2022 Hawthorn List Management Discussion (including Trade, FA period)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m all in on Stack!
I think Sydney needs to go back and play at a lower level for a few years then realise what he lost and then find his way back into the system a la Pickett - not just for his football but for who he is as a person.

It's worth keeping in mind that at the end of next year we will need to cut/trade at least 3 players unless we keep a few spots open as there will likely be no retirements.

I wonder if this is something the club is considering.

Well apparently there is only 10-12 identified as playing in our next flag so there’s a potentially a swag of players not in the club's long term plans. Dare say the club realises there’s a ways to go.

Last edited:
Me too! I've got about 20 kegs to lose, but I'm fully prepared to be chuck that jumper on and sit in the goal square.
I remember that the club did pivot away from athletes to footballers with talent. Cause they can make them athletes.

In my mind.....I have talent!

Well apparently there is only 10-12 identified as playing in our next flag so there’s a good 20-30 who aren’t in the long term plans. Dare say the club realises there’s a ways to go.
Newcombe
Ward
McDonald
Sicily
Hardwick
Lewis
Day

Hopefully:
Meek
Stephens
Amon

Potential:
Butler
CJ
DGB

Is this what you are thinking?

Well, dang it all! I’ve been sitting here on the bench, just waiting for footy boots to require a studder again. Who knew they needed me to play, instead?! Okay, I’m sure they need a really small, but slow forward. I’m here, ready and willing. I can even supply my own guernsey. It doesn’t matter that it has HFC Finance on the front, does it?!?

Well apparently there is only 10-12 identified as playing in our next flag so there’s a good 20-30 who aren’t in the long term plans. Dare say the club realises there’s a ways to go.
Seemed a little unnecessary to me for MM to mention a figure an actual figure of 10-12. There's transparency and then there's morale sapping bluntness. Unless they saying they have 10-12 who are 'locks' (as far as they can be) and then if others prove themselves, they'll add themselves to the list. Which I'd imagine would be more the case as you really couldn't know for sure. It's not an exact science.

Seemed a little unnecessary to me for MM to mention a figure an actual figure of 10-12. There's transparency and then there's morale sapping bluntness. Unless they saying they have 10-12 who are 'locks' (as far as they can be) and then if others prove themselves, they'll add themselves to the list. Which I'd imagine would be more the case as you really couldn't know for sure. It's not an exact science.
When he said it I immediately thought he was saying it as in we have the 10 locks, but the others need to improve which is understandable with such a young list,

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I believe that it’s 10-12 that have showed their worth within the list to have claims on being part of the next flag, they’re waiting on others to stamp their own papers with improved or realised talent, rather than needing to draft another 15 players.

I believe that it’s 10-12 that have showed their worth within the list to have claims on being part of the next flag, they’re waiting on others to stamp their own papers with improved or realised talent, rather than needing to draft another 15 players.

Oh for sure - but I was more answering the query that does the list management team realise they need to add more players next year which I am fairly sure they do.

I took comment as "we found 10-12 players that are locked and sealed good enough" that's not to say we don't have others on the list that could push into that 10-12 group. Looking at that group of 12 players I'm not sure why people aren't more hopeful about the coming seasons.

Sicily - Maybe too old
Amon - Maybe too old

Newcombe
Lewis
Moore
Ward
Day
Hardwick
Scrimshaw
Reeves
MacDonald
Jiath

Worpel
DGB

Meek
Brockman
Morrison
Blanck
Butler
Serong
Maginness

I took comment as "we found 10-12 players that are locked and sealed good enough" that's not to say we don't have others on the list that could push into that 10-12 group. Looking at that group of 12 players I'm not sure why people aren't more hopeful about the coming seasons.

Sicily - Maybe too old
Amon - Maybe too old

Newcombe
Lewis
Moore
Ward
Day
Hardwick
Scrimshaw
Reeves
MacDonald
Jiath

Worpel
DGB

Meek
Brockman
Morrison
Blanck
Butler
Serong
Maginness

Yeah I was silly to imply the rest of the list aren't in the plans. I more meant that there is clearly expected turnover still to come and was responding to that poster who was querying whether the list management team realised more players had to come in next season which I am fairly sure they would be prepared for.

Sicily - Maybe too old
Amon - Maybe too old
Newcombe
Lewis
Moore
Ward
Day
Hardwick
Scrimshaw
Reeves
MacDonald
Jiath

Worpel
DGB

Meek
Brockman
Morrison
Blanck
Butler
Serong
Maginness

You'd hope they have another 5-6 years of quality footy left, but given how far back we're coming from I agree who knows if that's enough time.

Not hard to identify 10-12 that could be in our next premiership team
Much harder to identify 10 that won't, apart from Breust and Chad
I would suggest TOM JOM Big boy Pup Howe Jack and Phillips would have made up the second group
Makes perfect sense of our end of season list management

I reckon it would be more that there are large number of youngsters for whom they are not yet certain, rather than they have already judged them not in our plans for a flag.

I reckon it would be more that there are large number of youngsters for whom they are not yet certain, rather than they have already judged them not in our plans for a flag.

Yup - I really should edit that comment but I got the meaning of my response wrong by saying the non 10-12 players would automatically be dispensable.

Broadly my point was - yes I am sure the list management team have a plan for the fact that they need to add further players to the list next year.

I think the 10-12 are there and hopefully there are more on the list we can add to that over the next season or two.

The big question for me is who are the bona fide stars that will take us from a finalist to premiers.

Every premiership team has 4-5… geelong (hawkins, danger, Cameron, stewart) & Melbourne (Petracca, gawn, Oliver, may).

Are ours on the list already - can Mitch Lewis be our Hawkins, Newk our dusty or DGB our rance. I think we need to find another couple - future free agent?

I think the 10-12 are there and hopefully there are more on the list we can add to that over the next season or two.

The big question for me is who are the bona fide stars that will take us from a finalist to premiers.

Every premiership team has 4-5… geelong (hawkins, danger, Cameron, stewart) & Melbourne (Petracca, gawn, Oliver, may).

Are ours on the list already - can Mitch Lewis be our Hawkins, Newk our dusty or DGB our rance. I think we need to find another couple - future free agent?
Exciting times for 2023 to see who emerges.

Hoping that Day, CJ, Brockman and Butler all have uninterrupted runs at it, unlike 2022, because they all have the capability to get us out of our seats in future years.

Still need to trade up with our picks in the 40's & 50's could push to the 30's from Brisbane & maybe even further up to the 20's maybe with Bombers...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back