List Mgmt. 2022 List Management: Draft, Trade and FA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guessing he pulled his finger out just enough to stay on.
Pretty poor take IMO Joao.

I watched Sturt's early games for Peel and his first two concussions were from a skinny kid throwing himself into packs Jonathan Brown style. Has since had a shocking run with injury, such that he hasn't had the preparation needed to produce his best. Did he really "pull his finger out" or is the club aware of his progression back from injury and prepared to give him a bit more time.

People constantly moan about us not drafting forwards. Sam was a highly rated mid-sized forward drafted in the first round - I have never understood the calls to scrap him at 22 years old. Some are calling for us to bring in a 190cm mid-sized forward who can't get a game with Gold Coast, let's see what Sam can do with a full pre season under his belt. If he can't get himself fit next season then for sure cut him loose.

Pretty fair debut for a club screaming out for goal kickers...

Fremantle Football Club
Sturt made his AFL debut for Fremantle in the opening round of the 2020 AFL season at Marvel Stadium against Essendon. He earned a Rising Star nomination after kicking three goals and amassing 10 disposals in the match.

Pretty poor take IMO @Joao.

It's what Longmuir said his game was missing and they were having him work on in the WAFL, intensity. It's nothing but sustained manic effort.

These things can always be more complicated below the surface. Players not offered contracts have to be delisted early in the process, letting other sides pick them up as delisted free agents, that's reasonable. If a club offered a player a bare minimum contract for a single year it prevents that until the PSD comes around, makes a trade happen, even if the contract elsewhere is ten times the size.

I watched Sturt's early games for Peel and his first two concussions were from a skinny kid throwing himself into packs Jonathan Brown style. Has since had a shocking run with injury, such that he hasn't had the preparation needed to produce his best. Did he really "pull his finger out" or is the club aware of his progression back from injury and prepared to give him a bit more time.

People constantly moan about us not drafting forwards. Sam was a highly rated mid-sized forward drafted in the first round - I have never understood the calls to scrap him at 22 years old. Some are calling for us to bring in a 190cm mid-sized forward who can't get a game with Gold Coast, let's see what Sam can do with a full pre season under his belt. If he can't get himself fit next season then for sure cut him loose.

Fremantle Football Club
Sturt made his AFL debut for Fremantle in the opening round of the 2020 AFL season at Marvel Stadium against Essendon. He earned a Rising Star nomination after kicking three goals and amassing 10 disposals in the match.

My so called calls to scrap him were largely based off watching AFL List Management for several years. I’m not sure I ever made the statement I would delist him if I was in charge of list management at Freo.

Sam Sturt played no games in the AFL all season despite only missing one or two WAFL games for the season. If a player does that and they are in their fourth year they usually get delisted.

Was also a bit concerned with how Sturt was playing like a tall forward at WAFL level. It’s a playing style I can’t see working for him at AFL level. I saw him play differently for a month or so before he dropped off again. That month or so gave me some belief he could be useful next season but still wasn’t sure the club would be that patient.

I’m still curious at the timing of this. He’s the type you sign up to fill your last couple of list spots. I think there’s enough noice around Banfield re-signing to say it’ll happen. We have Logue, Acres, Western, Wilson, Blakely and Crowden out of contract. The last two will be delisted, the middle two I had in the same basket as Sturt. I hope this doesn’t mean that Logue and Acres are out the door. Acres in particular will be harder to replace than people think.

Fair point.
Guess it’s how the club pitches the plans to play Jackson. If he is genuinely coming over to be our roaming forward option who pinch hits in the ruck ala Lobb. Or he’s going to be first choice back-up ruck.

Also agree that he would be silly to knock back more lucrative offers elsewhere, but I don’t see them coming.
Xerri is underrated, poor year due to injuries no? Plus they’ve got Edwards working away in the shed & CJJ.
Agree the hawks pair aren’t great but I’m sure they’ll persist with them.
Saints maybe if they want Marshall forward, but I’m sure like most clubs they’ve got a few backups toiling away waiting for a opportunity. We just happen to have a really good one. So unless somebody offers him a number one ruck roll or a strong offer, I’d rather pay the little extra $ to keep him around. Especially since I don’t think Darcy is that durable.

Unless we can really get overs from the scum then hell yeh.

I guess the club's view on Benning will have a lot to do with it. Darcy hasn't been durable but under JL we've promoted a durability mentality and even Darcy seems to be buying into that but we still need quality back-up.

If Lloyd Meek goes we need to replace him as you said earlier with a mature age state league. By mature age I mean someone young but been on the system a few years. I was hoping Brynn Teakle would make it through to our mid season pick. Hamish Free is worth a look for sure.

Alternatively we pick up a developing ruck from another club who is perhaps a year or two behind Meek. Kalin Lane at Brisbane comes to mind. Someone who is ready to play but still in development mode like Meek last year and the year before.

Meek will feel he needs to strike now if he wants to further his career because sitting behind Darcy and Jackson is going to mean very limited options. It would need to be a decent offer because otherwise Walls can pull the Josh Carr technique and disappear and not answer any calls re: Lloyd Meek.

Brisbane would actually be a good fit for Meek (I've never rated McInerney that highly) and swapping him for Lane makes sense provided he's (Lane) progressing well.

