Autopsy 2023 Round 1 DRAW. Ugly Blues still can't close out games

Who played well for the Blues in Round 1 vs the Tigers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Given how the game had played out until that point, I'm not sure having the ball at half back with 99 seconds to kill was necessarily 'the percentages', compared to getting the ball deep into the forward line.
The coaches had shown the "shut the game down" picture. Charging forward when the rest of the team is shutting the game down isn't playing the percentages. There's a reason even after all that time Harry was the only guy inside 50 and no team mate was within 50 metres - bar Lob kicking to him.

yep, 3 little dink kicks and the game is iced.
think back to last in game agains collingwood, we tried to dink the ball around turn over and they ran it down for a Elliot goal... everyone said they shouldve taken the option of going long to leading curnow...

The coaches had shown the "shut the game down" picture. Charging forward when the rest of the team is shutting the game down isn't playing the percentages. There's a reason even after all that time Harry was the only guy inside 50 and no team mate was within 50 metres.
Yep … getting it into our fwd 50 to an outnumber was not the way to go … these scenarios should’ve been trained for you you’d hope …

fair enough. I was also watching on the teev, but the mark would have been uncontested if he hadn’t slipped. Hence my view of separation.
Yeah, that’s how I saw it as well. It’s unfortunate but these things happen.

Whilst he might have fluffed up badly in the last 5 minutes, I thought McGovern looked fantastic in the third defender/interceptor role. Exactly what we've been missing. He could have been cleaner and needs more time there to gel, but I thought it was a vastly better STRUCTURE with him there in addition to Weitering and Young. The fact he can mark, has speed to close down space/get over to help, and launch attacks with aggressive kicks was revolutionary, to be honest. We don't have anyone else who brings that combo.

If we could get one consistent presence between Marchbank and McGovern in this role that would go a long way. It's sad the one thing we can rely on is that he'll be unreliable.

Young solid

Motlop showed more promise

Cowan did some good things

McGovern great in defence

Acres nothing but a liability

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I went. Had a Birds Eye view.

Thought our attack on the ball was magnificent.
Skills very rusty.
Charlie and H always outnumbered.

Backline held up incredibly well.

Onballers slightly off.

Small/medium forwards non- existent. Did not provide options. Did not provide pressure.

Hollands will play 200 games for us. As will Cowan. Both have composure and compete well.

Owies is not up to it.

Ed has a role to play but is a liability when kicking.

Fisher and Martin so disappointing.

The JSOS rucking experiment must be binned.

Pitt BOG in reserves practice match. Played the entire game. He’s ready..

INS
Durdin
Pitt

OUTS
Owies
JSOS

Just a few observations:
  • Didn't deserve a win or a draw tbh, but both sides had their chances.
  • I remain to be convinced that Cripps, Gov, Martin, and to a lesser extent Owies, Hewett & Kennedy are 100% fit.
  • Nowhere near enough pressure in the front half. Ball came out far too easily once on the deck.
  • While TDK has improved, Nank comfortably beat him. Does more work at ground level and applies a lot of tackles.
  • Martin needs to find the spark to rediscover his passion for footy.
  • Acres looks a lot better on the training track than in an actual game. Harsh, but.......
  • Loved the attack on the ball by Cowan and Hollands. Rushed their possessions somewhat, but they'll both be better for the run.
I'll take the draw and move on.

I must apologise to everyone.

After the Swans game I stated on here, we will not play kick mark all game like we tried against the Swans. I was convinced we would be balanced in our approach. I was wrong. We did it most of the game against the Tigers.

I dont think it is sustainable way to play, we dont have the kickers and it invites pressure and more pressure and more pressure and turnover.

I could count around 3 times we handballed to a runner after a mark. As we struggled to get it our of our defense, we refused to run past for a handball, take the 15 metres by running and then kick. Yet we watched Rioli, Short do it against us all night. Last week we watched Blakey and freinds do it to us. We even refused to do it when our ruck, TDK had the ball, yet it seems every other team on the comp uses this strategy to breaklines, move defenses.

I am hoping that it is a one off and we will not try and move the ball like this in the coming weeks.

Problem is we didn't spread well at all the entire night, doubt we would have spread for short kicks at the end of the game. Players would have been weary of the manic pressure Richmond was putting on every possession we had.
Lob and hollands were both open running right past him. 3 easy kicks would've been to lob downfield who was unmanned, then he could have gone back to Hollands who was unmanned. There's 30-45 seconds gone. 1 more pass really and the game is over, which we would've had a loose somewhere. Failing that though going down the line after that even would've been fine after 3 kicks as it probably leaves ~20 seconds left on the clock after that DTL contest.

LoB's kick in the circumstances was elite. He kicked over the heads of the two Richmond front players and into Harry's chest right into an impossibly small gap - awful criticism of that particular kick in this thread- just awful. I wasn't at the ground so could only see what the TV showed - but even if LoB running full tilt had centering options and didn't see them and decided that Harry was going to be the match winner - that kick itself not the Harry slip was 10/10.

Martin needs to find the spark to rediscover his passion for footy.
It has looked like he's going through the motions the last season or 2. Injuries have effected him I know but he showed a lot more intent when playing with the Suns than he's shown with us.

I'm still not convinced he's a forward. Said it loads of times so sorry for boring anyone but he didn't play that much there for the Suns and played much more behind the footy/mid/marking winger with moments/quarters up forward. They utilised him way, way better than we ever have.

Back