List Mgmt. 2023 List Management and Trading (Part 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you have a link to the article? I can't find anything on Google or the AFL website. Not doubting you, just trying to find the article you referenced.
From the article below:

"For instance, it would have allowed Adelaide to list one of Rory Sloane or Taylor Walker as a veteran for 2024 and opened up another spot on their primary list. The idea was designed to keep veterans in the game without sacrificing a list spot that a youngster may have taken, with the veteran’s full payments still counted in the salary cap."

There's a link in the post above

That's exactly what I've been saying...
So Vader any time a half decent player UNDER contract (let’s assume Hamill and Crows at 350k base salary) is moved from main list to rookie list allows an arbitrage situation of another team swooping late in the national draft or before the incumbent team re-drafting this player in the rookie draft and only offer say 100k, and forcing the Crows to cover the remaining contracted salary.

I know you have clarified this before for me but it just seems like a massive loophole that is rarely exploited - perhaps deemed unethical?

Curtin could end up through the middle
Petty may play forward once Tex is cooked .
We are building versatility ... which is grouse.
I haven't been this bullish about our prospects for success since, well 2017 really. But this feels somehow on another level to that.

So Vader any time a half decent player UNDER contract (let’s assume Hamill and Crows at 350k base salary) is moved from main list to rookie list allows an arbitrage situation of another team swooping late in the national draft or before the incumbent team re-drafting this player in the rookie draft and only offer say 100k, and forcing the Crows to cover the remaining contracted salary.

I know you have clarified this before for me but it just seems like a massive loophole that is rarely exploited - perhaps deemed unethical?
Yes... which is why you only move players to the rookie list if they are players you are willing to lose, preferably players on relatively minimal contracts. Hamill would probably fit both criteria.

If we're liable for the difference, why wouldn't a club just take him for $5 and make us pay the rest?
The Collective Bargaining Agreement also lays out the minimum wages for any AFL contract. For 2024, it's $130K base salary, plus $5K per senior game.

Anything beyond that... I'm not sure why they'd bother.

As I said before... you only go down this path with players who are on close to minimum salary, and who you are willing to risk losing.

Was curtain not the AA CHB this year?

2023 U18 Boys All-Australian team

DEF: Will Patton (South Australia), Connor O'Sullivan (Allies), Oliver Murphy (Vic Metro), Riley Hardeman (Western Australia), Daniel Curtin (Western Australia), Archie Roberts (Vic Metro)
MID: Jake Rogers (Allies), Ryley Sanders - Captain (Allies), Colby McKercher (Allies), Ethan Read (Allies), Clay Hall (Western Australia), Caiden Cleary (Allies)
FWD: Sid Draper (South Australia), Jed Walter (Allies), Koen Sanchez (Western Australia), Zane Duursma (Vic Country), Harley Reid (Vic Country), Nick Watson (Vic Metro)
INT: Levi Ashcroft (Vic Metro), Will Green (Vic Metro), James Leake (Allies), Finn O'Sullivan (Vic Country), George Stevens (Vic Country)

DEF: Will Patton (South Australia), Connor O'Sullivan (Allies), Oliver Murphy (Vic Metro), Riley Hardeman (Western Australia), Daniel Curtin (Western Australia), Archie Roberts (Vic Metro)
MID: Jake Rogers (Allies), Ryley Sanders - Captain (Allies), Colby McKercher (Allies), Ethan Read (Allies), Clay Hall (Western Australia), Caiden Cleary (Allies)
FWD: Sid Draper (South Australia), Jed Walter (Allies), Koen Sanchez (Western Australia), Zane Duursma (Vic Country), Harley Reid (Vic Country), Nick Watson (Vic Metro)
INT: Levi Ashcroft (Vic Metro), Will Green (Vic Metro), James Leake (Allies), Finn O'Sullivan (Vic Country), George Stevens (Vic Country)
Not sure how anyone with a straight face could say he’s not a key defender.

Not sure how anyone with a straight face could say he’s not a key defender.
More I read and hear of him the more I'm
Outer Space GIF by Big Time Gaming

Am I correct in saying that Patton and Sanchez are the only U18 AA boys eligible this year that weren't taken in the main draft? Both would be worth a punt over Borlase for mine.

Wingard to Collingwood makes more sense considering this

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well we are now set and the list is the list.

Next year my wish list is this

Try and prise Phillipou out of St Kilda and bank points for Welsh and likely Michalanney and take a punt on a young ruck in the rookie draft or back end of the main draft

Adding Phillipou to what we now have wil mean we bat very deep with high end midfield quality - that is a premiership challenging profile, while strengthening our front end with a very highly rated kid we will have a year with to strength and condition etc....

Try and prise Phillipou out of St Kilda and bank points for Welsh and likely Michalanney and take a punt on a young ruck in the rookie draft or back end of the main draft

Adding Phillipou to what we now have wil mean we bat very deep with high end midfield quality - that is a premiership challenging profile, while strengthening our front end with a very highly rated kid we will have a year with to strength and condition etc....
Does anyone have any Intel on whether we could land phillipou next year ? He would be a massive get for us. Maybe Ronald Macdonald might have some Intel.

Does anyone have any Intel on whether we could land phillipou next year ? He would be a massive get for us. Maybe Ronald Macdonald might have some Intel.
Who would have thought Ronald McDonald has far more quality Colonel Sanders....

I agree with the Phillipou call, and I would also add making a major play for Tim English as a Restricted Free Agent. I would also be trying to get McLuggage, Elijah Hollands and Eddie Ford to add to our midfield/forward mix. If we could get English, Phillipou and just one of the other three married with the ongoing development of our current squad we would be pushing for a top 4 position come 2025.

I agree with the Phillipou call, and I would also add making a major play for Tim English as a Restricted Free Agent. I would also be trying to get McLuggage, Elijah Hollands and Eddie Ford to add to our midfield/forward mix. If we could get English, Phillipou and just one of the other three married with the ongoing development of our current squad we would be pushing for a top 4 position come 2025.
That’s some Xmas stocking to fill

Thats burnside village taste on a junction market budget
Well, we had the money to make a play for Clayton Oliver during the trade period, and by the end of next year Sloane and Smith would most likely be retired along with potentially Tex depending on how his body holds up next year. On top of that, Himmelberg will most likely be making his way to GWS, and Sholl and/or McHenry would most likely be delisted or traded. The salary cap has also increased in line with the latest collective bargaining agreement. Just thinking the Crows should have a bit of a war chest to make a couple of plays. The likes of Phillipou, Holland and Ford as things stand should not impact significantly on the salary cap given they are yet to break out and dominate the competition, they all have the upside to achieve that. Tim English would cost a fair whack, but he is also a significant upgrade on ROB and would fast track the Crows premiership run. End of next year English is 27 and coming into his own as one of the most dominant rucks in the competition. McLuggage is the most unlikely, but given he is a RFA it would be remiss of the Crows not to ask the question and put a case forward.

If the Crows want to win premierships anytime soon they need to continue to make major plays like they have done with recruiting Dawson and Rankine, and drafting Curtin this year. If the Crows make the right moves this year I can sense a premiership window starting to open up, and after 25 years I think we all want a premiership sooner rather than later

plusI agree with the Phillipou call, and I would also add making a major play for Tim English as a Restricted Free Agent. I would also be trying to get McLuggage, Elijah Hollands and Eddie Ford to add to our midfield/forward mix. If we could get English, Phillipou and just one of the other three married with the ongoing development of our current squad we would be pushing for a top 4 position come 2025.
I'd like to think we have something better than Philippou coming in the form of Tyler Welsh.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back