VFL 2021 VFL R2 v Essendon (Sat 24-Apr 2pm @ Victoria Park) - [live on 7plus ?, kayo, Casey radio]

Remove this Banner Ad

Looking at our VFL and AFL line-ups, it really stands out to me that we need to recruit a forward with the build of a Noah Balta or a Harry Mackay. We have too many that are too short (Henry) and/or too skinny (McMahon) and/or too lumbering (Cox).

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Looking at our VFL and AFL line-ups, it really stands out to me that we need to recruit a forward with the build of a Noah Balta or a Harry Mackay. We have too many that are too short (Henry) and/or too skinny (McMahon) and/or too lumbering (Cox).

Need a top 5 pick to get that calibre of tall forward that we really need generally

Thought McInnes was much more involved this week; still in and out of the game, but had a few patches where he'd get 4-5 touches in quick time.

It was obvious from the warmup that Essendon were physically bigger than us. That extra size coupled with pressure meant we were pushed around and struggled to get clean footy especially inside the contest.

That was the difference all day. Reduced to 9 senior listed players at the opening bounce. Bigger, stronger and cleaner around the stoppages. They were also on top in the air. Gave them pretty clean F50 entry and lots of F50 marks. Their VFL squad probably stronger and more experienced than ours. Losing Sier before the game and Lane early didn’t help that. Cox, Lynch and Henry the extent of our players with AFL senior experience.

Schreiber and Stackelberg the pick of the VFL listed players.

Good to see the development squad kids get a run. Thought Dib in particular showed plenty.

Reiterate what most suggest, Poulter the stand out of the senior listed guys. Disposal this week a vast improvement.

McInnes a much improved performance this week.

Ditto Wilson who I thought was our best through the defensive group.

Tohill solid again this week.

All the other senior listed kids had moments.

DidakaVFL (senior listed only)

5 Poulter
4 Lynch
3 Wilson
2 Tohill
1 Cox

That's the first time I've seen any of the kids play, save for McCreery's second senior game. Horrible dirty day, but I came away thinking that a few of the kids are showing something, seem closer to AFL standard and with some points of difference, than a lot of our low draft picks and speculative kids of the last few years. Importantly, they dont look like a bland beige bunch of stock standard ordinary footballers. Of which we've had a few.:oops:

I feel more hopeful after that game, than before.

Six goal loss in the end. Out-gunned.

Poulter BOG for us by a mile. Gets to the right spots, finds the ball a lot and always drives it forward. He looks ready for Seniors. Would be way better on a wing than Mayne, Madgen, WHE or either Brown brother.

Ginnivan worked tirelessly and Dibb showed a lot of endeavour, tackling pressure and run.

Wilson looked OK at times in defence. Henry shows glimpses of Matthew Lloyd, albeit shorter in height. But he doesn’t get the ball enough to force promotion into Seniors yet.

You understate the intensity and physicality at the AFL level if you think Poulter is a better option than Mayne.

Agree that he was our best, gets to the right spots and is so clean and positive in the way he moves the ball. Will be a player, I’d be inclined to bring him in too. See how he finds at the top level, his performance warrants an opportunity and as you’ve pointed out, there are some that aren’t doing their best to keep their spots.

Agree with your other comments also, we are pretty screwed for matching draft points with both Dibs and Daicos next year. Dib, is so clean and similar to IQ in that he’ll be ready to go.

I think there is a lot to like in McMahon also. He competes very well overhead, my fear is that like most our forwards he won’t reach his potential with the poor way we deliver the ball inside 50. Really need to convert those crunch time goals though. I’d want to see him taking his chances and kicking bags before being considered.

Ginnivan did some nice things, pressures...tackles is and around the mark, you need those types.

Reef I’m liking the cut of his jib, needs to improve his kicking. Takes the game on, is pretty good in traffic...just didn’t have the 1-2 counterpart often enough.

Cox I think needs to be traded as seasons end, he will perform better in more skilful and attacking side but also I’m sick to death of his half hearted attempts. He shouldn’t need someone getting up in his grill to perform. You’re either a professional athlete or not.

Chugg - even though he’s ready made body wise, he’s got a lot to learn about when to the play the man and when the ball. He would be at sea at the AFL, a good development year ahead for him I think.

Wilson - you’d really want stand out performances from a seasoned professional athlete at the VFL level. Wilson didn’t do that today, he was solid but not dominant. I’d bring him in for Madgen for a couple of games, just to see whether he’s AFL quality, sometimes that brings out a better performance. Will aid the decision making on list positions come end of year.

Tohill I thought was better today, intercepted well and his kicking is not bad. Athletic big men are in short supply, I think he deserves a go too.

Lynch would get a game at most AFL clubs, see how Cameron goes this week but I’d reward him with another game and particularly if Cox is so lax in the 2’s.

That's the first time I've seen any of the kids play, save for McCreery's second senior game. Horrible dirty day, but I came away thinking that a few of the kids are showing something, seem closer to AFL standard and with some points of difference, than a lot of our low draft picks and speculative kids of the last few years. Importantly, they dont look like a bland beige bunch of stock standard ordinary footballers. Of which we've had a few.:oops:

I feel more hopeful after that game, than before.
The raw materials would seem to be there - hopefully they aren't mishandled and wasted.

