World Cup 2022 Qatar FIFA World Cup General Discussion - On SBS

Remove this Banner Ad

There has been suggestions on social media to employ neutral refs for games. For example, a non Argentine ref for the morocco/Portugal match.
Ludicrous. What happens if say the "best refs" are all from nations that are competing in the knockout stages? Do you assign refs from other countries, let's say perhaps USA/Italy? Or maybe from African nations such as Mali, Ivory Coast, Algeria? Could you imagine the outrage if that happened? IM SICK OF WOKENESS/PC! I JUST WANT THE BEST REFS NOT THIS TOKENISM

There has been suggestions on social media to employ neutral refs for games. For example, a non Argentine ref for the morocco/Portugal match.
Ludicrous. What happens if say the "best refs" are all from nations that are competing in the knockout stages? Do you assign refs from other countries, let's say perhaps USA/Italy? Or maybe from African nations such as Mali, Ivory Coast, Algeria? Could you imagine the outrage if that happened? IM SICK OF WOKENESS/PC! I JUST WANT THE BEST REFS NOT THIS TOKENISM
That’s not wokeness lol

Of course a ref from a remaining nation should not officiate a knockout game, some would argue from the same confederation!

Football politics!

That’s not wokeness lol

Of course a ref from a remaining nation should not officiate a knockout game, some would argue from the same confederation!

Football politics!

You can be assured that if say only refs from the african continent are used, people especially anti football people will say its woke.

You can be assured that if say only refs from the african continent are used, people especially anti football people will say its woke.

Anti-football people commenting on football are pretty irrelevant.

850 for Rashford.....idk man, that seems way overs.

Lots of English fans seem to have fallen back into the old routine of massively overrating their players. They haven’t had close to the best squad on paper at any tournament Southgate has managed. Apart from Kane who are their genuine world class players? Being generous a fit Walker and maybe Stones? Bellingham and Saka look very promising but unproven.

Winning tournaments is hard and usually requires a good amount of luck. Look at a country like Brazil who haven’t looked like winning a World Cup for 20 years. Maybe it’s time for a fresh start but objectively Southgate’s record at major tournaments is outstanding.

Lots of English fans seem to have fallen back into the old routine of massively overrating their players. They haven’t had close to the best squad on paper at any tournament Southgate has managed. Apart from Kane who are their genuine world class players? Being generous a fit Walker and maybe Stones? Bellingham and Saka look very promising but unproven.

Winning tournaments is hard and usually requires a good amount of luck. Look at a country like Brazil who haven’t looked like winning a World Cup for 20 years. Maybe it’s time for a fresh start but objectively Southgate’s record at major tournaments is outstanding.
Stones is definitely not world class.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Old routine? What do you mean, are you saying they stopped doing that at some point? Their golden generation were all flops apart from Scholes. They don't have a single quality player atm.

But none of England’s opponents in last two major tournaments have had more world class players. England had far better squad than euro group opponents and this WC.

They played Ukraine and Denmark in euros knockout and Germany. Germans aren’t great and have virtually zero strikers. This tournament most managers could have coped with that group and Senegal. They were very good against France. They clearly should be one of the favourites.

But none of England’s opponents in last two major tournaments have had more world class players. England had far better squad than euro group opponents and this WC.

They played Ukraine and Denmark in euros knockout and Germany. Germans aren’t great and have virtually zero strikers. This tournament most managers could have coped with that group and Senegal. They were very good against France. They clearly should be one of the favourites.
They did win all of those games. They’ll regret the euros loss being at home but they lost in the final after penalties, that’s just football.

This World Cup they were expected to top the group, beat Senegal and then lose to France. Everything went as expected, and they even played well in the loss, but now some fans and media are trying to call it a failure.

They did win all of those games. They’ll regret the euros loss being at home but they lost in the final after penalties, that’s just football.

This World Cup they were expected to top the group, beat Senegal and then lose to France. Everything went as expected, and they even played well in the loss, but now some fans and media are trying to call it a failure.
Yeah it seems like with their media that every time England doesn't win a World Cup it's a failure.

There's just a blatant lack of respect for other countries, and I mean (this also applies to other countries) but English players are absolutely susceptible to being overrated because they play for clubs who make them look better than they are.

I mean Harry Kane is good but a top 5 striker in the world? I don't see it.

Argentine ref was a farce but Fifa is always gonna find ways to * up a good tournament being displayed by the coaches and players. They're a trash org
he wasn't a farce at all. that's a straight up lie. he did nothing wrong except be argentinian.

gee you talk some biased rubbish.

Yeah it seems like with their media that every time England doesn't win a World Cup it's a failure.

There's just a blatant lack of respect for other countries, and I mean (this also applies to other countries) but English players are absolutely susceptible to being overrated because they play for clubs who make them look better than they are.

he's better than anyone from the four semi finalists playing as a striker.
and over a long period of time he probably is a top 5 striker in the world.

There is the possibility they are just not that good. They don’t have a Messi. They don’t have an M’bappe. They don’t have a Modric. And they don’t have Morocco’s luck. You could not possibly make a coherent argument that this is some sort of golden era for England.

You could make an argument France has 4 strikers better than Kane - M’bappe and Benzama are not even in dispute, Giroud and Griezman maybe as well.

he's better than anyone from the four semi finalists playing as a striker.
and over a long period of time he probably is a top 5 striker in the world.

Lol

Until Harry Kane can actually win a tournament of significance (either with Spurs or England) he has no business being part of the top 5 strikers conversation, especially if you consider (which I do) the Premier League really isn't as good as its reputation would suggest.

I just don't trust Kane ever to be 'that guy' who can lead his club or country to the promised land

There is the possibility they are just not that good. They don’t have a Messi. They don’t have an M’bappe. They don’t have a Modric. And they don’t have Morocco’s luck. You could not possibly make a coherent argument that this is some sort of golden era for England.
Don’t get me wrong I think they are a good team who if things go right can win a tournament, and they look to have some really talented kids. But every time they get knocked out of a tournament some of their fans and media are stunned they didn’t win the tournament.

Tournaments are really hard to win. Look at Spain 2010. One of the most dominant teams we’ve seen, and they still lost a group game and needed extra time in the final.

Lol

Until Harry Kane can actually win a tournament of significance (either with Spurs or England) he has no business being part of the top 5 strikers conversation, especially if you consider (which I do) the Premier League really isn't as good as its reputation would suggest.

I just don't trust Kane ever to be 'that guy' who can lead his club or country to the promised land
This is rubbish. He’s on track to break the premier league goals record, has a good record in the champions league and a World Cup golden boot. He’s going to shatter the goals record for England. He played very well against France despite the missed penalty.

If he signed for City he’d a be a premier league winner. If he was French he’d be a World Cup winner. Neither would change how good of a player he is.

You could make an argument France has 4 strikers better than Kane - M’bappe and Benzama are not even in dispute, Giroud and Griezman maybe as well.
irrelevant when only one of them is playing as the striker. in the team at the moment which is the only relevant point. I actually like Giroud as a player and think he is unfairly maligned but if you're actually stating that he's better than Kane then you're on another planet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back