Discussion 2023 Pre-Season Matches - March 2-4th

Remove this Banner Ad

Week Two - Mar 2-4 (Official practice matches)

DateMatchLocal Time (EDT)Stadium
Thu Mar 2Hawthorn vs Collingwood5.10pmUTAS Stadium
Thur Mar 2Fremantle vs Port Adelaide4:10pm (7:10pm)Fremantle Oval
Thu Mar 2Brisbane vs Geelong 7:10pm (8:10pm)Brighton Homes Arena
Fri Mar 3St Kilda vs Essendon4:10pmRSEA Park
Fri Mar 3Sydney vs Carlton7:10pmBlacktown International Sports Park
Fri Mar 3West Coast vs Adelaide4:40pm (7:40pm)Mineral Resources Park
Sat Mar 4GWS vs Gold Coast12:10pmBlacktown International Sports Park
Sat Mar 4Western Bulldogs vs North Melbourne1:10pmIKON Park
Sat Mar 4Melbourne vs Richmond4:10pmCasey Fields

Last edited:
Few comments from Moreiras Magic (Selby, 2 time winner) on the Thursday/Friday matches

Nick Daicos
We didn't see much as he copped a heavy tag in the preseason match. Luckily, the Pies don't play the Hawks until Round 21 in the regular season, so I haven't changed my opinion of Daicos.

Tom Mitchell
His role was great in the preseason match, plenty of CBAs and scored fine in limited game time. Many have cooled on him and I understand why with the low scoring Pies' style and plenty of noise coming out of Collingwood of not having to rely on any one mid. I think he'll still score fine, just not the 110+ I once thought he would go.

Hayden Young
Very quiet in both preseason games, but watching him he did get to the right spots, he was just a bit unlucky. I haven't lost hope as some have. Unfortunately we didn't have Ryan to give us a true read.

Tanner Bruhn
Very impressive in both preseason games with a clear inside mid role. Geelong of all teams do some funny things in the preseason, so I'm not sold on this being real when the season starts. But I can understand why you might be keen.

James Worpel
30 touches in a high usage CBA role in the preseason game was hard to ignore. I kind of wish he flopped to make it easier for us! I understand the interest, but just watching I think the Hawks are better suited for the future giving time to Ward inside, who was pushed to a wing in the game. I still don't think I would do it if I were playing, but he could easily prove to be one of the best picks this season if that role and his spot in the 22 continues well into the season.

Connor Rozee
Couldn't have been more impressive in the preseason in a clear CBA role. I now feel safe locking him in.

Erol Gulden
OMGulden. 177. Led the CBAs in both preseason games. No Mills/Paps might have helped that, and I know Heeney has CBAs in the preseason last year, but this feels different. If he even stays at 50% CBAs, that would be enough to hit that 95 average needed to be a good pick. I'm a believer. The question is - who do you sacrifice out of Dunk, Tarants, Rozee and Cogs (and Moore, Butters....) to make way? We'll speak more about this on the pod, but I think you can get 5 in there and I don't buy into the 'what about when DPPs come and you already have five keepers' argument. This is new age fantasy. We have the trades if needed. However, I don't think you can go wrong with any combination of the 5, all are good starting options.

Jack Steele
I'm sure the low preseason score will scare many off, but the tackles (9) and CBAs (88%) were both there and this is key to him being a top scorer. Windy conditions meant there were not easy marks (0) and they will come when they play at normal grounds when the real stuff starts.

Jordan Ridley
Looked great in the preseason and if you were keen before, then he should have only enhanced that. I find it hard to trust still given the number of mouths the feed back there for the Bombers, but he'll be unique and can push the top 6

Dom Sheed
Didn't look completely convincing in the preseason games, however the CBA role was there and that's all I really wanted to see. It's not as easy of a move following the strong preseason performances of the rookies, Worpel and Setterfield, but I still think he can push high-80s and be a fine selection.

Few comments from Moreiras Magic (Selby, 2 time winner) on the Thursday/Friday matches

Nick Daicos
We didn't see much as he copped a heavy tag in the preseason match. Luckily, the Pies don't play the Hawks until Round 21 in the regular season, so I haven't changed my opinion of Daicos.

Tom Mitchell
His role was great in the preseason match, plenty of CBAs and scored fine in limited game time. Many have cooled on him and I understand why with the low scoring Pies' style and plenty of noise coming out of Collingwood of not having to rely on any one mid. I think he'll still score fine, just not the 110+ I once thought he would go.

Hayden Young
Very quiet in both preseason games, but watching him he did get to the right spots, he was just a bit unlucky. I haven't lost hope as some have. Unfortunately we didn't have Ryan to give us a true read.

Tanner Bruhn
Very impressive in both preseason games with a clear inside mid role. Geelong of all teams do some funny things in the preseason, so I'm not sold on this being real when the season starts. But I can understand why you might be keen.

James Worpel
30 touches in a high usage CBA role in the preseason game was hard to ignore. I kind of wish he flopped to make it easier for us! I understand the interest, but just watching I think the Hawks are better suited for the future giving time to Ward inside, who was pushed to a wing in the game. I still don't think I would do it if I were playing, but he could easily prove to be one of the best picks this season if that role and his spot in the 22 continues well into the season.

Connor Rozee
Couldn't have been more impressive in the preseason in a clear CBA role. I now feel safe locking him in.