Wilson gets a contract before either of those two. Only one who's actually been able to come into the side and perform
Sturt ahead of Wilson as expected
Wilson will be the last signature you're right. But Sturt won't be signing anything.
The only way you can get me now is on a technicality 😂 if Sturt turns down the contract then he won't be signing anything (with us atleast)

Sturt ahead of Wilson as expected

The only way you can get me now is on a technicality 😂 if Sturt turns down the contract then he won't be signing anything (with us atleast)
I thought Western, Sturt and Wilson would need to wait a bit longer due to list spots.

With Wilson there may be a salary cap issue too. Wouldn't be surprised if the contract offer, if it comes, is after trade period tbh.

I thought Western, Sturt and Wilson would need to wait a bit longer due to list spots.

With Wilson there may be a salary cap issue too. Wouldn't be surprised if the contract offer, if it comes, is after trade period tbh.
I think western is only a delist and rookie chance

Wilson will be the last contract offered if a list spot is there, he is very handy backup imo but he won't get the $$ he wants

Offering Sturt 1 year was as expected. He has been close to selection a number of times. I really feel the club missed an opportunity to have a look at him against GWS. Banfield would have benefited with the run at Peel and the club would have known Griffin Logue was unlikely.

I wouldn’t rule out Wilson for a list spot but he will be one that runs to the deadline.

Tucker, Acres, Lobb look likely to head to Vic clubs. Meek and Logue unknown. Mundy and Valente retired.

I would be considering moving Western and/or Benning to the rookie list. Not sure but sounds like Banfield may be moved from Rookie list to Primary list. His position replaced with Kuek. Crowden and Blakely delisted opens up two rookie spots.

Well...Wilson deserved it more is all I can say
Yep, but he’s tailed off badly in the past few years only to come good off limited games when his contract is up.

He has value but only as depth unless we are moving some of our running backs around. He deserves a contract but I wouldn’t be surprised if another team offers him a longer one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

True, but the comments on here were that he wasn't going to be offered a contract and he would be delisted.
I only trust one poster on here and that poster never said anything on Sturt so I always assumed it was up in the air.

But leaking that 1 year offer could give us leverage when trade season comes round. “He’s required, 2nd rounder please”

Nathan Wilson has carried foot and pretty severe lower back issues for the last couple of seasons. For a running player, that's going to limit his output.

Fremantle Football Club
It has nothing to do with his talent. You can go back to draft night to find I am a massive fan. Then you can go back to the numerous press conferences this year where JL said he isn't playing because the intensity isn't there. You don't even have to read between the lines to know that he is saying he doesn't work hard enough defensively. If he was, he'd be playing because he's miles ahead of most of our players for natural forward talent.

I didn't want him delisted and I'm glad he's been offered a deal. Let's hope he accepts and works his ass off.

It has nothing to do with his talent. You can go back to draft night to find I am a massive fan. Then you can go back to the numerous press conferences this year where JL said he isn't playing because the intensity isn't there. You don't even have to read between the lines to know that he is saying he doesn't work hard enough defensively. If he was, he'd be playing because he's miles ahead of most of our players for natural forward talent.

I didn't want him delisted and I'm glad he's been offered a deal. Let's hope he accepts and works his ass off.
Do Freddie and Banfield work hard enough defensively? If Sturt had of been the incumbent it wouldn't have been such an issue. I think he lacked four quarter fitness.

Do Freddie and Banfield work hard enough defensively? If Sturt had of been the incumbent it wouldn't have been such an issue. I think he lacked four quarter fitness.
Haven't seen a live game this year (got Covid for the GC game) but I'd be staggered if Banners wasn't trying his guts out Andy style 100% of the time (just lacks Andy's ability). Freddy I have no idea but I'd assume he is doing something.

I'd certainly entertain that Sturt isn't fit enough but that's still a workrate thing in training/preseason so doesn't change much. JLs language, to me at least, seemed to emphasise that if Sturt really wanted a game, the ball was in his court.

I think western is only a delist and rookie chance

Wilson will be the last contract offered if a list spot is there, he is very handy backup imo but he won't get the $$ he wants
I'd rather delist and re-rookie Wilson tbh.

Cbf saying why as I already did in the Sturt thread.

Freddie has a natural advantage in that his blinding speed off the mark allows him to pressure guys without necessarily laying a tackle. He’s so quick that it panics defenders when he’s chasing them down.
Banfield doesn’t have that in his locker, he’s pretty slow so for him and others like him it’s about laying tackles.
Freddie may not lay a tackle all game but still force a defender into a rushed dump kick and cause a turnover that won’t be seen on his stats sheet.
Sturt I’m not sure about. We haven’t seen him on an afl field in nearly 2 years after all

Wilson should 100% be kept. If any of young, Chapman, Ryan, Clark, or Walker go down hes the next man in. He's also been quality when he's played this year, there is an argument to be made that he should actually be starting ahead of Walker and even possibly Chapman in a wet game.

Also am I the only guy on here that would like to hold on to crowden for one more season. Inside bull with good long kicking skills. I don't think there are many players under 24 in the state leagues putting out his combination of posessions, goals and good long kicking. I agree I think he will be delisted but I think he's a certainty to be picked up by a different side and I could see him doing well.

Mundy going and fyfe looks in real trouble body wise for the future now he's done both hammys as well. Erasmus and Johnson will both still be teenagers next season, Johnson has already battled with injury. Maybe it's worth one more season of Crowden as depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back