Preview 2023 Round 22 – Port Adelaide vs GWS Giants, Sunday August 13, 4.40pm AEST, Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon we give a few a rest this week and then load up for the 2 weeks against Essendon and Carlton. If we are good enough we get a weeks rest after that.
Bedford and Daniels already out… thoughts?
I think we should go all out to win this week.

GIANTS Challenge Bedford Suspension While Daniels to Miss

The GIANTS will challenge Toby Bedford’s suspension for rough conduct, while fellow small forward Brent Daniels will miss Sunday’s game against the Power after accepting his own suspension.

This will be a tough contest.

If Snooze's ban is upheld we need to bring in two small pressure forwards. Obviously we don't have much depth here but you'd have to think these are the names being thrown forward.
Angwin
Peatling
Stone (played a bit of VFL back from injury now)
Fahey? (I'm gonna throw him in here coz y not)

I personally like the idea of throwing Cumming back into the back line and throwing Perryman forward. While he isn't fast he does make good decisions and has hit the score board well when he was thrown forward by Leon.
I'd probably go Peatling as like for like.

Wonder if they persist with Haynes on the wing this week.

Stocks up: Welcome back, Tom Green! The star Giant's presence was sorely missed during his three-game absence due to a hamstring injury, but it was absolutely felt during the Sydney derby, the 22-year-old finishing with 38 possessions (20 contested!), 10 tackles and seven clearances in the wet.

Stocks down: Lachie Keeffe has certainly had better days than his seven-disposal (zero kicks), three frees against game against the Swans. Be better!

We are kidding ourselves if we think this type of output is value adding to the team. Why would we not try someone else?!

Stocks up: Welcome back, Tom Green! The star Giant's presence was sorely missed during his three-game absence due to a hamstring injury, but it was absolutely felt during the Sydney derby, the 22-year-old finishing with 38 possessions (20 contested!), 10 tackles and seven clearances in the wet.

Stocks down: Lachie Keeffe has certainly had better days than his seven-disposal (zero kicks), three frees against game against the Swans. Be better!

We are kidding ourselves if we think this type of output is value adding to the team. Why would we not try someone else?!
I agree. I remember his kick out on the full against Bulldogs in 2nd qtr, probably worst kick I have seen in a game.
Do we have a match committee?
Who is on it?
I am not suggesting they do a bad job by the way just wondering though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not defending Keeffe's output, but perhaps he did exactly what was asked of him. When Hogan was having a rest, he moved forward, jumped for everything and smashed packs to bring the ball down. Then he floated around defence as a tall option when HH was off. Riccardi certainly can't do that. Can Flynn?
The key difference to my eyes - Keeffe isn't often outmarked in a one on one or pack situation, he's quite happy to just smash the pack and crunch whoever's going for the mark to spill the ball. Flynn doesn't seem to do that when he's been forward. Keeffe, despite his age and injuries, is still a bit more mobile than Flynn in getting to those contests too.

I'm not defending Keeffe's output, but perhaps he did exactly what was asked of him. When Hogan was having a rest, he moved forward, jumped for everything and smashed packs to bring the ball down. Then he floated around defence as a tall option when HH was off. Riccardi certainly can't do that. Can Flynn?
The problem though is he has 74% tog. He does not really present value for those minutes. No marks, two tackles, -26 meters gained on 7 kicks. He was just extremely poor for the amount of time he got.

I'm by no means thee biggest Keeffe fan but I think he does provide some other value. If we're basing it all off of stats, he grabbed as many ground ball gets as Perryman, Briggs, Ward and Greene (and more than 50% of the team). Had as many pressure acts as Perryman and Buckley, which is more than Callum Brown, Taylor or Idun (only to mention a few. More than 40% of the team). Had as many 1 percenters as Bedford and more than Haynes (more than 50% of the team). He also had a better HTA% than Hickey!

He may well be dropped for the next match, but I don't think you can say he doesn't provide any value to the team and/or structure.

Just my 2 cents though

It's all very 'interesting' and hard to read what the coaching staff is thinking. Up until Sunday I guess maybe posters were somewhat sanguine but with the loss and only three tight games remaining, the questions now come. I remember only a few weeks ago AK in a presser praised Cadman and Keeffe for contesting and 'bringing the ball to ground'; this is what he wanted (that's my recollection). I think the question had been on the back and lack of goals Cadman was kicking. Cadman was subsequently dropped with Hogan coming back. Keeffe of course has the additional role to other KP players in that he acts as the ruck cut out.

So if Keeffe goes out due to lack of ouptputs who takes the additional role? Bring in Cadman (who had one good VFL game, albeit when the majority of the team was off) and use Brown/Riccardi as 2nd ruck. I think I prefer to keep these two concentrating on their forward craft; Brown is a work in progress and Riccardi is having, what for over the length of his career, is a purple patch. I suspect even the slightest drop off means he becomes that borderline player again.

Flynn obviously fills the 2nd ruck role better than most and I believe he has been consistently kicking goals in the VFL. Would this carry over in the seniors?

The perennial 'will he / won't he get a game' for Derksen continues. He like most had a bad VFL game last Sunday and does a debutant this late in the season fire up the team or introduce uncertainty?

My gut feel is Derksen then Flynn; but that is because I like the outsiders coming up trumps.

As I said above the questions come, and will be answered each Thursday.

Bedford to Miss Power Clash

Toby Bedford has been found guilty of rough conduct at the AFL Tribunal and will serve a one-match suspension.

It sucks but unless your name rhymes with Mangerfield, Crotchin, or Rusty Spartan, then this tribunal will always uphold the ban.
There's always the Fatrick Dipps example too

Remove this Banner Ad

Back