Review 2022's Unlucky Names

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie
Another draft period done and dusted with YET another batch of unlucky names going unclaimed.

Adam D'Aloia.
Jed Hagan.
Hudson O'Keeffe.
Luke Teal.
Jackson Broadbent.
Jasper Scaife.
Chase Bourne.
Harvey Howe.
Charlie Barnett.
Paul Pascu.
Jared Eckersley.
Ethan Phillips.
Baxter Phillip.
Kane Bevan.
Callum Verrell.
Kai Windsor.
Rye Penny.
Jovan Petric.
Matthew Payne.
Shaun Bennier.
Jacob Evitt.
Felix Fogaty.
Jack Cleaver.
Kobe Ryan.
Nick Sadler.
Jonti Schuback.
Sam Gilbey.
Cameron Kizan.
Jerome Lawrence.
Olivier Northam.

Hopefully the SSP and MSD brings better luck for these boys.

Will Elliot is my MSD shout for next season. Plenty of tools and bad luck with injury have crueled him, but he still has the hunger to play and a big over-age campaign could be on the cards. Ditto a million times for Teal, the kid is gifted and desperate for the job. Head down and I reckon they'll be in a program in no time.

Another draft period done and dusted with YET another batch of unlucky names going unclaimed.

Adam D'Aloia.
Jed Hagan.
Hudson O'Keeffe.
Luke Teal.
Jackson Broadbent.
Jasper Scaife.
Chase Bourne.
Harvey Howe.
Charlie Barnett.
Paul Pascu.
Jared Eckersley.
Ethan Phillips.
Baxter Phillip.
Kane Bevan.
Callum Verrell.
Kai Windsor.
Rye Penny.
Jovan Petric.
Matthew Payne.
Shaun Bennier.
Jacob Evitt.
Felix Fogaty.
Jack Cleaver.
Kobe Ryan.
Nick Sadler.
Jonti Schuback.
Sam Gilbey.
Cameron Kizan.
Jerome Lawrence.
Olivier Northam.

Hopefully the SSP and MSD brings better luck for these boys.
Szybkowski?

I’ve never seen a player ranked in the 20s pre draft by Cal Twomey in Mitch Szybkowski not get drafted. He was rank 23 in August and final rank was 30 in October. I know there is questions about Mitch’s pace and kicking.

But Taylor Adams can’t kick to save his life and is slow. And he is a AFL regular. No one was willing to take a chance on Mitch?

I’ve never seen a player ranked in the 20s pre draft by Cal Twomey in Mitch Szybkowski not get drafted. He was rank 23 in August and final rank was 30 in October. I know there is questions about Mitch’s pace and kicking.

But Taylor Adams can’t kick to save his life and is slow. And he is a AFL regular. No one was willing to take a chance on Mitch?

You can't improve pace and he's turtle pace. Adams isn't slow either he's average speed.

You can't improve pace and he's turtle pace. Adams isn't slow either he's average speed.

He tested faster over 5m/10m/20m than Lachie Cowan and Charlie Clarke.

He tested significantly quicker than Jhye Clark as an example.

His speed testing was pretty close to Tsatas'

His testing numbers aren't bad at all.

Agility tests were OK.

6:51 2km isn't a smoking time, but on par with others like Hotton and Tsatas.

This isn't a Jackson Broadbent scenario like you are alluding, where he quite clearly isn't up to AFL football athletically in his testing across the board.

Guys like Lemmey (Endurance), Keeler (straight line speed), Scully (actually not so much, he got drafted on his early form, his testing is Broadbent levels.) all tended to have 1 redeeming feature athletically that got them drafted despite some diabolical testing elsewhere.

Last edited:

Jonty Scharenberg (2016) was the last similar player I remember. Slow with poor skills, it didn't shock me he went unselected at the time but plenty had him top 20-30 at draft time

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any chance Adam D'Aloia gets picked via SSP?
I don't really see it. I think clubs should invite guys to train before SSP and that's going to be either mature agers who you think are close but want just a little bit more of a look at, or high upside talents that might thrive in the AFL system.

You invite D'Aloia down to training and you'll probably just see exactly what you thought he was before the draft. Unfortunately I think he needs to play his way on to a list by showing he's better than a good state league player.

I think there's actually a number of players these days who clubs know could be very useful when they're 22 years old, but there's just no desire to keep them around on the list until that age given the lack of list spots.

They'll draft young talls, the occasional ruck and high upside flankers because they have to otherwise they won't have enough of those types when they need them, but they can't really carry one dimensional mids who need time to physically develop.

Unlucky, Kobe Ryan. Listed very high early in the season, blitz the under under 18's in 7 or 8 games, elevated to reserves, outstanding, elevated to SANFL league, first game 22 disposals, 2 goals against the Adelaide team that was full of crows players. Proved he could hack it against the big boys. Ended the season on a high being named best player every game in the under 18 and reserves finals. Many SA people in the football world shocked that Ryan was not drafted. Apparently a likeable lad, always in leadership groups and well respected as down to earth and very loyal and caring team mate.

Unlucky, Kobe Ryan. Listed very high early in the season, blitz the under under 18's in 7 or 8 games, elevated to reserves, outstanding, elevated to SANFL league, first game 22 disposals, 2 goals against the Adelaide team that was full of crows players. Proved he could hack it against the big boys. Ended the season on a high being named best player every game in the under 18 and reserves finals. Many SA people in the football world shocked that Ryan was not drafted. Apparently a likeable lad, always in leadership groups and well respected as down to earth and very loyal and caring team mate.

How come he missed out? I remember reading his name many times on draft boards.

Jonty Scharenberg (2016) was the last similar player I remember. Slow with poor skills, it didn't shock me he went unselected at the time but plenty had him top 20-30 at draft time
Don't know how, you are stating that Szybkowski has poor skills. From what highlights I've seen of him & info from some football profiler's, they actually state that he is a good kick.

Don't know how, you are stating that Szybkowski has poor skills. From what highlights I've seen of him & info from some football profiler's, they actually state that he is a good kick.
I’ve seen more offensive users than Szybkowski come around but his use certainly didn’t look to be a point of difference. It was Scharenberg’s use that I thought was nowhere near good enough at the time

He tested faster over 5m/10m/20m than Lachie Cowan and Charlie Clarke.

He tested significantly quicker than Jhye Clark as an example.

His speed testing was pretty close to Tsatas'

His testing numbers aren't bad at all.

Agility tests were OK.

6:51 2km isn't a smoking time, but on par with others like Hotton and Tsatas.

This isn't a Jackson Broadbent scenario like you are alluding, where he quite clearly isn't up to AFL football athletically in his testing across the board.

Guys like Lemmey (Endurance), Keeler (straight line speed), Scully (actually not so much, he got drafted on his early form, his testing is Broadbent levels.) all tended to have 1 redeeming feature athletically that got them drafted despite some diabolical testing elsewhere.

Where do you get the testing results? I thought they only published the top finishers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back