Autopsy 2023 Round 20 – Western Bulldogs vs GWS Giants, Saturday July 29, 1.45pm AEST, Mars Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Mutts making s**t up in their after match saying we aren’t being classy about Bruce injury.

A more pathetic and disgraceful bunch I’ve never met
I haven't heard any one day anything about Bruce.
Hopefully it's not an ACL

What was the main reason for the turnaround, just greater effort at clearances or did something else stand out?
I don't know if the stats back it up but it seemed like we ran and handballed more than the first half. Given the wind conditions it seems like something a junior footy coach would tell his team but sometimes you just have to go back to basics.

I haven't heard any one day anything about Bruce.
Hopefully it's not an ACL

From his landing and instability when walking off unfortunately it looks like it might be a day for Josh. The landing was very similar to when he did the other knee in 21.

Anyway, well done to the Giants today, exposed our backline deficiencies, Ward was instrumental in shutting down Bont and Greene was his usual brilliant self when it was needed.

GWS has the opportunity to shake things up in September

From his landing and instability when walking off unfortunately it looks like it might be a day for Josh. The landing was very similar to when he did the other knee in 21.

Anyway, well done to the Giants today, exposed our backline deficiencies, Ward was instrumental in shutting down Bont and Greene was his usual brilliant self when it was needed.

GWS has the opportunity to shake things up in September
It didn't look good.
Unfortunately if it is a ACL, at his age. Unlikely to be back.
Fingers crossed.

Sydney got up vs essendon, where good think apart from last qtr.
We should be stronger next week, Green back in. I really think it is time to move himmelberg forward, unless Haynes can play there.
Is keefe really a better option than Flynn?

Last edited:
Ha ha! Beveredge is still stunned at the loss to us.

“We're trying to process it. Everyone is a bit numb. "Credit to them being able to come over the top in the end. It's one that got away.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haynes 200th. Surely not the sub
I agree..but why mess with something that is so obviously working? A club record 7 consecutive wins and team playing well. Haynes will still get game time and get his 200th in the field - unlike poor Vallum Brown who had no game time for his official debut

I thought this provided some decent analysis of the comeback:

It should come as no surprise to learn who was driving the Dogs’ charge: the midfield trio of Marcus Bontempelli, Tom Liberatore and Tim English were blitzing the field to devastating effect, and the Giants had no answer to it. By quarter time, the captain had 13 disposals before Kingsley, with no other option, moved Callan Ward on-ball to lay a hard tag; there was no such option for English, whose extraordinary aerobic capacity was running an in-form opponent in Kieren Briggs ragged. If not for Sam Taylor, whose intercept mark tally was up to seven by the time the comeback began, and for the Dogs’ sloppiness in front of goal, kicking 3.8 from set shots in the first half, the margin would have been even steeper.

So what changed? Simple – the Giants began to attack the Dogs at their weakness. Having lost Alex Keath and Josh Bruce for the day – the latter to a serious-looking knee injury – it didn’t take a rocket scientist to know they would be vulnerable in the air; but more vital given the absence of Jesse Hogan was an improved effort at ground level.

It’s been said to death, but Toby Greene is a truly remarkable footballer: too strong for small defenders and too agile and smart for the talls, he’s just about the toughest match-up for any aspiring backman, and this year only Nic Newman has managed to do a number on him. Having been reasonably well held by Taylor Duryea and even forced to spend time on-ball to try and address the Giants’ contested shellacking, Greene’s five second-half goals were just about his most significant match-winning turn yet in probably his most complete season at the highest level.

Greene’s role is usually presenting as a high half-forward before working back inside 50 with the run of the ball, but Kingsley, sensing the mismatch on first Duryea and then youngster Luke Cleary, shifted him permanently inside 50 after half time, and the rewards were profound.
Seven of Greene’s nine first-half disposals came up the ground; after the break, he’d have seven of ten inside the arc, with five of them the goals that swung the match the Giants’ way. That move also heralded a change in the Giants’ ball movement up the ground: where in the first half they had looked to kick aggressively forward only to be regularly repelled with no Hogan as a marking option, the second half saw them time and again come at the Bulldogs with handballs through the corridor.

It wasn’t always clean – check out this example early in the fightback, where the Giants somehow keep the ball moving via handballs that seldom hit the target, and nearly score anyway but for a miss from Greene.

Toby Bedford and Brent Daniels were the keys: pushing right up to stoppages to create space out the back, their pace utterly blitzed the Dogs whenever the Giants were able to win it at the coalface: a passage where Harry Perryman had the ball inside defensive 50 and chose to kick to space on the wing, with Bedford neck in neck with Daniel and finishing a 50-metre run with five metres of space and the ball inside 50, the perfect example.

more in the story

Here are some stats that I found. It's the Toby show in F50. Toby Greene both kicking goals and putting on pressure, Toby Bedford tackling and pressuring to an excellent level. He has been an outstanding pick-up for us - very astute selection to fix an area of need. Hopefully the goals will come in time, but he's well and truly earning his contract $$. Josh Kelly, Callum Brown and Isaac Cumming also working hard in the forward line too.

Pressure Guage - F50
WB: 168 (Poor)
GW: 209 (Elite)

Pressure Points - F50 - GWS
34 - Greene
33 - Bedford
28 - Kelly
20 - Cumming
16 - Brown
13 - Callaghan
13 - Lloyd
12 - Daniels
11 - Keeffe
9 - Ward
8 - Cadman
7 - Riccardi
7 - Whitfield
5 - Haynes
1 - Himmelberg
1 - Angwin

Tackles Inside 50
WB: 7
GW: 22

Tackles Inside 50 - GWS
5 - Bedford
4 - Kelly
3 - Greene
2 - Brown, Cumming
1 - Callaghan, Keeffe, Lloyd, Riccardi, Whitfield

Last edited:
ACL confirmed for Josh Bruce - shoutout to the poor guy. Not sure what this might mean for his future, but all the best for recovery & future.

ACL confirmed for Josh Bruce - shoutout to the poor guy. Not sure what this might mean for his future, but all the best for recovery & future.

This is unfortunate. sport can be cruel, I think this may be the end for him. Not how you want to see someone go out.

This is unfortunate. sport can be cruel, I think this may be the end for him. Not how you want to see someone go out.
Agreed, it's tough sometimes.

For someone who got a rocket put up his arse as to whether or not he was going to have an AFL career, he's put together a pretty decent one long term though especially considering some of his injuries.

Kane Cornes accuses coach of 'wasting one of the AFL's great lists'
I'd accuse Kane Cornes of wasting valuable electrons, even a broken clock is right twice a day and Kane doesn't even manage that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back