Preview 2023 Round 20 – Western Bulldogs vs GWS Giants, Saturday July 29, 1.45pm AEST, Mars Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
Good solid win today, breaking a long run of outs at Manuka Oval. And we got a really decent crowd against a low-drawing opponent on a sunny afternoon. Maybe the powers-that-be will learn something about match scheduling in future.

It seems early, but we say goodbye to Canberra for another nine months. Now we drive a bit further down the road. Remember our first visit to Ballarat?

It was only two years ago, although it seems like an eternity. We were playing the Suns and leading by a comfortable margin at the last change, before they ran over the top of us and won by a point. The distant drum beats of “Leon Out” became a little louder after that.

The fade-out was an example of perhaps our biggest weaknesses under Leon – inconsistency. That looks like it might have changed under Kingsley. Apart from the blowout defeat to Collingwood and victory against Fremantle, we’ve been noticeably more consistent this season. The players seem appropriately motivated every time they run out.

The Bulldogs won in Round 8 when we were still getting used to the new game plan and a bit unsettled, missing Sam Taylor and Toby. Briggs had also yet to appear out of nowhere.To be frank, we were never in it. Looking at the stats you’d think it was pretty even, but they were in front for virtually the entire game and the final score flattered us.

This time we’ll be without Tom Green, who had an outstanding game against them, with 38 touches and three goals. The question is whether we can cover for him as we did with the Crows and Suns.

With no injuries (provided Toby was only subbed out for a rest), this is how I think the team will line up:

FB Jack Buckley, Sam Taylor, Connor Idun
HB Lachie Ash, Harry Himmelberg, Lachie Whitfield
C Josh Kelly, Callan Ward, Finn Callaghan
HF Daniel Lloyd, Jake Riccardi, Toby Bedford
FF Brent Daniels, Jesse Hogan, Toby Greene
FOL Kieren Briggs, Harry Perryman, Stephen Coniglio

IC Callum M. Brown, Nick Haynes, Isaac Cumming, Ryan Angwin

Sub: Fahey

In: Hogan
Out: Cadman

In other words, no change, except for Cadman, who had virtually no impact today. Hopefully Hogan will have recovered from his injury and return. If he doesn’t, Kingsley might have to get creative. He might think about Flynn for his marking ability, but he’s slow, and we don’t want to go back to being slow. We need someone mobile who suits the running game. I still think it's unwise to include Derksen or Gruzewski. It's too late to start experimenting with debutants, especially against the Bulldogs. The stakes of losing are suddenly much higher.

Six consecutive wins have changed everyone's expectations and even the bookies are treating us with more respect. Kingsley well and truly has the ear of the players. They sense he might have the keys to the kingdom.

Saturday will be an absolute cracker in Eureka Town. Go Giants!

Last edited:

Good write-up. I disagree that we can't try Derksen or Gruzewski at this point. However, if Jesse gets up & AK is happy with the 2 KPF set-up and using Haynes on a wing, then he's simply going to do the swap you suggest. Otherwise, he may keep Cadman (3 KPF forward line) and push Haynes back to sub.

Anyway, Dogs have been up and down this season, so who knows how they will perform next week. I'm not sure Ballarat does them any favours as a home ground, though it certainly doesn't do us any!

I really just want to beat them and consolidate a spot in the 8. I'm not necessarily confident that we'll win, but I am confident that AK will have them ready for the contest and give it their best shot.

[EDIT: Corrected first paragraph]

Last edited:
Geez we are really lacking in tall forwards. Cads is long term. Derksen needs to have a shot.
Agree, although it maybe risky debuting someone in such a critical game. Jesse for Cadman would be the safest choice, assuming Jesse is fit. We are in a (equal) club record 6 consecutive wins, and let’s not tinker too much with what’s obviously working

Agree, although it maybe risky debuting someone in such a critical game. Jesse for Cadman would be the safest choice, assuming Jesse is fit. We are in a (equal) club record 6 consecutive wins, and let’s not tinker too much with what’s obviously working
They are evil, Tell him the dogs are the spawn of the devil and let him loose.

I honestly don't know if either are religious but it couldn't hurt.

Winning in Mars against Bulldogs will be hard. I would think of our remaining 5 games, this would probably be the second hardest (after the Port game in Adelaide). The market has us as $2.35 underdogs (the Doggies are at $1.60).

However, we are playing well, have adapted well to Kingsley’s systen and have great momentum. If we could beat Sydney in SCG, Geelong in Geelong, Melbourne in Alice and Adelaide in Adelaide, we certainly have the ability to beat the Dogs if we play to our capabilities. A HUGE game against a fellow contender, and a win will significantly boost our finals charge

I know I should get over this, but I hate the Dogs more than the Sydney Swans. The Dogs cheated their way to a premiership in 2016, aided by corrupt AFL umpires. I thought the best ever team in our history was the 2016 side, and we almost certainly would have been premiers if we had gotten past the Bulldogs in our home preliminary final, as we completely had the Swans measure that year. In 2019, whilst it was exhilarating to watch us win narrowly numerous times en route to making our inaugural Grand Final, it was a sinking feeling knowing at half time that Richmond were just too good for us.

