List Mgmt. 2022 GWS GIANTS List Management (Trade/ Free Agency/ Draft/ Academy)

Remove this Banner Ad

Only Journo I'm really trusting on GWS rumours stuff is Ralphy imo, he's presented most of the GWS stuff in a pretty positive light. He was the first one from memory calling it a "salary cap reset" when others started going with "fire sale and exodus", all this positivity makes me think his information is GWS sourced otherwise they wouldn't be giving it someone who's going to be presenting it in a negative tone. Everything else I think you really have to tread lightly with it and doesn't mean Ralphy is always right either but think his hit rate is a bit higher.
Great call

No. I've gone through the numbers in detail earlier in the thread, but essentially:
  • main list: 36 - de Boer, Brander, Davis, Hill, Taranto, Bruhn, Hopper + Brown (from rookie B) = 30
  • rookie list: 7 (incl Derksen MSD) - Stein, Sproule + Davis (after ND) = 6
If we get Beford but not Soldo, that's still only 5 spots. If we take both, it's only 4 spots. We can match a bid for Harry Rowston, if we want him, with a couple of later picks. So essentially, we could use as few as 3 live picks, with a maximum of 5.

Personally, I wouldn't take Soldo, just F1 + #30. Sell #19 into next year. #44 for Bedford. If we can't trade any cheaper, #3, #12, #18 to Norths for #1 with a future 3rd coming back (if possible).

Take #1, 15, 19, 30, 61, 63 to the draft for 4 selections and matching on Rowston.

That number might slightly change depending on what we do with O'Halloran and Shaw

That number might slightly change depending on what we do with O'Halloran and Shaw
XOH, yes. Shaw's a Cat B rookie, so I can't see that he would. While I'm not seeing anything much with him, there's also little point in cutting him this year with no standouts to come in Cat B. Then again, Shaw was a complete unknown when selected as Cat B!

XOH, yes. Shaw's a Cat B rookie, so I can't see that he would. While I'm not seeing anything much with him, there's also little point in cutting him this year with no standouts to come in Cat B. Then again, Shaw was a complete unknown when selected as Cat B!
I think we will hold on to XO for another little stint for his intensity and depth.
If he can fix his kicking he could be okay...I'm not holding my breath mind you

By hoarding so many first round picks, by goodness I hope the recruiting team is on the ball in terms of who is traded/drafted.

Preaching to the converted here, but this year's trading/draft period could well be the most important in this club's history.

I think we will hold on to XO for another little stint for his intensity and depth.
If he can fix his kicking he could be okay...I'm not holding my breath mind you
Losing 3 other mids - we should hold him, even if he's got issues. (He has some good points.) Otherwise, our depth is sorely tested and reliant on newbies (some of whom may not be any better than him).

If we're interested in Soldo, that tells me Kingsley thinks he's worth a look.
Could it be overstating it that Adam Kingsley might be the most under-pressure first year coach in a long while?

We're re-building, the MSM has acknowledged this, but I don't think they're going to be forgiving if all these first-round picks don't result in early improvement.

Could it be overstating it that Adam Kingsley might be the most under-pressure first year coach in a long while?

We're re-building, the MSM has acknowledged this, but I don't think they're going to be forgiving if all these first-round picks don't result in early improvement.
To be honest I doubt we need any of these picks to be instantly contributing to improve markedly .... plenty of talent if we get the team fit and on the field

To be honest I doubt we need any of these picks to be instantly contributing to improve markedly .... plenty of talent if we get the team fit and on the field
The fact Soldo is being discussed says we're not happy with our ruck situation, which shouldn't surprise anyone.

Was watching some of Finn's highlights from his draft year since we didn't get to see much of him last year and there isnt a player I'm more excited for next year then him so big and skillful with his foot skills
Check out his debut too. The quality.
I watched him pretty closely across his matches. I don’t think he turned it over once and made great decisions under pressure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

3 and 12 for pick 1?
Yeah I reckon that's about right. Any more would be taking the piss. You get a great player at 12. And they will get a great player at 3 (Wardlaw or Sheezel).

Callaghan is super exciting. Hopefully his foot is sorted and he can get a good preseason under his belt. Big unit, great runner, fantastic kick.
Resign him NOW

I'd be filthy if the roles were reversed and we gave up Pick 1 for 3 and 12, realistically we'd have to be willing to lose 3 of the first rounders at a minimum, and North would be likely to ask for a future first to be included in that which isn't something I'm not a big fan of.

Keep 3, if we don't get Cadman tough luck, he's not going to fix everything regardless of how good he is at the next level, I'd rather use our strong draft hand to get into next years first round than sell off that opportunity

I'd be filthy if the roles were reversed and we gave up Pick 1 for 3 and 12, realistically we'd have to be willing to lose 3 of the first rounders at a minimum, and North would be likely to ask for a future first to be included in that which isn't something I'm not a big fan of.

Keep 3, if we don't get Cadman tough luck, he's not going to fix everything regardless of how good he is at the next level, I'd rather use our strong draft hand to get into next years first round than sell off that opportunity
Which is just my two cents, if we manage to get Pick 1 and get more future firsts I'm happy

Hey guys hope trade period is keeping you guys busy haha.

I know I keep banging on about this but we NEED to trade into the future or we just end up in the same position with multiple second year top 20 draftees wanting to request to go home because we can't afford to pay all of them the premium we have to pay. So by the looks we are going to be selling the farm to get Aaron Cadman... Is he even that good? From what I have read he is 194cm which is 1cm shorter than Hogan and dominant key forwards for the most part are a good 3cm+ taller than him. I would rather us take the best available at #3 (hopefully Wardlaw) and try and trade #12 and/or #19 into the future. Then we can take a key forward or small forward at #18, Rowston later on.

We have that many 'new recruits' already next year because of the guys who didn't play footy last year. Namely Callaghan & Brent Daniels I feel wil make the biggest difference to the team.

Then, hopefully next year we have out first rounder, Richmond's first rounder and 2 other first rounders from trading out #12 & #19

Sorry for the intrusion.

If we could get a third pick that allows us to get Hunter Clark from the Saints, then I think the deal happens.

I agree 100% we would essentially be paying 3-4 first rounders to get a now under sized key forward... No thanks

3 and 12 for pick 1?
No way North trade 1. They want Cadman! So has to be an extraordinary deal to make them budge. Would basically take Pick 3 and 3 other picks and a player to bodega the points up.

If they get 2 from WCE you will get that but not much use if Cadman is off the board.
If it were me I would take either Sheezel or Wardlaw at 3 and try and use them other picks 15, 18, 19 to get a pick that will get you Jefferson. Maybe a 6, 7, 8 or 9

Something like this...
3 - Wardlaw / Sheezel
8 - Jefferson
12 - Humphries / Phillipou
19 - Hollands

Remove this Banner Ad

Back