2023 Crowds and TV/Streaming

Remove this Banner Ad

Ratings actually decreased on consolidation. You dont see that too often

I think you have the attendance wrong there if it's referring to last night. Is it fair to say anything over 1 mill viewers is a win in today's sporting climate? Regular season games I mean.

Hate the Richmond/Collingwood dick measuring contest.

A good crowd is a good crowd, regardless of the team.

Both big clubs with large supporter bases. So what if one is bigger, doesn’t make you love your team any less 🤷🏼‍♂️

Regardless of the number, I think the Essendon/Saints crowd will be the crowd of the round.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Agree the first statement.

No idea about tonight’s crowd. The AFL / MCC reserves have sold slightly less tickets than the Hawks / Bombers crowd (68,691). I also think there’s been slightly less reserved seat sales. Offsetting this, more lower level seats have been available to sell due to Saints smaller membership / less reserved seating bays on L1 in Olympic Stand in particular. Given its their birthday, it could be argued they have a stronger % of members show tonight than Hawks in round 1.

Saturday night also isn’t the prime slot either for patrons compared to Friday night, Saturday or Sunday arvo.

Who knows. It feels like 63-65,000 I reckon.

I think you have the attendance wrong there if it's referring to last night. Is it fair to say anything over 1 mill viewers is a win in today's sporting climate? Regular season games I mean.

attendance is not referring to last night. There is no attendance figure in last nights data.

Things like ANZAC Day and some other special matches can reach 1.4m - last weeks Dolphins/Broncos game came in that high too. Anything over 1.1-1.2 is generally going to be a win on Thu/Fri with streaming included.

That should be huge. If both teams are playing anywhere close to what they are at the moment it could be in with a shot at the biggest crowd between teams from different states.

There‘s only been 4 crowds of 70k for non-derby games:

• 76k Rich v Bris 2019
  • 72k Haw v Syd 2014
  • 72k Syd v Coll 2003
  • 72k Haw v Syd 1999

Surely this game joins that list without bad weather / big form drop off.
Given there is a lot of support for the Swans and Lions in Melbourne due to former South Melbourne/Fitzroy fans, I'd be curious to know the biggest crowds not involving these two? Do any other interstate clubs get much support in Melbourne?

Given there is a lot of support for the Swans and Lions in Melbourne due to former South Melbourne/Fitzroy fans, I'd be curious to know the biggest crowds not involving these two? Do any other interstate clubs get much support in Melbourne?
Highest crowds v 6 of the 8 interstates (minus Syd and Bris)
Coll v WCE - 62,957 R13, 2012
Coll v WCE - 60,878 R3, 2019
Coll v Port - 60,744 R2, 2023
Rich v WCE - 57,495 R22, 2019
Ess v WCE - 55,096 R19, 1999
Rich v Adel - 54,934 R16, 2018
Coll v Adel - 54,790 R16, 2013

Freo’s highest MCG crowd is just 45,383. Expect that to be broken when they play the Pies this year.

As far as crowds at Homebush go today’s looks pretty solid. They’ve opened the Cumberland Stand (main level 2 stand) which makes it look a lot better on TV than usual when they keep it closed.

As far as crowds at Homebush go today’s looks pretty solid. They’ve opened the Cumberland Stand (main level 2 stand) which makes it look a lot better on TV than usual when they keep it closed.
Yeah for sure and they are getting a decent game so far

Giants finished 16th last year and their crowds suffered, if they get a few wins on the board could see them start to draw in the 13 to 15 k range again

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know it was 70% full, but god filling the bottom deck of the G makes all the difference both when you are there and on the TV.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
That’s because Saints sell much less reserved seats and therefore much more level 1 bays were available to public to buy. Looked fantastic!

To be expected as it was a St Kilda home match after all.
I was in the MCC, it’s always hard to know splits based on where fans sit. Essendon apart from 10 minutes in last quarter didn’t really get into the game so their fans were muted until late in the game. There seemed plenty of Bombers fans in the ground to me. However obviously when Saints were delivering knockout blows late their fans rightly enjoyed the moment. And they deserved the win.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back