Preview 2023 Round 20 – Western Bulldogs vs GWS Giants, Saturday July 29, 1.45pm AEST, Mars Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

IP_August-31-Featured_Image.png
Chapulines?

Mutts bag us for not moving on yet they still carry on about this.
1690167507053.png

I always found it weird they would say this when their board decided, without their fans, to throw out their history for money by changing their name to the generic “Western” so they could broaden their reach. That’s before we get to the sponsorship on the banner.

Something something glass houses….🤔

View attachment 1756023

I always found it weird they would say this when their board decided, without their fans, to throw out their history for money by changing their name to the generic “Western” so they could broaden their reach. That’s before we get to the sponsorship on the banner.

And their VFL club is called Footscray?

View attachment 1756023

Some on their board still go on about Ward leaving them to join us. That was more than ten years ago.

Realistically they have far better midfield depth which is concerning. Their top end midfield is a larger pool than ours

I really think the game will be won and lost on how well we stifle their ball movement out of the back half. They look the best when players like Daniels and richards are running freely out of the back half. They might get JJ back this week to add to that. When they move it slowly from there they look terrible

View attachment 1756023

I'd completely forgotten about it until a Dogs supporter brought it up recently. I could name half a dozen incidents I care a lot more about in the rivalry, almost all of which happened on field.

Getting back to who replaces Hogan at full forward, we need someone with a bit of height:

Hogan 196cm

Derksen 194cm
Cadman 195cm
Himmelberg 195cm
Flynn 202cm
Keeffe 204cm (listed as "test")

Derksen has been going OK in the VFL for the past couple of weeks. He untested at this level and debuting him against the Bulldogs would be a risk.

I can't see Cadman being selected again. He had less impact against the Bulldogs in Round 8 than he had against the Suns the other day.

I doubt Kingsley will move Himmelberg forward. We don't want to change a backline that works, especially this week.

I know Flynn is slow but at least he usually does something. He can ruck, has good hands and can kick goals.

Keeffe is coming back from injury and might be a bit underdone, but he is pretty versatile.

It will probably be Flynn. Briggs is untested against Tim English, and Flynn did OK against him back in Round 8. We might need him as a back up if Briggs struggles. It's his slowness that's the problem, especially against the Bulldogs.

It's not an easy decision.

I reckon if Keeffe is able to get up then he comes in for Cadman. Our structure looks really good when he is able to play that relief ruck role.

If not, then Flynn might be the best option.

Either way I think we need someone to be that second ruck. I can only imagine how much we'll get smashed in the contests by English if Brown is our second ruck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The point of difference of English as a ruckman, though, is not that he's a great ruck - it's his follow up work, and ability to get around the ground. I would view that neither Flynn nor Keeffe are much good at that aspect - Briggs is, which is why he's been starring for us. I would offer the opinion that Brown is better able to work the post-jump aspects of rucking better than Flynn/Keeffe IMHO, so I'm not a strong supporter of bringing either of those in. I would be happy for Derksen vice Cadman - (a) give him a go and see what he can do, and (b) he has done a lot of back-up rucking in VFL earlier in the year, so if Brown is struggling we can throw Derksen in to relieve Briggs.

I reckon if Keeffe is able to get up then he comes in for Cadman. Our structure looks really good when he is able to play that relief ruck role.

If not, then Flynn might be the best option.

Either way I think we need someone to be that second ruck. I can only imagine how much we'll get smashed in the contests by English if Brown is our second ruck.
Who does the 'chop outs' at the Mutts when English is having a breather?

I would be happy for Derksen vice Cadman - (a) give him a go and see what he can do, and (b) he has done a lot of back-up rucking in VFL earlier in the year, so if Brown is struggling we can throw Derksen in to relieve Briggs.
From the VFL report - sounds like the kind of player we need...

45. Wade Derksen

5 disposals, 1 goal, 3 marks

One of ‘Derk’s’ more pleasing games from just a compete point of view. We really relied on him as the only key forward and we knew he was going to be outnumbered for a lot of the day. It wasn’t going to be one of those days where he took 10 marks, he just had to make sure he was really strong in the aerial contest and bring the ball to ground and let our small forwards go to work, which he did. We generated most of our goals from ‘Derk’ competing really hard all day.

