VFL 2022 VFL R5 v Essendon (Mon 25-Apr 1.05pm @ Windy Hill) [Stream: AFL app & https://www.afl.com.au/vfl/matches/4198]

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree but can you realisticly see Tyler as our gun inside clearance bull in the future? Give him a month on the wing in the VFL and then see what he's got.

Tyler is doing too well inside to move him. He may not be a gun inside mid but he could be part of the rotation perhaps. To be honest until this weekend in the VFL I didn't see much hope for him but he was seriously good. It felt like those little glimpses of his talent finally clicked. It was alway's a matter of winning more footy and he's starting to do that. I wouldn't move him just as he finds that form.

Lipinski to the wing, Sidebottom to the magoos. I'd do that in a heart beat if there was a viable option. I think with Tyler we need to see the VFL performance consistently. This is the first time in his career from juniors to know he's been a 20+ disposal midfielder. I think let him consolidate and get confidence before promoting him.
With Kreuger injured, we're likely to pick two of Wilson, Henry and McInnes and none of them are really deserving of a game. I don't think Sidey is any chance of being dropped - even if they want to go with Tyler and Lipinski shuffle or a straight swap with Poulter. If they're unhappy with what he's offering on the wing, he'd get a shot up forward before he was banished.

Tyler is doing too well inside to move him. He may not be a gun inside mid but he could be part of the rotation perhaps. To be honest until this weekend in the VFL I didn't see much hope for him but he was seriously good. It felt like those little glimpses of his talent finally clicked. It was alway's a matter of winning more footy and he's starting to do that. I wouldn't move him just as he finds that form.
I understand where you're coming from but we need to look at what he will bring to the AFL. If he want's to, the wing position is still up for grabs, I just can't see him as an inside mid in the AFL. If he was to be part of the rotations, he also needs to rest up forward and he has no forward presence at all. He was very good in the VFL this week but I like to look at the future a bit and he needs a few more strings to his bow

With Kreuger injured, we're likely to pick two of Wilson, Henry and McInnes and none of them are really deserving of a game. I don't think Sidey is any chance of being dropped - even if they want to go with Tyler and Lipinski shuffle or a straight swap with Poulter. If they're unhappy with what he's offering on the wing, he'd get a shot up forward before he was banished.
I'd like us to go a bit smaller up forward for the time being. I would like to play Reef at FF because his leading is really good. I would also like us to go with Henry coming out of the square, maybe rotate Reef and Henry through FF. Our game style would suit a fast leading FF I think

Thought Tyler looked an absolute class
above in the middle.
Was big, strong and clean.
Didn’t see the last qtr, but from what I saw it’s exactly what we want from him.
But again, been here before!! So
Let’s see him break 25 next week before we get excited!!
I also think when Macrae plays well, the whole team looks so much better. I still think in the the next 2 years he will be a very good midfielder. Looks to have the class. Just needs to work on his running and positioning at times.

I'd like us to go a bit smaller up forward for the time being. I would like to play Reef at FF because his leading is really good. I would also like us to go with Henry coming out of the square, maybe rotate Reef and Henry through FF. Our game style would suit a fast leading FF I think

It would suit Jamie Elliott... or JDG if we could afford to play him there.

Reef has played a fair bit at full forward in the last 3 games - did lead well in the Brisbane game, but didn't get near it against Geelong or Essendon. I don't think his game sense is up to it yet. But I'd persist with him in the seniors as we don't have many options. His pace and attack at the footy are much stronger than Wilson or Henry. Those two have the smarts, but are NQR at the moment in terms of how they hit the footy - Henry just looks so doubtful the way he's fumbling every time the ball comes to him in space.

I understand where you're coming from but we need to look at what he will bring to the AFL. If he want's to, the wing position is still up for grabs, I just can't see him as an inside mid in the AFL. If he was to be part of the rotations, he also needs to rest up forward and he has no forward presence at all. He was very good in the VFL this week but I like to look at the future a bit and he needs a few more strings to his bow
My issue with this is Tyler gets no outside (easy) ball.
He only gets that when it’s a break from a stoppage and he runs on. Which he was very good at yesterday.
Can’t see him on a wing as I don’t think he has the running game for that.

Was Poulter a late withdrawal from the team?
Not as far as I know. I'd say it's much more likely he was kept back as an emergency in case of a last minute problem with someone from the 23 selected for the senior game. It is a bit disappointing that he missed out on getting a game at all this week.

I thought he played one of his better games for the year. Seemed to run forward a lot more and kicked a goal. Looks so strong. He needs to learn how to use his strength. I wish he had Madgen’s competitiveness.
He did look a lot better, and I'd say easily the best he's looked all year. I had him pencilled in on a HBF at the start of the year, and despite his slow start to the season there shouldn't be any reason he can't get back into the senior team soon enough.

This was the best game Ive seen Tyler play since a game against the Bullants 2 or 3 years ago. It's the one time I saw any merit in the Fyfe comparison. For me Tyler is a great illustration of the perils of elevating a player into the AFL too soon; he was picked prematurely. When he was first picked as an AFL player he was still a 16 possession VFL player who drifted in and out of the play. IMO ya dont pick players in the AFL until they are consistently good, dominant players in the VFL I dont want to see Tyler back in the AFL till he players 4 or 5 of these games in a row. This needs to be his new standard

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think I said something similar last week about shifting Sidebottom to half forward. The wing isn't working for him 6 rounds in so its try something different or drop him. The thing is he has been so poor with his ball handling, foot skills and decision making i'm not sure it'll help him. I'm loath to write a champ off but the signs aren't great.

This was the best game Ive seen Tyler play since a game against the Bullants 2 or 3 years ago. It's the one time I saw any merit in the Fyfe comparison. For me Tyler is a great illustration of the perils of elevating a player into the AFL too soon; he was picked prematurely. When he was first picked as an AFL player he was still a 16 possession VFL player who drifted in and out of the play. IMO ya dont pick players in the AFL until they are consistently good, dominant players in the VFL I dont want to see Tyler back in the AFL till he players 4 or 5 of these games in a row. This needs to be his new standard
Yes, agreed! Too many people on here think one decent game in the seconds should be enough to get (still unproven) players into the senior side, while they also want players who've shown a bit dropped after one quiet AFL game! Giving those who have earned promotion to the senior side a decent run at that level while making the developing types prove (in the VFL) they deserve a chance should be the selection policy.

bring Mcmahon in and play him forward............. take a punt. Has been gaining confidence, and is our next best alternative

Yup correct.
He’s now had 2 in good performances in a short time and like I said, I’d like to see this continue before he gets another opportunity.
I think it's been 3 in a row over 25 and proper inside mid possessions. He's now become a very good VFL player, who knows if he'll be able to translate into the AFL in the future.

Who are we taking out the midfield and replacing with T Brown? He's an inside mid who is never going to get the opportunity to play that role in the seniors, so what's the point of playing him in the middle in the VFL when and if he plays AFL he's stuck on a wing? They should put him on the wing in the VFL for 4 weeks and see how he goes
He wouldn’t be any worse than T Adams as an inside mid at the moment

Yes, agreed! Too many people on here think one decent game in the seconds should be enough to get (still unproven) players into the senior side, while they also want players who've shown a bit dropped after one quiet AFL game! Giving those who have earned promotion to the senior side a decent run at that level while making the developing types prove (in the VFL) they deserve a chance should be the selection policy.

Especially when you have the luxury of doing so. It’s a long season, others will get their opportunity. Still only used 30 players which is only mid-table.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back