2023 Crowds and TV/Streaming

Remove this Banner Ad

I always expected it to be. Essendon has had 3 of the last 4 games interstate (Port, Brisbane and West Coast) with only a sell out Dream Time at the G home game in between. Winning the last two always helps and should we knock off Carlton and heaven forbid Fremantle (after the bye) our Sat night home game at the G Vs Power might give 60K a crack.

It be a huge feat if Essendon do draw close to 60 k against port. 50,000 is hard enough considering since port have been in the competition since 1997 they have only ever drawn over 50,000 twice at the mcg and that was there first ever home game in 1997 v collingwood 51,874 and in round 2 this year against collingwood 60,739!

It be a huge feat if Essendon do draw close to 60 k against port. 50,000 is hard enough considering since port have been in the competition since 1997 they have only ever drawn over 50,000 twice at the mcg and that was there first ever home game in 1997 v collingwood 51,874 and in round 2 this year against collingwood 60,739!
Virtually uncharted territory for Essendon to play interstate sides (not named Sydney, besides Bris 2019 and 2009) at the G in the 21st century. No real historical form lines to go off. Hard to say what type of crowd they could pull, but over 50k would seem doable.

It’s almost impossible to achieve a maximum draw for a Saturday night fixture. That Pies / Power game was an outlier crowd that had every possible driver supporting it, even the opposition team promoting it. It was a warm, sunny Saturday afternoon. Saturday night in Winter isn’t comparable, unless Essendon win the next two (unlikely) and then it’s promoted as an early top 4 blockbuster. Essendon play Fremantle post bye, a task likely beyond it on current Dockers renaissance form. Still, it coukd draw in the region of 40,000+ if Bombers win this week and are valiant against Dockers.. And fine conditions.

It’s almost impossible to achieve a maximum draw for a Saturday night fixture. That Pies / Power game was an outlier crowd that had every possible driver supporting it, even the opposition team promoting it. It was a warm, sunny Saturday afternoon. Saturday night in Winter isn’t comparable, unless Essendon win the next two (unlikely) and then it’s promoted as an early top 4 blockbuster. Essendon play Fremantle post bye, a task likely beyond it on current Dockers renaissance form. Still, it coukd draw in the region of 40,000+ if Bombers win this week and are valiant against Dockers.. And fine conditions.
If we win our next 2 (and that's a MASSIVE if) we'd be the hottest ticket in town bar the Pies. We'd have Wright back, Tsatas and Parish back in the team with home members having not been able to attend a game since last night. 50K no worries as people prefer the G. 60k who knows. We are starved of success. Lets 🤞 for next two rounds.

If you win the next 2 games I’ll predict a crowd of around 48-52,000!

If you win 1 on the next 2 you’ll draw around 42-45,000

Will still be the biggest ever Queen/King Birthday weekend match? The question is whether 90k gets cracked?
Actually it wouldn’t. The biggest Queens day match is 99,000 in 1958 Melbourne v Collingwood. Still the biggest home and away crowd of all time. Unless the mcg increases its capacity to 110,000 thar record will never be broken

Not often at all. Just played the once since 2012 and that was Round 1, 2020 when there was no crowd!
Yeah I've been waiting forever to go to a game against Hawthorn at the MCG.

All available tickets across public, AFL & MCC areas sold out for King’s Birthday. Just a matter of filling the seats on the day now.
Damn! Was hoping to be able to go under my Lions membership (in the AFL reserve).

At least I can put my hand up to work and get public holiday pay instead.

Yeah I've been waiting forever to go to a game against Hawthorn at the MCG.

Damn! Was hoping to be able to go under my Lions membership (in the AFL reserve).

At least I can put my hand up to work and get public holiday pay instead.

Why? Does a family member or friend support Hawks and they only visit the ‘G not Marvel?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Carlton v Essendon could get anywhere from 60-80 Sunday night, it’s a wide range
Fact. I reckon this is one of two games (vs Pies being the other) their fans rock up thinking they are a chance or would love to beat an arch rival. Their record against us currently is good so I am definitely worried. Hopefully 70,000 k max, don't think it will be 80,000 as their form has been horrible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fact. I reckon this is one of two games (vs Pies being the other) their fans rock up thinking they are a chance or would love to beat an arch rival. Their record against us currently is good so I am definitely worried. Hopefully 70,000 k max, don't think it will be 80,000 as their form has been horrible.

lord knows its one of those games we do like to get a surprise win in

Why? Does a family member or friend support Hawks and they only visit the ‘G not Marvel?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I finally get to tick off doing an away game against every Victorian team in Victoria. We haven't played Hawthorn in Victoria since 2012! (Covid game doesn't count).

I’m very worried too, I’ll be there against my better judgement☺️, Might of got more if it was Essendon’s home game, saying that, the away team is more likely to turn up if motivated like Essendon is atm and Carlton might turn up as it’s there home game against there rival

Fingers cross we get 90,000 to kings bday!! Will all depend on if Melbourne members turn up as they are the home team
Not really, it will depend on whether MCC walk up areas are full - requires 8,000 full/restricted members to walk up who havent reserved seats. Our problem last year for Anzac eve and QB was that MCC members were reserving on level 4 and then sitting in level 1 walkup areas whoch made the reserve look threadbare on level 4.
Our reserved areas are a lot smaller than the other MCG tenants (only around 8K) and they have sold an additional three bays for Melbourne members only for this game which are sold out too. On Anzac eve our reserved seat areas were completely full.

Last edited:
I’m very worried too, I’ll be there against my better judgement☺️, Might of got more if it was Essendon’s home game, saying that, the away team is more likely to turn up if motivated like Essendon is atm and Carlton might turn up as it’s there home game against there rival
It’s a 50/50 game. If Essendon don’t match blues at contested ball, undersized backline will be vulnerable. Certainly see an upset Sunday.

Crowd tipped to be around 70,000 though hard to believe if Blues members don’t show up. Bombers will be there in numbers given decent form leading in should mean they purchased a reasonable amount of tickets… And hopefully ensure a really poor crowd is averted.

Not really, it will depend on whether MCC walk up areas are full - requires 8,000 full/restricted members to walk up who havent reserved seats. Our problem last year for Anzac eve and QB was that MCC were reserving on level 4 and then sitting in level 1 walkup areas whoch made the reserve look threadbare on level 4.
Our reserved areas are a lot smaller than the other MCG tenants (only around 8K) and they have sold an additional three bays for Melbourne members only for this game which are sold out too. On Anzac eve our reserved seat areas were completely full.

But Melbourne have the most MCC members with around 23,000 and Collingwood are 3rd with 16,000. So surely it should draw minimum 85-90,000!

My prediction is 87,000

But Melbourne have the most MCC members with around 23,000 and Collingwood are 3rd with 16,000. So surely it should draw minimum 85-90,000!

My prediction is 87,000
That argument is sound but category 1 mcc games greatly reduce MCC walkups.
QB last year was an MCC sellout but there were 4000 empty seats on level 4. Stopped it being 80k plus.

That argument is sound but category 1 mcc games greatly reduce MCC walkups.
QB last year was an MCC sellout but there were 4000 empty seats on level 4. Stopped it being 80k plus.
The difference is that this year all general admission and AFL member seats are all sold out unlike last year when 76 k turned up!!

With 1st v 3rd minimum will be 85,000

Actually it wouldn’t. The biggest Queens day match is 99,000 in 1958 Melbourne v Collingwood. Still the biggest home and away crowd of all time. Unless the mcg increases its capacity to 110,000 thar record will never be broken
Yep 100% correct and the 121,696 for the 1970 VFL GF will never be topped also.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back