Analysis 2023 All Australian Team Awards Night

Remove this Banner Ad

Cripps, JDG, Newcombe, Jackson (maybe), Redman, Luke Ryan, Tom Stewart, Serong and possibly Viney are all very lucky selections.
Serong? Lucky in the 44?
Surprised No Way GIF by Laff

Cornes can dish it out but can't take it.

As soft as a Hinkley outfit in finals.

HUTCHY: "Congratulations. You're stubborn and you got your way. No Tim Taranto in the squad of 44 today. How many people did you have to yell at and scream at and belt the desk?"
CORNES: "Don't be a smart alec about it!"

Cripps made the team, every team has a player in the squad. Squad means nothing. For example this is Butters second time making the squad of 40, do people remember that no, Jonas made the squad 3 times, do people remember?

I still think that there are more than 30 mids that have had better years than Newcombe

He has heaps of potential and probably next year or the next will be AA but this year there have been plenty better

He is 15th on the AFL Coaches votes, my unlearned friend.

Yet you think 30 mids are better than him, or almost 2 from every team...

Per game Newman has 2 more CP's, 2 more UP's, 2 more marks, 1.4 more ground ball gets, 1.7 more tackles, 1.5 more defensive pressure acts, 4x as many clearances, slightly more SIs and score launches and way more coaches votes.

He's been an important part of Carlton's revival.

Newman has 0.8 clearences a game? That's how you judge AA defenders? Wow.

All those other stats that relevant to defenders, like ground ball gets, pressure acts and tackles? Could they be higher because he loses so many one on one contests? :think:

I present Nic Newman the AA guensey as selected by Mr Meow, a defender ranked 57th in the league amongst Medium Defeners, for losing one on one contsts.

Why do you argue against this argument when inclulding Dusty in the forward line but happy to select certain stats to form your argument here? Hypocritical much? I don't think you have any self awareness.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry, do Francis Evan and Dustin Martin play the same position?

Miers is elite in goal assists. What's the argument here, that you want players in your forward line with lots of goal assists? Tackling is also an important stat, should Rowell have been picked in the midfield?

If you're a forward and you're not kicking goals, your claim to being in the best handful of forwards in Australia is pretty tenuous.

I want players contributing to my team winning games of football, it’s as simple as that. Doesn’t matter what ‘nominal’ position they play. So whether they kick the goal themselves, pass the ball to someone else to kick the goal, or win a centre clearance and fire out a handball to someone who then laces out the full forward for a goal. All actions resulted in their team being more chance of winning.

So if Miers has contributed to his ‘team’ scoring more goals than Breust has (just an example), then isn’t that what is most relevant ?

If Miers wins a contested ball at half forward and then instead of taking a pot shot at goal he kicks to an unmarked Hawkins in the goal square, who deserved more credit for that? Hawkins with the goal, or Miers with the goal assist?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

He's way ahead of Quaynor.

Redman and Newman have been involved in 19 one on one contests each for the entire season, that's less than one a game, why would you include that as a stat?

Where do you find the AFLPA votes btw?

nope. IQ was a beast most of the year, and rarely got beaten. You didn't watch many Collingwood games.

All those other stats that relevant to defenders, like ground ball gets, pressure acts and tackles? Could they be higher because he loses so many one on one contests? :think:

I present Nic Newman the AA guensey as selected by Mr Meow, a defender ranked 57th in the league amongst Medium Defeners, for losing one on one contsts.

Why do you argue against this argument when inclulding Dusty in the forward line but happy to select certain stats to form your argument here? Hypocritical much? I don't think you have any self awareness.
You also have the mental acuity of a dried apricot, so forgive me for not taking your word as gospel for the best rebounding defenders this season - or in any season.

As for the last sentence, the hypocrisy is delicious so I'll let you soak in that one.

Dusty, Marshall, Wilkie and all of the Freo players are charity inclusions.

I won’t comment about Dusty as I’m biased, but Marshall was a no-brainer for at least the squad. He’s 50/50 for the final team.

You also have the mental acuity of a dried apricot, so forgive me for not taking your word as gospel for the best rebounding defenders this season - or in any season.

As for the last sentence, the hypocrisy is delicious so I'll let you soak in that one.

Another lost argument. You're good at that, and a pattern is emerging for you.

lol, you're literally talking about him losing a total of 6 one on one contests for the entire year like it's a bad thing. Insane that you would take a stat that barely happens to a medium defender and use it like it's going to win your argument.

I haven't watched a lot of GWS games but from what I have seen Toby usually plays pretty deep.

More than 100 Inside 50s... averaged not far from 20 and 3 and nearly 5 marks and 8 contested possessions a game for the season. If he was getting those numbers and playing deep GWS wouldnt have lost a game.

He'd also have won the Coleman, would get 40 Brownlow votes and have won the AFLCA by 20 or more votes.

lol, you're literally talking about him losing a total of 6 one on one contests for the entire year like it's a bad thing. Insane that you would take a stat that barely happens to a medium defender and use it like it's going to win your argument.

It's insane when picking defenders we look at one on one contests in defence? Okay.

So if Miers has contributed to his ‘team’ scoring more goals than Breust has (just an example), then isn’t that what is most relevant ?

If Miers wins a contested ball at half forward and then instead of taking a pot shot at goal he kicks to an unmarked Hawkins in the goal square, who deserved more credit for that? Hawkins with the goal, or Miers with the goal assist?

You might've chosen a better example.

Breust's scoreboard contribution: 47 goals, 23 behinds, 6 goal assists: 341 points
Miers scoreboard contribution: 7 goals, 13 behinds, 41 goal assists: 301 points

You might be onto something with the Miers/Hawkins example though. Goal assists are way more difficult then just standing there at full forward and kicking goals. Maybe Curnow or Larkey should make way for Gryan Miers?

It's insane when picking defenders we look at one on one contests in defence? Okay.
Yes it's insane that you would determine a spot on the team based on something that happened 19 times in the entire year for 6 losses. If it happens less than once a game do you think it's an important stat?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back