Women's Footy 2022 AFLW Season Discussion (now Player Movement)

Remove this Banner Ad

Qld under 18 not totally disgraced against vic metro yesterday. 4.4 28 to 7.17 59. Could have been ugly if metro kicked straight.

Metro hammered vic country so they are likely the strongest team.

Brilliant news :D

Party Fun GIF by Solar Impulse

I think the new facilities have come just in time to help retain players. Unless Bates was going to get some ambassador level pay and a lucrative side gig it wouldn't be worth leaving a foundation club where you get to stamp your own history and become a legend. Imagine if she gets to 100 plus games and wins another premiership here. She will become Voss level for the Lions AFLW team. Maybe gets a stand at Springfield named after her. At the bombers she will just be another player.

am I right in thinking we won't have Lutkins for this next season too?

Dunno what to read into about O'Dwyers post. Will she be returning for the whole next season two even with the potential clash for gaelic football?

Oh and while i'm asking questions i'm too lazy to find out myself, how long do we need to be on tenterhooks waiting for someone to poach our players before that period ends and we are locked in?

Dunno what to read into about O'Dwyers post. Will she be returning for the whole next season two even with the potential clash for gaelic football?

Oh and while i'm asking questions i'm too lazy to find out myself, how long do we need to be on tenterhooks waiting for someone to poach our players before that period ends and we are locked in?
Draft is scheduled some time in June, so ~2 months.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Draft is june 1.

Lutkins out as is Gabby Collingwood for the entire next season.

Heard different things about Orla the last was she is playing here, hence the operation now

Lions coach Craig Starcevich believes some of the contracts being offered to AFLW players by the four new teams are “ridiculous” as he star midfielder Emily Bates’ loyalty.

Weeks after taking out the competition’s best and fairest award, Bates was crowned Brisbane’s club champion for a third time.

Bates then during her acceptance speech publicly reaffirmed her long-term commitment to the Lions and declared she would remain at the club, despite significant approaches from rival clubs

Veteran football journalist Caroline Wilson reported Hawks men’s coach Sam Mitchell had rung Bates last week to entice her to come to the club.

Hawthorn will be one of four new teams that will enter the AFLW next season, with the Hawks, Power, Bombers and Swans to make it an 18-team competition.

Speaking at the Lions’ best and fairest count after Bates pledged her loyalty to Brisbane, Starcevich suggested the quartet of new clubs were being aggressive at the trade table.

Emily’s played for us for six years … she is the (netball star) Laura Geitz of Queensland footy now, if you like, in terms of her status in this state,” Starcevich told the club’s website.

“We’re so, so pleased that she’s going to be a Lion for at least eight years of her career – and hopefully the whole lot.

“It’ll all come out in the wash, but she’s actually sacrificed a fair bit to be here because the four (new) teams are just being ridiculous with offers and that sort of stuff.

“We’re just ecstatic that she’s chosen us. She’s got a great connection with her teammates, she’s a great driver of standards and her training ethic is beyond peer, really.”

Bates said she received “some incredible offers from different clubs and amazing opportunities presented”, but said Brisbane “feels like my family”.

As I’ve said a few times, we have a bit of a sisterhood here with the girls and I think we are on the brink of something pretty special here if we keep the group together,” she said.

At the end of the day, I play football to for team success, to win games of footy and hopefully win a premiership. I see that happening hopefully in the next few years here and that’s what really formed my decision.

“I did think about (rival offers) for a little while only because sometimes you think about what a new challenge might look like for you or a new environment and how you could develop in that way. But I think this season, same environment but just bringing in even a new midfield coach – and that really did a lot for me.

“I think the grass isn’t always greener on the other side. It’s green where you water it.”

:'( :sob: :sob:

with people like starc and bates, we're a goddamn verdant football oasis here :D
If it continues, I wouldn't be surprised if players start to seek out playing in Brisbane. A bit like the Storm.

I love the girls footy but there isnt enough talent for 18 teams. Wood be much better comp if it was limited to 8-10 teams and they were all stand alone teams not tied to AFL clubs but that boat has sailed awat.

Love the loyalty of our girls tho. esp Bates.

View attachment 1385132

I don’t know whether it is just me or not, but is this a bit wrong?

Doesn’t there still need to be a trade done between the 2 clubs?

She isn’t just automatically a Port player is she?

A bit in poor taste if you ask me.
Expansion rules - you can directly sign uncontracted players.

Yeah that sux!
Nah. They are on 20k a year (not Phillips) so most want to stay in the same city. There isnt a lot of trading. Adelaide have first call on all of their academy players anyway.

Our first confirmed exit:

Thought it was rough for us to drop her after she had a great game for us this season. She'll for sure get consistent games at one of the new clubs!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back