2023 Crowds and TV/Streaming

Remove this Banner Ad

It seems ticket sales are quite slow at the moment for St Kilda v Essendon. To me it looks like they haven’t opened up much of Level 4 for reserved seating. Maybe we were pumping up the crowd potential too much over the weekend? Keen to see how it pans out.

Ticket sales were slow for Ess-Haw too (and it got 68,000). It's one of those weird crowd forecasts where a big crowd is expected but not so big that you can't get a seat. People know this, so they just show up on the day to save $14 bucks. I'm a good example. I'm an AFL member and won't be reserving a seat. I'd expect a big walk-up contingent.

Saints fans think the game is going to draw 70-80k. I know they are playing Essendon but that sounds pretty optimistic.
My take from looking at public and MCC sales.

Broadly compared to the Hawks / Bombers game, there’s much less general home team (Saints) member reserved bays. Hawks game basically all of Level 1, Olympic plus bays 4-15 on level 1 in Warne Stands were general Hawks member bays. These sections were only about 50-60% full that day. This match all level 1 in Olympic has been offered to public and will almost all be gone by match time. This means we can generally expect level 1 in both Warne / Olympic Stands to be more busy tomorrow night. Consequently, Q level in Olympic hasn’t been sold as much. Q level in Warne reserved seats are like for like with significant amount sold. Also, P level in Warne Stand will be more busy tomorrow as this level was sparse for Hawks game.

Ponsford level 1 looks like for like. Level 2 all gone.

It comes down to the amount of GA tickets sold. I’d expect that it should be quite strong, not far short of that round 1 game.

MCC. Reserved seats selling well on level 4. I little picture below shows roughly what’s been sold level 4! Refer bays sold ‘below the red line’ in each bay offered for reserved seats. Given Essendon is away team, expect MCC to be busy.

AFL members not sold quite as much as that Hawks fame, as you’d expect as I think Hawks have more AFL members that Saints.

Summary. Expect strong show rate of Saints members. Expect strong GA rollup supported by Essendon being away team. I will guess 65,000 without any real knowledge of actual sales 😄 26DC2BDF-BC35-463D-B7A2-B92B5293F5E2.jpeg

Unfortunately there is some shocking weather in Melbourne today/tonight. Can expect around 1,500-2,000 people at least to stay home I reckon. I’m still going with 86,000, but not the high 8’s.
Question is, how many Collingwood reserved seat holders & MCC walk ups de use to stay home. I still think 86,000+

(Log in to remove this ad.)

85,241 fans is the third biggest home-and-away crowd between these two famous clubs #AFLPiesTigers

No doubt if the weather was half decent it would've hit 90K. It was raining most of the day and into the game and I said I reckon 3-5K gets shaved off due to the weather, and I was spot on when I saw the crowd figure, nonetheless, 85K+ is a damn good crowd.

Collingwood have had a total of 320,867 to their last 4 home and away games.

This is the second most ever that I can find with a quick look through history. Only one bigger is Collingwood in Rounds 2-5 in 2013 with a total of 331,824.

Both sets had games against Carlton and Richmond, but 2013 had Hawthorn and Anzac Day instead of Geelong and Port Adelaide.

And a very pro collingwood crowd a well!!! Must hurt being a Richmond fan right now lol

No, it wasn't, I was there and yes pies had more being their home game but we had massive support there as well.
And to answer your question no it's not hurting any Richmond fan why would it? Weird comment.

Great crowd il leave it at that.

Please no Richmond and Collingwood fans going at each other. We’ve had too much of it in the past!
Here, here! The only good thing about Collingwood moving back to number 1 in membership and crowds is there’s been a few of the ‘louder’ Richmond supporters go missing on these threads of late. And I think the tone has improved as a result, even if the amount of posting has reduced.

Terrific crowd last night, the Magpie army riding a wave of AFL wide enthusiasm. Collingwood certainly on track to set both home & away crowds and membership records in 2023. And that’s without a premiership. It just reinforces the inflationary impact success on field has on metrics like crowds and membership. It’s good for football I have to begrudgingly admit!

TV ratings last night with Seven winning the 5 capitals easily = who now says the NRL is the biggest on TV? Not having teams in Perth and Adelaide is starting to hurt the NRL!

AFL 482,000 - NRL 306,000 a whopping 176,000 more viewers and even on Fox the AFL was 296,000 to NRL 291,000

85,241 fans is the third biggest home-and-away crowd between these two famous clubs #AFLPiesTigers

Collingwood’s last 4 games:

• biggest H & A crowd against Carlton
  • 2nd biggest H & A crowd against Geelong
  • biggest H & A crowd against Port Adelaide
  • 3rd biggest H & A crowd against Richmond

Fair to say we’re on a bit of a roll. Unfortunately we’ve got 3 games out of the next 4 outside of Melbourne to put a bit of a dampener on it.

Collingwood’s last 4 games:

• biggest H & A crowd against Carlton
  • 2nd biggest H & A crowd against Geelong
  • biggest H & A crowd against Port Adelaide
  • 3rd biggest H & A crowd against Richmond

Fair to say we’re on a bit of a roll. Unfortunately we’ve got 3 games out of the next 4 outside of Melbourne to put a bit of a dampener on it.
Super keen on seeing Collingwood v Sydney FINALLY back at the ‘G. Expect a massive crowd for that match in Round 8.

Super keen on seeing Collingwood v Sydney FINALLY back at the ‘G. Expect a massive crowd for that match in Round 8.

That should be huge. If both teams are playing anywhere close to what they are at the moment it could be in with a shot at the biggest crowd between teams from different states.

There‘s only been 4 crowds of 70k for non-derby games:

• 76k Rich v Bris 2019
  • 72k Haw v Syd 2014
  • 72k Syd v Coll 2003
  • 72k Haw v Syd 1999

Surely this game joins that list without bad weather / big form drop off.

Hate the Richmond/Collingwood dick measuring contest.

A good crowd is a good crowd, regardless of the team.

Both big clubs with large supporter bases. So what if one is bigger, doesn’t make you love your team any less 🤷🏼‍♂️

Regardless of the number, I think the Essendon/Saints crowd will be the crowd of the round.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back