List Mgmt. 2022 List Management: Draft, Trade and FA Pt2: Electric Boogaloo

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not denying he's a complete dickhead. Every club though says they have a no dickhead policy, including the ones that win flags with multiple dickheads playing. It's the biggest load of baloney to think we're so special that we couldn't use a dickhead with his talent

So are we going to go for him? I highly doubt it. Because, he's a dickhead. Not because we don't need his talent, because he's a dickhead. So tell us again that we don't have a no dickhead policy or a stringent character level if you like. We're not special, just smart.

So are we going to go for him? I highly doubt it. Because, he's a dickhead. Not because we don't need his talent, because he's a dickhead. So tell us again that we don't have a no dickhead policy or a stringent character level if you like. We're not special, just smart.
I'm not saying we should go for him, I am just sick of hearing bulldust that we have some special no dickhead policy and don't need kids from the wrong side of the tracks on our list

But poor culture gets you in the end - I'm not sure Melbourne is winning another premiership while Steven May is part of their 'leadership' group, despite the presence of Gawn and Petracca.

And footballing-wise, Stack isn't Martin or DeGoey.
Agreed but the fact you think our culture is so weak we couldn't bring a 21 year old into line says more about us than him. Geelong's no dickhead policy didn't preclude them chasing Jack Stevens (fail) or Tyson Stengle (bonanza). So do we think our culture is not as strong as theirs?

I'm not saying we should go for him, I am just sick of hearing bulldust that we have some special no dickhead policy and don't need kids from the wrong side of the tracks on our list
I'm not sure it is bull**** anymore. I think it used to be (clearly given some of our recruits) but there is a very consistent theme with players we target. I'm sure they are not all angels, but I think there is a line we draw now.

I would be interesting if there was a Fyfe or Dusty level talent that was a total campaigner available to us how we'd approach it.

However, one player the Dockers do hold an interest in is former Bomber Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti, who retired earlier this year after failing to make his way back to full fitness following injury.

But Walls confirmed that both Fremantle and McDonald-Tipungwuti are keen on the 29-year-old potentially lining up for Justin Longmuir’s side in 2023.

“He is keen. He’s got family in Perth, he’s been travelling round Australia in a caravan for six months since he retired and that’s how it all came about, when he was in Perth visiting family.,” the Fremantle list boss added.

“He’s back in Victoria at the moment but the plan is to start running and get himself fit. If we get through the draft and leave a spot open, (we’ll) look to get him over and do some training.”

Walls suggested that if the club was to take McDonald-Tipungwuti, it would be as a pre-season supplemental selection, meaning he could be signed early next year.

If you have a group of macho young blokes with big ambitions, self-confidence and minor celebrity status i think some conflict is going to be unavoidable, no matter what policy you have. The key is to have enough high-character and well-respected older blokes who can pull them into line when necessary and encourage a culture of accountability in the playing group. I reckon we have it too.

But we do. It's obvious and your post about comments on such being sanctimonious and baloney were ridiculous. If you were right, we would go for him because he's exactly what we need as a football talent.

But we do. It's obvious and your post about comments on such being sanctimonious and baloney were ridiculous. If you were right, we would go for him because he's exactly what we need as a football talent.
I think he's well off it at a work ethic level. That's why clubs like ours won't touch him, he's lazy. I am led to believe he's also a dickhead, but if he was a hard working dickhead rather than a slacker I would want him on our no dickhead list.

Edit and I just read the SEN interview above saying something similar to what I said here

Actually don’t mind media’s ‘dickhead’ however as Fremantle players, it’s fishbowl.
Hogan coming was the prime example . Given no time nor exception. With better support and management, he would’ve been okay.
Look at Collingwood. Didn’t fold, backed DeGooey. Now has a 5 year contract. Exactly the player we need. But Fremantle especially Bell would’ve sacked him. No Dickhead policies can mean no premierships. Just need to manage the talent effectively.
Don’t believe Acres was a dickhead. Interesting where that came from

Actually don’t mind media’s ‘dickhead’ however as Fremantle players, it’s fishbowl.
Hogan coming was the prime example . Given no time nor exception. With better support and management, he would’ve been okay.
Look at Collingwood. Didn’t fold, backed DeGooey. Now has a 5 year contract. Exactly the player we need. But Fremantle especially Bell would’ve sacked him. No Dickhead policies can mean no premierships. Just need to manage the talent effectively.
Didn't they put behaviour clauses in his contract?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have dickheads on the list. They're just smart about when/ where they're dickheads. And most importantly they don't let it impact their football.

I'd ease up on Collingwood being brilliant with DeGoey. A 5 year contract doesn't make him a good bloke. My money would be on another indiscretion rather than him leading fundraising initiatives for the needy.

Agreed but the fact you think our culture is so weak we couldn't bring a 21 year old into line says more about us than him. Geelong's no dickhead policy didn't preclude them chasing Jack Stevens (fail) or Tyson Stengle (bonanza). So do we think our culture is not as strong as theirs?
Say what?

We didn't yesterday, I heard some speculation from Journo's that it's probably the same as GWS but not sure I believed them at the time.

19 & Hawks full salary was the GWS offer.

Ours was Dogs F2 & Meek. If F2 is 30 again, then it's a 319 points difference or pick 46. Obviously future is worth less, 19 has hidden value & the points system is a bit broken but I still think we are in the ball park of the same. Especially when Hawks wanted Meek, JOM wanted Freo and it was in the last 5 minutes of the trade deadline.

Everyone else wildly speculates about contracts and money so I'm saying his wage is free next year to justify the price we paid.
Trade value depends on what price is allocated to Meek.

I’m going to say the Bulldogs improve slightly. JUH and Darcy look promising. Liam Jones is better than Cordy. Gold Coast have some academy picks - let’s say 32.

Meek - I reckon early third. Hawks wouldn’t budge on giving up F2 and we wouldn’t accept their F3. Hawks F3 was closer to the mark but we needed F2 for Sharp until JOM came into the fray. He only played 5 games but will be a good pick up. Let’s say 43.

The future 4th looks like being an early one. Let’s say 57.

32 & 43 > JOM & 57 (Equates to around 25-26) with some of his salary being paid in 2023. If I was to guess it will be around half for season one only.

GWS were offering 18/19 straight up.

Ryan Daniels said on the Hard Ball Gets Podcast that from what he is told, if there was another 20 minutes the Sharp deal would have been done.

Here if anyone wants to listen. Starts talking about us at 18:15 and talks about Sharp at 21:10:

We may or may not have a no dickhead policy, but we should have a policy that stops us from thinking we can change a dickhead once he gets here. Dickheads are irredeemable in my experience

Remove this Banner Ad

Back