Discussion 2023 Pre-Season Matches - March 2-4th

Remove this Banner Ad

Week Two - Mar 2-4 (Official practice matches)

DateMatchLocal Time (EDT)Stadium
Thu Mar 2Hawthorn vs Collingwood5.10pmUTAS Stadium
Thur Mar 2Fremantle vs Port Adelaide4:10pm (7:10pm)Fremantle Oval
Thu Mar 2Brisbane vs Geelong 7:10pm (8:10pm)Brighton Homes Arena
Fri Mar 3St Kilda vs Essendon4:10pmRSEA Park
Fri Mar 3Sydney vs Carlton7:10pmBlacktown International Sports Park
Fri Mar 3West Coast vs Adelaide4:40pm (7:40pm)Mineral Resources Park
Sat Mar 4GWS vs Gold Coast12:10pmBlacktown International Sports Park
Sat Mar 4Western Bulldogs vs North Melbourne1:10pmIKON Park
Sat Mar 4Melbourne vs Richmond4:10pmCasey Fields

Last edited:

McLean TedDougChris pls tell us what to do

Ok - my take. Given he's coming off 2 seasons ruined by knee reconstructions - he's going to be up and down a little.

He was poor first half, but slightly better as the game went on. Part of that might have been the body starting to get used to actual matches, part of it might have been as we got on top of the opposition. He's pretty much guaranteed a spot in the 22 - so he'll play (disclaimer below).

He scored very well in our final last year (21 disposals, 2 marks, 9 tackles) - so if he can move towards that he's a definite cash cow. But - it looks like Scott and Baker are preferred ahead of him on the wings, so if that's the case - he might be in that lost HFF/small amount of mid time position that doesn't score well on a consistent basis.

I've faffed around with my forward line and while I'd like to keep him and get Bruhn in - at the moment I just cant see it working. So I've pushed him out this week. (based upon previous experience, this means you should all get him in immediately).

Note: Important Disclaimer below...

bevos bingo.jpg

Ok - my take. Given he's coming off 2 seasons ruined by knee reconstructions - he's going to be up and down a little.

He was poor first half, but slightly better as the game went on. Part of that might have been the body starting to get used to actual matches, part of it might have been as we got on top of the opposition. He's pretty much guaranteed a spot in the 22 - so he'll play (disclaimer below).

He scored very well in our final last year (21 disposals, 2 marks, 9 tackles) - so if he can move towards that he's a definite cash cow. But - it looks like Scott and Baker are preferred ahead of him on the wings, so if that's the case - he might be in that lost HFF/small amount of mid time position that doesn't score well on a consistent basis.

I've faffed around with my forward line and while I'd like to keep him and get Bruhn in - at the moment I just cant see it working. So I've pushed him out this week. (based upon previous experience, this means you should all get him in immediately).

Note: Important Disclaimer below...

View attachment 1622318
You are a legend mate.
Yeah I was at the Freo Dogs final last year, and I guess that ceiling was exists but is unlikely, and without those scores then he probably isn’t worth it.

Thank you very much.

You are a legend mate.
Yeah I was at the Freo Dogs final last year, and I guess that ceiling was exists but is unlikely, and without those scores then he probably isn’t worth it.

Thank you very much.

If he'd played predominantly on the wing - and been more involved and just didn't get it - I'd perhaps take the risk, but it seems Baker and Scott were far more active and we'll probably rotate Smith and Treloar there as well. I just can't see the points at this stage, but he's an easy get if he goes nuts.

I've gone from McClean to Gulden
Outstanding. Can you tell us the trick you pulled to make $334,000 appear out of thin air to make that trade possible?? Could really use it. Thanks

Democratic Party Applause GIF by The Democrats

Outstanding. Can you tell us the trick you pulled to make $334,000 appear out of thin air to make that trade possible?? Could really use it. Thanks
Well i did some magic of Sheed to Worpel and had some cash in the bank before that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Few comments from Moreiras Magic (Selby, 2 time winner) on the Thursday/Friday matches

Nick Daicos
We didn't see much as he copped a heavy tag in the preseason match. Luckily, the Pies don't play the Hawks until Round 21 in the regular season, so I haven't changed my opinion of Daicos.

Tom Mitchell
His role was great in the preseason match, plenty of CBAs and scored fine in limited game time. Many have cooled on him and I understand why with the low scoring Pies' style and plenty of noise coming out of Collingwood of not having to rely on any one mid. I think he'll still score fine, just not the 110+ I once thought he would go.

Hayden Young
Very quiet in both preseason games, but watching him he did get to the right spots, he was just a bit unlucky. I haven't lost hope as some have. Unfortunately we didn't have Ryan to give us a true read.

Tanner Bruhn
Very impressive in both preseason games with a clear inside mid role. Geelong of all teams do some funny things in the preseason, so I'm not sold on this being real when the season starts. But I can understand why you might be keen.

James Worpel
30 touches in a high usage CBA role in the preseason game was hard to ignore. I kind of wish he flopped to make it easier for us! I understand the interest, but just watching I think the Hawks are better suited for the future giving time to Ward inside, who was pushed to a wing in the game. I still don't think I would do it if I were playing, but he could easily prove to be one of the best picks this season if that role and his spot in the 22 continues well into the season.

Connor Rozee
Couldn't have been more impressive in the preseason in a clear CBA role. I now feel safe locking him in.

Erol Gulden
OMGulden. 177. Led the CBAs in both preseason games. No Mills/Paps might have helped that, and I know Heeney has CBAs in the preseason last year, but this feels different. If he even stays at 50% CBAs, that would be enough to hit that 95 average needed to be a good pick. I'm a believer. The question is - who do you sacrifice out of Dunk, Tarants, Rozee and Cogs (and Moore, Butters....) to make way? We'll speak more about this on the pod, but I think you can get 5 in there and I don't buy into the 'what about when DPPs come and you already have five keepers' argument. This is new age fantasy. We have the trades if needed. However, I don't think you can go wrong with any combination of the 5, all are good starting options.

Jack Steele
I'm sure the low preseason score will scare many off, but the tackles (9) and CBAs (88%) were both there and this is key to him being a top scorer. Windy conditions meant there were not easy marks (0) and they will come when they play at normal grounds when the real stuff starts.

Jordan Ridley
Looked great in the preseason and if you were keen before, then he should have only enhanced that. I find it hard to trust still given the number of mouths the feed back there for the Bombers, but he'll be unique and can push the top 6

Dom Sheed
Didn't look completely convincing in the preseason games, however the CBA role was there and that's all I really wanted to see. It's not as easy of a move following the strong preseason performances of the rookies, Worpel and Setterfield, but I still think he can push high-80s and be a fine selection.
Why share his comments here? The subscription costs peanuts and all proceeds go to charity.

He's more so saying you shouldn't and leave it to the people who actually buy it, which honestly i agree with.
Meh, some of us are tight arses. (Still donate enough to charity though)
I can't justify paying for someone's opinion no matter how good it is. There's a lot of luck.

Plus, bloke supposedly doesn't even have a team now. Can talk up all the good prospects and those close, but not actually have to pick/manage them for 23 rounds. 😜

Why share his comments here? The subscription costs peanuts and all proceeds go to charity.

I think I'd prefer that stay behind the paywall too (selfishly), but just wanted to point out that not all proceeds go to charity (not that he's lacking in generosity though; pretty sure he's still donating a minimum of $26,500 this year so still a great thing to do).

And I think it's a bit more expensive this year too, unless I'm misremembering past costs ($120 for the full season for AF/SC).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back