Training 2023 Pre Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Come Round 1, no Max or Hayes BUT we should have:
  • Our best, deepest and most varied midfield for many a year. Including with Hill and Wood on the Wings (Dmac injured).
  • A very capable backline, and in particular huge competition for the flank positions
  • Roma the fittest and strongest he has ever been in the rick
  • A number of options for small forwards including with Gresh back
  • While no big marking forwards we have third talls in Membrey (proven) and Sharman (promising), as well as tallish mids who can push forward in Owens and Poo, plus the experienced Wood off the wing.

So we are capable of fielding a pretty decent team.
Wood played like 80% of his career as a key forwardish player at north before coming here as a winger so hopefully he remembers how to do that

My perspective on SOS is that our recruiting seems to have turned a corner in the last couple of years. I would hate to see change for the sake of change that only returns it back to mediocrity.

Guys I personally don’t want to read 20+ pages of list manager debate in the pre season thread.

Agreed
Take ya sos talk and * off to the list thread where u can can argue over his ability or lack of it

Go Away GIF by Bounce

Wood played like 80% of his career as a key forwardish player at north before coming here as a winger so hopefully he remembers how to do that

The downside of that is that he was inconsistent and injury prone as a KP. His best footy is as a high half forward/wing where he can use his athleticism to make space. A bit like Battle, there is a risk moving them out of a position that they have started to flourish in.

I no longer agree that Ratten was a step up on Richo.
I think his training was worse, and his strategy sure as hell was no better.
He might have done the media a bit better, but its funny that Melbourne now use Richo for a lot of their media appearances.

Yeah, I'm not really certain on that either. He got given a lot more access to players and staff than Richo ever got. His finals series and his running close gives him a slight edge IMO. Richo had the core of Lyon's side and had one year where he ran us close to finals. Finished 18th, 14th, 9th, 11th, 16th, 15th.

Look at Port's draft and trading. All clubs have the good and bad. Cripps is no messiah.

I think this is where there is some confusion, he doesn't draft....the same as SOS. What Cripps does well is sell high and buy low. Guys like Polec got traded to Port (after being taken at pick 6) for pick 34 and they got pick 45 back. Then sold Polec and Pittard to North for pick 11 a few years later.

Compared to what we got for Bruce and Dunstan it's chalk and cheese.

I need guidance.

In the absence of King/Hayes and due to the retirement of Ryder, the likely absence of a resting ruck, are we still allowed to refer to Membrey and Sharman as ‘third talls’?

With the absence of the two talls, are Membrey and Sharman now just…talls? Surely they don’t qualify.

I’m considering changing my vocabulary from the ‘third talls’ description to the ‘medium forward’ one such is the extent of our injury list.

Either way, our setup will be short. It’s a huge challenge for the players and coaching group - if we fall into the old trap of blazing away, we will get eaten alive by intercept defenders. But if we play quick and use space, a medium and small forward line could function really well! Obviously we would rather our players be available, but the injuries sort of interest me - it’ll be great to see how it plays out while we wait on the return of the King.

FWIW I personally believe we overrate Sharman a bit on here as a forward based on a few games where he got on the end of a few in 2021. I actually was more excited by what he did down back for a few games last year. Great closing speed, great leap, really played well. But we have depth in the back line and will likely need him forward - desperately want to be wrong about my gut on his permanence in the forward line. He’s certainly a nice kick and has some great attributes. Here’s hoping he can fill a void.

My perspective on SOS is that our recruiting seems to have turned a corner in the last couple of years. I would hate to see change for the sake of change that only returns it back to mediocrity.

Again, he's not our recruiter, that's Toce. SOS will wok out who to contract for what capital and choose the types of players we target in the draft. He might make it a priority to chase a ruck/forward for example but decide that we need ready made and okay trading our FRDP or player out for it. He won't pick the actual player although he would be who Toce sells the kid's skill set to.

A lot of how trades get done is though relationships built over years. Allen and SOS would have very good networks. Gags best asset was his ability to low ball guys like Ross and Billings who had been on easy street for a long time. That stuff is great for our cap but not great for relationships with managers and players.

