed to at least compete at the top level.

They've removed all red ball cricket from their domestic comps this season as white ball cricket is the only place they see that they're allowed to at least compete at the top level.
Wow, that's genuinely alarming. The Irish cricket board really put a lot of effort into making their FC comp a reality, as it was one of the main prerequisites for Test status. To be fair, I agree with them, the ICC need to remove the word "World" from the WTC in my opinion.

Wow, that's genuinely alarming. The Irish cricket board really put a lot of effort into making their FC comp a reality, as it was one of the main prerequisites for Test status. To be fair, I agree with them, the ICC need to remove the word "World" from the WTC in my opinion.
Part of the reason they suspended it was due to covid and the likelihood of a shortened season

Ireland cricket have made a great point in relation to Test cricket in that by being excluded from the WTC and having no means to qualify for it they have no reason to play Test cricket and the opposition no reason to play them. They've removed all red ball cricket from their domestic comps this season as white ball cricket is the only place they see that they're allowed to at least compete at the top level.
Any wonder Ireland cricket is seething. The ICC needs a good wake up call. I too read similar to what you wrote corbies. Ireland have prioritized white ball cricket because there is “no context or consequence for Test cricket” for countries outside the nine-team World Test Championship (WTC). Bewildered the ICC granted Ireland Test status after what a decade of almost begging for it, yet since, they have barely played any more than a single Test at any one time.. let alone a series. They see no way into the WTC at present. What the ICC is doing is forcing Ireland and Afghanistan into being a white ball playing nation only. Thus eroding the status of Test cricket even further.

Last edited:
That is a bloody disgrace. No wonder they are p***ed off big time. I too read similar to this. Ireland have prioritized white ball cricket because there is “no context or consequence for Test cricket” for countries outside the nine-team World Test Championship (WTC). The ICC need a good wake call. They grant Ireland Test status after what a decade of almost begging for it, yet since, they have barely played any more than a single Test at any one time.. let alone a series. They see no way into the WTC unless the ICC changes tact. What the ICC is doing is forcing Ireland and Afghanistan into being a white ball playing nation only. Thus eroding the status of Test cricket even further.
Part of the issue at the moment is travel with covid a lot of tours have been canceled. Cricket Ireland canceled the FC season as they didn’t think a full season would of been possible with covid

Ireland squads:

ODI squad: Andy Balbirnie (captain), Mark Adair, Curtis Campher, George Dockrell, Graham Kennedy, Josh Little, Andrew McBrine, Graeme McCarter, Barry McCarthy, William Porterfield, Simi Singh, Paul Stirling, Harry Tector, Lorcan Tucker, Craig Young.

T20I squad: Andy Balbirnie (captain), Mark Adair, George Dockrell, Shane Getkate, Josh Little, Barry McCarthy, William McClintock, Kevin O'Brien, Neil Rock, Simi Singh, Paul Stirling, Harry Tector, Lorcan Tucker, Ben White, Craig Young.

Some uncapped players in this Ireland squad, so definitely a few players to keep your eye on. Just read that this is Ireland's first international series in over a year, so hopefully they can hit the ground running.

Some uncapped players in this Ireland squad, so definitely a few players to keep your eye on. Just read that this is Ireland's first international series in over a year, so hopefully they can hit the ground running.
I assume you mean in Ireland as they played the Netherlands in an ODI series last month?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ireland squads:

ODI squad: Andy Balbirnie (captain), Mark Adair, Curtis Campher, George Dockrell, Graham Kennedy, Josh Little, Andrew McBrine, Graeme McCarter, Barry McCarthy, William Porterfield, Simi Singh, Paul Stirling, Harry Tector, Lorcan Tucker, Craig Young.

T20I squad: Andy Balbirnie (captain), Mark Adair, George Dockrell, Shane Getkate, Josh Little, Barry McCarthy, William McClintock, Kevin O'Brien, Neil Rock, Simi Singh, Paul Stirling, Harry Tector, Lorcan Tucker, Ben White, Craig Young.
No Boyd Rankin.. retired?

White ball, white ball.. ad nauseum. Ideal chance for the two countries to have scheduled in at least one Test rather than three ODIs. Lord knows Ireland needs to be playing far more Test cricket than at present. Australia is still to play Ireland in the three years since granted Test status.
The ODI's are apart of the ODI Super League, which is the whole reason South Africa are touring Ireland. But I agree that this was a perfect opportunityto play a test

The ODI's are apart of the ODI Super League, which is the whole reason South Africa are touring Ireland. But I agree that this was a perfect opportunityto play a test

None were scheduled in the FTP though.

There was 1 Test in the FTP against Zimbabwe following this series but that was cancelled

Deutrom also commented on the lack of upcoming Test matches for Ireland, stating: "Fans may also recall that the original FTP included a Test match against Zimbabwe in 2021. Unfortunately, due to the fixture rescheduling of the international cricket calendar, and twin financial constraints brought about by Covid and the fact that we do not have a dedicated cricket stadium yet, we are simply unable to afford a home Test in 2021.

"Test cricket is still a highly-revered format of our sport that we will be seeking to play more frequently in future years, however, given the reasons stated, and the fact it is a T20 World Cup year, the board felt our priority should be white-ball cricket this season to give our squad the best chance of success on the world stage."

Ireland looked to be playing well before rain called the match off. Especially since it would have been very moist during their innings.

When did George Dockrell become a top order batsman?
Since Irelands one day comp gained OD status in 2017 he's averaged 101 in it. Has reinvented himself as a batting all rounder.

Andy McBrine batting 3 on the other hand I cannot explain. Seemed to come in as a pinch blocker.

Big win for Ireland overnight. South Africa's death bowling was some of the worst you will see at international level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back