World Cup 2022 Qatar FIFA World Cup General Discussion - On SBS

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mid season world cup. What a great idea.

At the moment I guess it’s not different to getting injured in May before a normal WC kickoff. Going to feel for players who suffer more minor injuries just before the break and are going to miss big slab of the WC.

It’s going to be a bit weird a lot of the teams not having Pre-World Cup friendlies. Thats what happens when most club competitions is still being run 5 days before the tournament and not 3 weeks like usual.

At the moment I guess it’s not different to getting injured in May before a normal WC kickoff. Going to feel for players who suffer more minor injuries just before the break and are going to miss big slab of the WC.

The difference is first game of WC is 9 days after the mid season breakup.

Normally there is a 4 week break after the end of the season until the WC kicks off.

Those players who play 7 games in the WC and are back playing immediately in a hectic christmas program will really feel it.

The difference is first game of WC is 9 days after the mid season breakup.

Normally there is a 4 week break after the end of the season until the WC kicks off.

Those players who play 7 games in the WC and are back playing immediately in a hectic christmas program will really feel it.
Yep and being the WC a number of players will risk further injury by ploughing through niggled etc so may impact when they return. Crazy going into Xmas schedule post a WC

Unless your club is in a title, top 4 or relegation dog fight in May though most clubs are on the beach not overly exerting themselves.

Not the case in October.

Yep and being the WC a number of players will risk further injury by ploughing through niggled etc so may impact when they return. Crazy going into Xmas schedule post a WC

It really is shambolic and should never have been allowed to happen. I doubt we see it again in our lifetimes. Iran is the only country in the ME with a suitable climate to host a June / July WC (which is the only time it should ever be played). I would expect world cups in China first then Australia before Iran is ever considered as AFC host.

It really is shambolic and should never have been allowed to happen. I doubt we see it again in our lifetimes. Iran is the only country in the ME with a suitable climate to host a June / July WC (which is the only time it should ever be played). I would expect world cups in China first then Australia before Iran is ever considered as AFC host.
I feel they should rotate it through the time zones.

2014 - Americas (Brazil)
2018 - Europe/Africa (Russia)
2022 - Asia/Oceania (Qatar)
2026 - Americas (USA/Canada/Mexico)

etc.

2034 I think is a realistic shot IF we can play politics well (ie. Anti Chinese sentiment), otherwise, 2046.

Plus, combining it with New Zealand might be a great shot.

I feel they should rotate it through the time zones.

2014 - Americas (Brazil)
2018 - Europe/Africa (Russia)
2022 - Asia/Oceania (Qatar)
2026 - Americas (USA/Canada/Mexico)

etc.

2034 I think is a realistic shot IF we can play politics well (ie. Anti Chinese sentiment), otherwise, 2046.

Plus, combining it with New Zealand might be a great shot.

WC should really be limited to the following hosts:

AFC / Oceania

China
Japan
S Korea
Australia / NZ
Iran (if political / human rights situation improves)

Africa

S. Africa
Egypt
Morocco

Europe

Italy
Spain
France
Germany
Russia (if political situation improves)
Belgium / Netherlands
Ukraine / Poland (assuming normalised political situation in Ukraine
England

CONCACAF

US
Canada
Mexico

CONEMBOL

Brazil
Argentina
Chile / Uruguay

Every 3rd WC in Europe on a rotation.

**** Qatar

My cruise had to change its itinerary as they just came out and said no cruises into Qatar until early next year.

Spending the morning scrambling for flights to flyin-out for the game (Quarter-Final at Lusail)

Found one that works (Arrive 6am, leave 4am) for the 10pm game. But what a pain in the arse.

WC should really be limited to the following hosts:

AFC / Oceania

China
Japan
S Korea
Australia / NZ
Iran (if political / human rights situation improves)

Africa

S. Africa
Egypt
Morocco

Europe

Italy
Spain
France
Germany
Russia (if political situation improves)
Belgium / Netherlands
Ukraine / Poland (assuming normalised political situation in Ukraine
England

CONCACAF

US
Canada
Mexico

CONEMBOL

Brazil
Argentina
Chile / Uruguay

Every 3rd WC in Europe on a rotation.
Good list, but I'd also bracket Portugal with Spain, as it's very easy for fans to travel between those two countries.

I'd say it's almost certain that 2030 or 2034 will be co-hosted by Spain/Portugal, with the one not awarded to them going to South America. The earliest chance for Australia/NZ, imo, is 2038; it will obviously help our cause if we get lots of fans flying here for the women's world cup next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back