Erol Gulden
OMGulden. 177. Led the CBAs in both preseason games. No Mills/Paps might have helped that, and I know Heeney has CBAs in the preseason last year, but this feels different. If he even stays at 50% CBAs, that would be enough to hit that 95 average needed to be a good pick. I'm a believer. The question is - who do you sacrifice out of Dunk, Tarants, Rozee and Cogs (and Moore, Butters....) to make way? We'll speak more about this on the pod, but I think you can get 5 in there and I don't buy into the 'what about when DPPs come and you already have five keepers' argument. This is new age fantasy. We have the trades if needed. However, I don't think you can go wrong with any combination of the 5, all are good starting options.

Jack Steele
I'm sure the low preseason score will scare many off, but the tackles (9) and CBAs (88%) were both there and this is key to him being a top scorer. Windy conditions meant there were not easy marks (0) and they will come when they play at normal grounds when the real stuff starts.

Jordan Ridley
Looked great in the preseason and if you were keen before, then he should have only enhanced that. I find it hard to trust still given the number of mouths the feed back there for the Bombers, but he'll be unique and can push the top 6

Dom Sheed
Didn't look completely convincing in the preseason games, however the CBA role was there and that's all I really wanted to see. It's not as easy of a move following the strong preseason performances of the rookies, Worpel and Setterfield, but I still think he can push high-80s and be a fine selection.
Do we feel like he is sitting on the fence in a lot of these comments? Really doesn’t seem decisive except in the most obvious of cases (eg rozee).

If anything, just reaffirms that luck is a big component + being flexible to be able to bring in whoever pops in round 1.

May be a dumb question but how do you work out what score a player is currently priced at?

E.g. At his current price of $591k, Sheed is priced at X points, which is __ points under whay he should average.

May be a dumb question but how do you work out what score a player is currently priced at?

E.g. At his current price of $591k, Sheed is priced at X points, which is __ points under whay he should average.
Magic number is 8.8
Parish 888k for 100.3 average
So Sheed priced at 67.2.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oliver’s low CBA’s just PS or part of a grander plan?
All the talk during pre season has been about him playing in a different role (HB) Looks like it'll happen until Goodwin comes to his senses. He obviously wont have a great deal of time there but it's enough of a red flag for me.

Seriously looking at Lachie Hunter, he’s a proven scorer in the past, can’t really read into preseason football but he’s got a point to prove in a good side. There’s upside there but is it enough?

Seriously looking at Lachie Hunter, he’s a proven scorer in the past, can’t really read into preseason football but he’s got a point to prove in a good side. There’s upside there but is it enough?
Not much choice in that 700-800k range apart from Serong, Green and Butters. They got him in for a reason and certainly like the ball in his hands, he's priced at 83 and would be a serviceable pick if he hits that 90-95 average. For me though, I prefer pure mids and not wingers in my midfield, so the 3 players I mentioned have just that little more upside, it might only be 5-10pts but it's enough to sway me that way. At either end of that price spectrum though is De Goey at 700k, priced at 79 who I can see going in that 95-105 range, or Libba at 800k, priced at 90 but has some serious upside with Dunkley gone, I wouldn't be surprised to see him go 110+.

Not much choice in that 700-800k range apart from Serong, Green and Butters. They got him in for a reason and certainly like the ball in his hands, he's priced at 83 and would be a serviceable pick if he hits that 90-95 average. For me though, I prefer pure mids and not wingers in my midfield, so the 3 players I mentioned have just that little more upside, it might only be 5-10pts but it's enough to sway me that way. At either end of that price spectrum though is De Goey at 700k, priced at 79 who I can see going in that 95-105 range, or Libba at 800k, priced at 90 but has some serious upside with Dunkley gone, I wouldn't be surprised to see him go 110+.

Yeah , you can make a case for picking any 4 of the dogs mids. I’m literally thinking about all of them. Just a matter of picking the right one. Perhaps Libba has the most upside as Dunkley more inside .

Part of me thinks when there’s too many guns in the middle , no one player can go 110-115+ more likely when you’re the main man in the midfield e.g Touk, laird, Steele.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah , you can make a case for picking any 4 of the dogs mids. I’m literally thinking about all of them. Just a matter of picking the right one. Perhaps Libba has the most upside as Dunkley more inside .

Part of me thinks when there’s too many guns in the middle , no one player can go 110-115+ more likely when you’re the main man in the midfield e.g Touk, laird, Steele.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Smith went 118 until he got covid from memory. Definitely doable just depends who teams tag if they choose to do so.

Langdon and Hunter are going to take turns every 2nd week scoring well probably
Upside isn't there for wingers anymore

Didn't realise Jack Bytel was actually $305k

Averaged 68 when he wasn't sub in 2021

Windhager out for TBC?

Surely a good option for m6-9

Takes over Windhagers tagging role

Sometimes the answers are right there.
View attachment 1621732
Now, if you can figure out which player this is, you're set.

Just make sure you get the right one...

r2d2-meth-before-and-after_zpse8327c55.jpg

I think the one on the right is the Ginnivan/Smith/Hunter edition....

Didn't realise Jack Bytel was actually $305k

Averaged 68 when he wasn't sub in 2021

Windhager out for TBC?

Surely a good option for m6-9

Takes over Windhagers tagging role

Bytel >>> Liberatore according to one Saints poster on our board last year, so that's huge value...... :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back