I know I should get over this, but I hate the Dogs more than the Sydney Swans. The Dogs cheated their way to a premiership in 2016, aided by corrupt AFL umpires. I thought the best ever team in our history was the 2016 side, and we almost certainly would have been premiers if we had gotten past the Bulldogs in our home preliminary final, as we completely had the Swans measure that year. In 2019, whilst it was exhilarating to watch us win narrowly numerous times en route to making our inaugural Grand Final, it was a sinking feeling knowing at half time that Richmond were just too good for us.
The AFL did not want an all-Sydney GF or Swans premiership in 2016.

What was done to us by the umpires after 3/4 time in the PF was done to the Swans on GF day. The AFL even admitted the umpiring was "sub-par" afterwards.

I'm not sure Ballarat does them any favours as a home ground, though it certainly doesn't do us any!
They'd rather it was played at Marvel, same as the Demons preferring the MCG. They have more support there.

We can use that to our advantage, like we did a few weeks ago.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will be a bit of heat in this one I think

Green out is a loss as the dogs midfield is elite (on paper at least)

Our backline is far far better than theirs and their ball movement is slower than ours. If we can shut down some of the halfback run (Lloyd I’m looking at you) I think we are a red hot chance

Good solid win today, breaking a long run of outs at Manuka Oval. And we got a really decent crowd against a low-drawing opponent on a sunny afternoon. Maybe the powers-that-be will learn something about match scheduling in future.

It seems early, but we say goodbye to Canberra for another nine months. Now we drive a bit further down the road. Remember our first visit to Ballarat?

It was only two years ago, although it seems like an eternity. We were playing the Suns and leading by a comfortable margin at the last change, before they ran over the top of us and won by a point. The distant drum beats of “Leon Out” became a little louder after that.

The fade-out was an example of perhaps our biggest weaknesses under Leon – inconsistency. That looks like it might have changed under Kingsley. Apart from the blowout defeat to Collingwood and victory against Fremantle, we’ve been noticeably more consistent this season. The players seem appropriately motivated every time they run out.

The Bulldogs won in Round 8 when we were still getting used to the new game plan and a bit unsettled, missing Sam Taylor and Toby. Briggs had also yet to appear out of nowhere.To be frank, we were never in it. Looking at the stats you’d think it was pretty even, but they were in front for virtually the entire game and the final score flattered us.

This time we’ll be without Tom Green, who had an outstanding game against them, with 38 touches and three goals. The question is whether we can cover for him as we did with the Crows and Suns.

With no injuries (provided Toby was only subbed out for a rest), this is how I think the team will line up:

FB Jack Buckley, Sam Taylor, Connor Idun
HB Lachie Ash, Harry Himmelberg, Lachie Whitfield
C Josh Kelly, Callan Ward, Finn Callaghan
HF Daniel Lloyd, Jake Riccardi, Toby Bedford
FF Brent Daniels, Jesse Hogan, Toby Greene
FOL Kieren Briggs, Harry Perryman, Stephen Coniglio

IC Callum M. Brown, Nick Haynes, Isaac Cumming, Ryan Angwin

Sub: Fahey

In: Hogan
Out: Cadman

In other words, no change, except for Cadman, who had virtually no impact today. Hopefully Hogan will have recovered from his injury and return. If he doesn’t, Kingsley might have to get creative. He might think about Flynn for his marking ability, but he’s slow, and we don’t want to go back to being slow. We need someone mobile who suits the running game. I still think it's unwise to include Derksen or Gruzowski. It's too late to start experimenting with debutants, especially against the Bulldogs. The stakes of losing are suddenly much higher.

Six consecutive wins have changed everyone's expectations and even the bookies are treating us with more respect. Kingsley well and truly has the ear of the players. They sense he might have the keys to the kingdom.

Saturday will be an absolute cracker in Eureka Town. Go Giants!
Flynn doesn't have to play that much, really back up Callum Brown up forward, Briggs in the ruck.

Hogan out for 1-2 and green still out are big absences for us

Do we persist with cadman or does big wade get a run?

Hogan out for 1-2 and green still out are big absences for us

Do we persist with cadman or does big wade get a run?
Hogan out again really makes a difference. Unless Riccardi can sacrifice his game to crash packs and stop the ball instantly rebounding, we'll need a different look to kick a winning score.

If not Cadnan, Flynn (in some capacity), or Derksen, who else is there?
IP_August-31-Featured_Image.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back