Need a top 5 pick to get that calibre of tall forward that we really need generally

No really. Balta and Naughton both went in the teens. We need recruiters good enough to identify them and bold enough to take a risk at the draft table, instead of going for the safe and predictable assortment of mids and utilities.

When have we EVER selected a top tier KPF at the open draft? Moore, Mihochek, Kelly, Clokes and Roccas all came to us via different routes. Maybe Tarrant? He’s about all I can think of.

Poor showing by the vfl side today after last week – depth being tested now. Really important that the VFL listed players create a strong foundation for the side. The likes of Wellings, Tardrew, Glover, Lane, Hustwaite will need to get better. The cameraman can be added to that list – struggled to know where the ball was.

Maybe it’s having a number of top up players, but our set up looked poor. Bombers ripped it out of our forward line too easily, bombers had space in their forward line and clearance work not surprisingly was poor. Disappointing that Sier was not able to play. Exactly the game he needs to dominate in.

Poulter: he’ll thrive with better players around him. Getting plenty of the ball, breaks the lines, love that left foot. A little wayward today but progressing well and not far away from debuting.
McInnes: More involved than last week. Still rusty which is understandable, but he does have that Pendles like style where he looks like he’s in slow motion. I can't wait to see him nailing those goals on the run.
Dib: Has that Dion Prestia body type. Got better as the game went on and really impressive. Tackling machine, with class and keeps his feet. We may have to have a chat with Dib and tell him to settle down as we’ll have no points to draft him if keeps playing like this.
Tohill: One of the biggest improvers on the list. He can really roost the ball. Is very mobile for his size. Love to see how he progresses in the backline.
Henry: Class written all over him. Want him to do more but that’s me being impatient.
McMahon: Like Henry I want to see more but I do have to realise they haven’t played much footy in the last 12 months.
Wilson: Had a good game, definitely improved, is stronger and looks solid down back with his clean kicking. Not sure what his one on one is like and doesn’t have a burst of speed.
Ginnivan & Chugg: Both very skilled players. Chugg might have being doing a lock down job because he was quiet. Ginnivan in and out of the game. Need to see more of them.
Cox: Will probably have a week off with the trip he did. I expect more from him. Just put him the ruck and get him to battle all day. Too inconsistent and should be dominating at this level.
Lynch: For me he’ll always be a VFL player. He started well but so too did his opponent.

Poulter reminds me of Isaac Smith. He never filled out but had the instincts, skill and run to succeed. I see all of that in Poulter.

His metres gained and inside-50 stats will be huge. Always looking to attack. Always looking to drive the ball forward.

Poulter reminds me of Isaac Smith. He never filled out but had the instincts, skill and run to succeed. I see all of that in Poulter.

His metres gained and inside-50 stats will be huge. Always looking to attack. Always looking to drive the ball forward.

That will frighten the hell out of our forwards because . . .
1. They have never seen such an animal.
2. They will be forced to become genuine forwards

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No really. Balta and Naughton both went in the teens. We need recruiters good enough to identify them and bold enough to take a risk at the draft table, instead of going for the safe and predictable assortment of mids and utilities.

When have we EVER selected a top tier KPF at the open draft? Moore, Mihochek, Kelly, Clokes and Roccas all came to us via different routes. Maybe Tarrant? He’s about all I can think of.

Naughton pick 9, consider a defender at the time IIRC.
Balta pick 25.

Still have hope McMahon can get a game or two this year. He has very good hands. Like what I have seen so far.
It certainly looks like it at this stage - at the way we are losing players to injury and a dearth of form players we should be cycling the list hard.

Still have hope McMahon can get a game or two this year. He has very good hands. Like what I have seen so far.
He’s got great hands, but with our delivery is going to struggle this year. Our forward structure and entries had been very poor so far. No space at all. Hopefully seen some improvement

Good turn out given the weather. My boy didn’t do a lot but what he did was good.

The rest

Poulter very good but turned it over a fair bit but will play 1’s very soon

Dib, unfortunately will go below 20 absolute jet and the talk of the crowd

McMahon, l like what I see and will be a good smart forward in 2 years time.

Henry, needs a breakout game to build his confidence but stands out on the ground and can see why we rated him

McInnes, not sold on him just yet

Cox, looks cooked

Wilson ok looks like Haynes, wish he played like him

Tohill, there is something there, hope it comes out

Chugg & Giv couldn’t tell which is which but hit a bit of it

Lynch, present my boy his Jumper and was ok, good bloke apparently

The team was put together over the last 2-3 days with much preparation and it showed

Essendon team are full on fat little *ers and just showed too much experience for our boys

Good to be back at Vic park !

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Barrackers were you sitting near Dave?
Yeah, think so. At least after it rained anyway. I could hear Dave supporting the players and letting the umps know his thoughts from a few rows behind me.

Dib won't go top 20, just based on his height in general. Wasn't in the academy squad which is the best 21-26 players in the country.

yeah, he has a lack of size and not a massive amount of production so far, could slide to later in the draft or get a bid at the mid point.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back