VFL VFL Round 1 v Coburg - Saturday March 25th. 11:05am @ Vic Park. Stream on AFL App/Website

Remove this Banner Ad

Great news.We’ve wasted so many first round picks in recent years,so it looks like we’ve finally found a good one.
West Coast supporters were livid when we got him. Stacks of my mates live in WA. At least 30 friends living there.
They see him as the next Chris Judd.
Edward and his family extremely happy he's at Collingwood.
All members now

Great news.We’ve wasted so many first round picks in recent years,so it looks like we’ve finally found a good one.
I've got to say it's been a long time since we have recruited kids who, in their 1st VFL game, all look excellent.
Steene looks the best ruckman on the ground. 19 yr old with 28 hit outs, 4 clearances and 13 disposals.
Ryan is so cool on the backline with excellent skills and 22 quality disposals.
Allan has had 24, with a goal and 4 clearances.
Macrae with 30, a goal and 9 clearances.
Richards with 21 and a goal.

Not to mention Johnson with 4 goals and a class above this level.

Still 5 mins to go in the game.

West Coast supporters were livid when we got him. Stacks of my mates live in WA. At least 30 friends living there.
They see him as the next Chris Judd.
Edward and his family extremely happy he's at Collingwood.
All members now

i live in WA and all my neighbours are livid....

No doubt we'll have tougher opposition than Coburg to deal with, but it's still very exciting to see so many young players showing so much promise. Of the 12 AFL-listed players who played that game only Harrison and Murley didn't do a lot, while any of the other ten could easily have made the best players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only watched the first half when the game was still up for grabs:
  • Ash was playing at another level, all class!
  • Steene impressive
  • Ryan impressive
  • Wilson impressive
  • Allan solid
  • Jack Long eye catching
  • MacCrae solid
Exciting!

Only stayed till halfway through the 3rd quarter but a really impressive display, even accounting for the opposition. Johnson was dynamic, Steene dominated the ruck and his marking around the ground seemed very good. They were the standouts for me but all the other senior listed players contributed strongly.

Was sitting in the stand just behind Ginni, Draper and Begg. Mentioned to Ginni he must be nervous about the form of Johnson, he might have competition for a senior spot next week. Ginni confidently retorted “Nah, different positions”. Draper said he hoped to be back in 4 weeks, Begg next week but it’ll depend on how his back goes through training this week.

Mentioned to Jo Bailey who was in the crowd that it must be nice to see 1 of her boys finally playing for a decent team, she just laughed. He was impressive by the way.

Last edited:
Steene has a nice bit of mongrel in him
He has! I really like what I see with him. For a last-minute rookie pickup he could turn out to be quite a bargain! Fortunately, we don't have to rush him at all, but knowing we have him developing in the seconds is very good for us.

Sounds like a good confidence boost. Hopefully some of the kids keep putting their hand up and force their way into the seniors.
Why? Seniors seem to be going along nicely as it is.

I am happy if most of the kids spend the season developing their craft in the VFL in the position they hope to fill in the seniors in a year or two. No need to rush any of them at the moment.

Best imho: Aj, McRae, Wilson x 2 (AFL and VFL version)Steene, Glover, Allan (All players played well)
Was a very good team effort, even Kelly had a couple of good moments. As for the recruits, Allen very good, Joe Richards did some good things and Ryan played better in 24 than anyone in the past few years.

Finn, was the best I’ve seen him finally showing what he can really do and why we recruited him, I think his gym work and preseason has helped this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back