It's what every track watcher on every board is saying this time of year. Every club is playing finals with the amount of amazing pre seasons currently happening.
I don't think anybody has said we will be playing finals, just that the structure and accountability at training is light years ahead of what the Cho and Ratts demanded.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I need guidance.

In the absence of King/Hayes and due to the retirement of Ryder, the likely absence of a resting ruck, are we still allowed to refer to Membrey and Sharman as ‘third talls’?

With the absence of the two talls, are Membrey and Sharman now just…talls? Surely they don’t qualify.

I’m considering changing my vocabulary from the ‘third talls’ description to the ‘medium forward’ one such is the extent of our injury list.

Either way, our setup will be short. It’s a huge challenge for the players and coaching group - if we fall into the old trap of blazing away, we will get eaten alive by intercept defenders. But if we play quick and use space, a medium and small forward line could function really well! Obviously we would rather our players be available, but the injuries sort of interest me - it’ll be great to see how it plays out while we wait on the return of the King.

FWIW I personally believe we overrate Sharman a bit on here as a forward based on a few games where he got on the end of a few in 2021. I actually was more excited by what he did down back for a few games last year. Great closing speed, great leap, really played well. But we have depth in the back line and will likely need him forward - desperately want to be wrong about my gut on his permanence in the forward line. He’s certainly a nice kick and has some great attributes. Here’s hoping he can fill a void.
From what I have read the new quicker ball movement may well benefit Sharman and allow him more lead up space.
He is definitely not a bomb it on his head fwd. But his lead up work is fairly handy and as he showed in 2021.

Hopefully part of that speed up on ball movement we are moving away from the blazing away with the ball and instead hitting up leading targets in the fwd line. He will enjoy Phillipou hitting him up inside 50.

I need guidance.

Well at present the club looks to have two possibilities to start the season.

Well call it what you like, a third-tall is a role, but our set up may mean having more than one of them and so will no longer be a "third".

• Go with a raft of third-talls/medium forwards so that we have multiple marking options with the brief to our mids to look to pass to the one in the best position. Say Sharman, Wood and Owens...with maybe the Poo also rotating through. Plus remember that Higgins is a handy mark and lead for his size.
  • Bring in a tall who is either unproven and probably not quite ready (ie Van Es, Heath), or older but not quite up to it (Campbell or Cordy). Their role in part being to be to bring the ball to the ground if they do mark it it to create opportunities for our small forwards. Though yes still supported by the medium forwards and the small forwards.

I think this is where there is some confusion, he doesn't draft....the same as SOS. What Cripps does well is sell high and buy low. Guys like Polec got traded to Port (after being taken at pick 6) for pick 34 and they got pick 45 back. Then sold Polec and Pittard to North for pick 11 a few years later.

Compared to what we got for Bruce and Dunstan it's chalk and cheese.
How have we gone with Marshall, Wood and now Stocker?
Done to death but nobody would give us anything for Dunstan, no currency.

We got Jones for Bruce, good swap. Bruce is just about done after the acl.
We got Van Es for Long another good trade.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think it's a bit early to call Van Es for Long - I remember plenty being pretty happy with Hugh Goddard for Rhys Stanley

Yes, people keep bringing up the 2019 trading like each one was in isolation rather then a total strategy. We did overpay for hill but we absolutely came out a lot stronger from it then we were before hand which was the entire goal of the trade period.

it doesn't matter now anyway - but with all due respect that sounds like a made up fact
Winmar2Lockett is a good bloke.

Wouldn’t be calling him out for making anything up.

If you disagree with it so be it. Leave it at that

Winmar2Lockett is a good bloke.

Wouldn’t be calling him out for making anything up.

If you disagree with it so be it. Leave it at that
Im sure Winmar2Lockett is good bloke and I'm not trying to disrespect him - but that trade has haunted me since the day I heard it confirmed on the radio - I remember exactly where I was when I heard it ! And I just can't believe that there were other clubs ready to make that poor decision that we did - I might be wrong but I honestly just can't personally believe it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back