Was Rory Lobb until he got axed. Last 2 weeks, was Sam Darcy (then injured), and last game it looks like Buku Khamis has a couple of hitouts, though don't know for sure who took all the ruck battles.
Lobb should be back this round

From the VFL report - sounds like the kind of player we need...

45. Wade Derksen

5 disposals, 1 goal, 3 marks

One of ‘Derk’s’ more pleasing games from just a compete point of view. We really relied on him as the only key forward and we knew he was going to be outnumbered for a lot of the day. It wasn’t going to be one of those days where he took 10 marks, he just had to make sure he was really strong in the aerial contest and bring the ball to ground and let our small forwards go to work, which he did. We generated most of our goals from ‘Derk’ competing really hard all day.
Handy

We will win and win well on the weekend and the only change is possible Keefe for Cadman although I think that is unlikely.

A windy Mars is perfect for our game style. Chaos ball into the 50 with the wind and lock it in. Naughton and JUH will struggle.

Crows v dogs earlier in the year. Naughton/JUH/lobb/Fogerty/himmelberg combined for 2 goals. Tex didn’t play.

Hope we leave the forward 50 untouched this week.

I'm not convinced by the pairing of Cadman + Riccardi, from the ground last week Riccardi didn't seem to offer up much whilst the contest was tight; he had a bit of downhill skier in him. Cadman just needs to hit the gym and have a few more years of development into him i think.

Given injuries I'm not sure what to do about it to be fair.

Much more confident in our defensive ability to stop them.

Great that News Ltd is having more Giants article. Based on this, it seems Cadman will be playing? We’ll know soon enough

Hogan’s replacement, No. 1 pick Aaron Cadman, has managed only 12 possessions and one goal in his two games back in the senior side, but Kingsley said he had “exceptional” attributes which warranted his selection.

“If you’re looking purely at disposals and goals, maybe he’s a little short,” he said.

“I think in years to come, we’ll say we saw glimpses of the player he would become – we just didn’t necessarily recognise it at the time.

“His big point of difference is his ability to follow-up and play at ground level – it’s exceptional.”

I'm not convinced by the pairing of Cadman + Riccardi, from the ground last week Riccardi didn't seem to offer up much whilst the contest was tight; he had a bit of downhill skier in him. Cadman just needs to hit the gym and have a few more years of development into him i think.

Given injuries I'm not sure what to do about it to be fair.

Much more confident in our defensive ability to stop them.
Not sure we have any other option sadly. Debuting Derksen now with 5 weeks trying to make finals isn't the right move.
Riccardi, Cadman and maybe Keefe should do it.

Great that News Ltd is having more Giants article. Based on this, it seems Cadman will be playing? We’ll know soon enough

Hogan’s replacement, No. 1 pick Aaron Cadman, has managed only 12 possessions and one goal in his two games back in the senior side, but Kingsley said he had “exceptional” attributes which warranted his selection.

“If you’re looking purely at disposals and goals, maybe he’s a little short,” he said.

“I think in years to come, we’ll say we saw glimpses of the player he would become – we just didn’t necessarily recognise it at the time.

“His big point of difference is his ability to follow-up and play at ground level – it’s exceptional.”

There is a lot he does that isn’t getting a stat or isn’t a negative stat (ineffective kick). Eg Toby’s spin and goal was a Cadman kick on the deck for Toby to run onto. Stats will show ineffective kick but was a Toby goal.

GIANTS big man Lachlan Keeffe returns to the GIANTS’ side to take on the Western Bulldogs at Mars Stadium in Ballarat on Saturday afternoon.

The versatile veteran returns from three weeks out with a hamstring injury for his 104th career game. Keeffe comes into the side for fellow tall, Nick Haynes, who will be the sub for Saturday’s clash.

FB: Jack Buckley, Sam Taylor, Isaac Cumming
HB: Lachie Ash, Harry Himmelberg, Lachie Whitfield
C: Josh Kelly, Callan Ward, Finn Callaghan
HF: Daniel Lloyd, Jake Riccardi, Toby Bedford
FF: Brent Daniels, Aaron Cadman, Toby Greene
RR: Kieren Briggs, Harry Perryman, Stephen Coniglio

Interchange: Callum Brown, Lachlan Keeffe, Connor Idun, Ryan Angwin

In: Lachlan Keeffe
Out: Nick Haynes (sub)

Emergency: Nick Haynes, Josh Fahey, Matt Flynn, Jacob Wehr

Remove this Banner Ad

Back