AFL119/3Sun1310GWSAdelaideGiants Stadium8,16924,00034.04%
AFL119/3Sun1520HawthornEssendonMCG68,691100,02468.67%
AFL119/3Sun1640St KildaFremantleMarvel Stadium23,42956,34741.58%
Round 1, 2023 Total392,248612,79064.01%
Round 1, 2023 Average43,58368,08864.01%
Round 1, 2022 Total362,874661,57654.85%
Round 1, 2022 Average40,31973,50854.85%
Difference %8.10%

The St.Kilda-Essendon game in round 3 is fascinating from a crowd perspective because it is at the MCG, where the clubs have only played each other once this century. If the Saints can cause another upset this week (and the Dons beat Gold Coast), there is a chance both teams could be unbeaten, creating an unexpected top-of-the-table clash on a Saturday night. It's apparently some sort of St.Kilda showpiece game celebrating their 150th year, hence the unusual venue.
We also play Port Adelaide at the MCG for the first time since 1998, and only third time overall.

I do like things switching around a bit.

For what it’s worth my two brothers from NSW (both mad bombers) have bought tickets and doing a road trip to watch the Bombers this weekend.

A coach that cares at stupid mistakes when they are 10 goals up and daring to dream being the motivation when I asked.

God help us when they pull it together. Will smash records left, right and centre.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

48 k to Melbourne v WB was a great crowd. I personally predicted 45,000. Melbourne and WB don’t have a huge supporter base and it was the 2nd biggest crowd between the two clubs. Also the western bulldogs don’t draw huge away support.

I think a lot of people are very hard on Melbourne’s drawing power. Melbourne don’t draw as big of crowds then the big 4 and hawthorn and Geelong everyone knows that. But when they are winning the dees draw bigger crowds than the saints, dogs and Roos.

Melbourne are probably In my opinion are the premiership favs and will draw big crowds especially against Richmond and Collingwood where it is Melbourne’s home games and will be hoping to draw over 80,000 to both games.

The downside of having 100K seats to fill.
In a 50K stadium she’s rocking.

The St.Kilda-Essendon game in round 3 is fascinating from a crowd perspective because it is at the MCG, where the clubs have only played each other once this century. If the Saints can cause another upset this week (and the Dons beat Gold Coast), there is a chance both teams could be unbeaten, creating an unexpected top-of-the-table clash on a Saturday night. It's apparently some sort of St.Kilda showpiece game celebrating their 150th year, hence the unusual venue.

A St Kilda home game at the G too.
Wouldn’t even know where to stab in the dark at that one.

The two crowds I’m looking at in regards to the Saints playing a home MCG match are:
R2 2013 - v Rich - 56,783
R3 2016 - v Coll - 50,903

If the Dons start 2-0 (we know to not get ahead of ourselves), then the Richmond figure can be surpassed and edge close to 60,000.

For what it’s worth my two brothers from NSW (both mad bombers) have bought tickets and doing a road trip to watch the Bombers this weekend.

A coach that cares at stupid mistakes when they are 10 goals up and daring to dream being the motivation when I asked.

God help us when they pull it together. Will smash records left, right and centre.

Yes. But at the same time, Essendon beat a skeleton young side (yes beat strongly) with lots of time and space to roam. And it’s still only last week it was doom and gloom and ongoing internal rumblings after a shocking 2022. Frankly their fans aren’t optimistic, round 1 new dawns seem miles off the reality. As Brad Scott has been at pains to say about context.

Despite this, they did play well and I think the Bomber faithful were deservedly excited at the return of ‘Tippa’ and debut of young Davey. 68,691 was an excellent rollup no doubt. They’re a giant in close to a coma.

The fans whilst enjoying a good day, know the year ahead is likely to see a bottom 4-6 finish. That’s the reality of where it’s at in 2023. Fans aren’t ‘lid off’ by any means and to draw big crowds you need a bit of ‘lid off’ excitement.

Essendon’s day will come. It won’t be this week, or this year. But when it does the footy world will be reminded of its breath and scale of popularity.

Last edited:
A St Kilda home game at the G too.
Wouldn’t even know where to stab in the dark at that one.

Doubtful that the necessary ingredients will be obtained: Saints beat Bulldogs (due to injury) and Bombers beat The Suns (beware the Suns rebound / response from its drubbing).

If the ingredients existed, on a fine evening you’d be looking at close to 65,000 for the Saints birthday with Bombers fans filling the AFL / MCC members for an interesting encounter.

The two crowds I’m looking at in regards to the Saints playing a home MCG match are:
R2 2013 - v Rich - 56,783
R3 2016 - v Coll - 50,903

If the Dons start 2-0 (we know to not get ahead of ourselves), then the Richmond figure can be surpassed and edge close to 60,000.
It would surpass 60,000 given the milestone match if Saints were unlikely winners this week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

d4de486dffb16d87aef5837549b7ac8e.jpg

Interesting

Just remember a similar crowd between the two around 98-99 Tim Watson v Kevin Sheedy.
That’s true but both clubs had built in cache and robust positive formlines. Essendon loosing to Gold Coast this weekend brings on ‘Essington’ doom and gloom. Saints losing this weekend less impact as they’ll want to attend their birthday. If both teams win it has a bit of zing about it. However I don’t trust Essendon this weekend as silly as that may sound about this fragile team!

That’s true but both clubs had built in cache and robust positive formlines. Essendon loosing to Gold Coast this weekend brings on ‘Essington’ doom and gloom. Saints losing this weekend less impact as they’ll want to attend their birthday. If both teams win it has a bit of zing about it. However I don’t trust Essendon this weekend as silly as that may sound about this fragile team!
Ditto I don't trust Carlton either although this weekend I'm expecting a loss to the Cats.

So the Giants crowd has been revised upward about 1000.

If LU gets a hold of this innocuous information, it will be enough to send it into total meltdown.
To be fair the contributors as whole on LU would have a very strong case if they were to join a concussion class action.

so which league released their schedule first? NRL or AFL? i assume NRL as AFL was quite late?
so Travis Auld (as usual) has a lot to explain with that Brisbane scheduling
Yep that what you get from someone on $1.2 million PA + bonuses but no doubt someone else in his office would have done the draw!
I hope that Brendan Gale gets the top job and it is not a job for the boys at the AFL whitewash.

ANZAC Day tickets for AFL Members essentially sold out immediately after going on sale this afternoon. There's some standing room only left. Add that to the General Public selling out weeks ago and we should be aiming for 90k+ again.

ANZAC Day tickets for AFL Members essentially sold out immediately after going on sale this afternoon. There's some standing room only left. Add that to the General Public selling out weeks ago and we should be aiming for 90k+ again.
Essendon winning Sunday gives them / us fools Gold positive belief vibes, stoking demand to the max I’m sure. Only to be confronted with reality on ANZAC Day, if not this coming Sunday. We’re very loyal masochists! Serving our penance for successful days likely much further down the road.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back