VFL 2022 VFL R5 v Essendon (Mon 25-Apr 1.05pm @ Windy Hill) [Stream: AFL app & https://www.afl.com.au/vfl/matches/4198]

Remove this Banner Ad

This was the best game Ive seen Tyler play since a game against the Bullants 2 or 3 years ago. It's the one time I saw any merit in the Fyfe comparison. For me Tyler is a great illustration of the perils of elevating a player into the AFL too soon; he was picked prematurely. When he was first picked as an AFL player he was still a 16 possession VFL player who drifted in and out of the play. IMO ya dont pick players in the AFL until they are consistently good, dominant players in the VFL I dont want to see Tyler back in the AFL till he players 4 or 5 of these games in a row. This needs to be his new standard
I both agree with this and disagree with it. I think with Tyler it was always a slow burn and we have 17 games already into him which helps and last year was never really about competing for a flag so he was gifted games for his long term development. I think the next step is for him to continue the 25 touches games as a inside mid and really knock the door down. Would rather gift games to Harrison or Murley to give them exposure before Tyler if he has not reached the level you mention above. Poulter, Macrae being in a similar boat to Tyler Brown

I both agree with this and disagree with it. I think with Tyler it was always a slow burn and we have 17 games already into him which helps and last year was never really about competing for a flag so he was gifted games for his long term development. I think the next step is for him to continue the 25 touches games as a inside mid and really knock the door down. Would rather gift games to Harrison or Murley to give them exposure before Tyler if he has not reached the level you mention above. Poulter, Macrae being in a similar boat to Tyler Brown

I don't see how standing awkwardly on the wing or half forward barely touching it helps. I think he'd be a better player if he had have had the ball in his hand a lot more making pressure decision in the ressies. Plus he'd come in without the same weight of having to perform immediately. Those 17 games have just added to the pressure he'll be under the next time he's promoted.

Let them build their game and confidence until they're ready for the big league.

For me Tyler is a great illustration of the perils of elevating a player into the AFL too soon; he was picked prematurely. When he was first picked as an AFL player he was still a 16 possession VFL player who drifted in and out of the play. IMO ya dont pick players in the AFL until they are consistently good, dominant players in the VFL I dont want to see Tyler back in the AFL till he players 4 or 5 of these games in a row.

Yes, agreed! Too many people on here think one decent game in the seconds should be enough to get (still unproven) players into the senior side, while they also want players who've shown a bit dropped after one quiet AFL game!

Whilst i largely agree with this for an inside mid and possibly wing / defence.
IMO - Its absolutely not the case for a fwd.

Good players play better with better players around them.
More often than not, good players get to good spots that would be used in the AFL, but VFL "bomb it long" or miss the target and thus they end up with a low possession game, when their leading patterns and off the ball fwd play (blocks etc) are actually AFL worthy.

Henry on the weekend is a good example.
At times he was playing on Reid out of the goal square, who is 200cms and a full head in height above henry.
Henry lead multiple times and didn't get used. And the VFL crew just sat it on his head and wondered why he didn't mark it.
I saw him mark one in the goal square that was a genuine 1v1 and that sort of stuff is worth 5 possessions on its own for a fwd.

I always view the VFL as this (right or wrong, just my take):
  • possessions / Effort count more for mids
  • behaviour / moments count more for fwds / defs.

FWIW - Henry still didn't show the desperation and cleanliness required at AFL....but was just using him as an example of why using stats at VFL doesn't tell the whole story.

Whilst i largely agree with this for an inside mid and possibly wing / defence.
IMO - Its absolutely not the case for a fwd.

Good players play better with better players around them.
More often than not, good players get to good spots that would be used in the AFL, but VFL "bomb it long" or miss the target and thus they end up with a low possession game, when their leading patterns and off the ball fwd play (blocks etc) are actually AFL worthy.

Henry on the weekend is a good example.
At times he was playing on Reid out of the goal square, who is 200cms and a full head in height above henry.
Henry lead multiple times and didn't get used. And the VFL crew just sat it on his head and wondered why he didn't mark it.
I saw him mark one in the goal square that was a genuine 1v1 and that sort of stuff is worth 5 possessions on its own for a fwd.

I always view the VFL as this (right or wrong, just my take):
  • possessions / Effort count more for mids
  • behaviour / moments count more for fwds / defs.

FWIW - Henry still didn't show the desperation and cleanliness required at AFL....but was just using him as an example of why using stats at VFL doesn't tell the whole story.
agree - where has the "one grab" henry gone?

agree - where has the "one grab" henry gone?
I've been wondering that as well.
he was so clean last year and the only player i've seen in the last decade with 'sticky hands' like his was Elliot.

But this year he just seems to lack confidence or concentration (as the ones he has dropped have been sitters!!).

Still think he's an upgrade on WHE (dont get me started on him!!!)

......but without injuries forcing our hands, i'd like to see a game from him where he commits better to the contest.
Which i think, ironically, will go hand in hand with cleanliness (i.e. they both require confidence).

However i think our hand has been forced re: injuries....so we may see him sooner than otherwise we would.

Fair to say we're going to be seriously light on for tall options in the VFL for the coming weeks / months.

May not end well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back