Preview 2023 Round 22 – Port Adelaide vs GWS Giants, Sunday August 13, 4.40pm AEST, Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t think Rowston has the repeat speed for that.

Just FYSA, Combine results from last year: agility run & 20m sprint. Rowston surprisingly good (top 10) in agility, but whether he's got the repeat speed is a decent question. McMullin is actually high in both seed and agility results.

Agility Run Result (seconds)​

Darcy Jones' agility run was the all-time best ever at the combine.

RankTime (seconds)Name
17.702Darcy Jones
28.182Jaxon Binns
38.217Elijah Hewett
48.247Steely Green
58.255Edward Allan
68.267Luke Teal
78.285Toby McMullin
88.292Jacob Konstanty
98.325Harry Rowston
108.343Noah Long

20m Sprint Result (seconds)​

RankResult (seconds)Name
12.814Edward Allan
22.880Toby McMullin
32.883Coby Burgiel
42.910James Van Es
52.912Darcy Jones
62.924Olli Hotton
72.928Reuben Ginbey
82.928Cooper Vickery
92.937Josh Weddle
102.951Lloyd Johnston

No announcement of any debuts, so low probability now that McMullin or Derksen are named.

With the Sunday game squad of 26 announced tonight and from memory they may have announced a sunday game debut on the friday, it could depend on Callaghan which I think is doubtful he plays with the fitness and conditioning staff the club has

The social media team will be disappointed as if Toby M debuts it will only be 2 out of 3 Tobys on the park

Squad has been announced - Six GIANTS Added to Squad

Local South Australian Jacob Wehr, forward Conor Stone, ruck Matt Flynn, half-back Josh Fahey, untried forward Toby McMullin, and last week’s sub, Ryan Angwin, have all been named in the extended squad.

Squad

FB: Jack Buckley, Sam Taylor, Isaac Cumming
HB: Lachie Ash, Harry Himmelberg, Lachie Whitfield
C: Josh Kelly, Tom Green, Nick Haynes
HF: Callum Brown, Lachlan Keeffe, Jake Riccardi
FF: Daniel Lloyd, Jesse Hogan, Toby Greene
RR: Kieren Briggs, Callan Ward, Stephen Coniglio

Interchange (from): Ryan Angwin, Jacob Wehr, Connor Idun, Harry Perryman, Toby McMullin, Conor Stone, Matt Flynn, Josh Fahey

In: Ryan Angwin (sub), Jacob Wehr, Toby McMullin, Conor Stone, Matt Flynn, Josh Fahey

Out: Brent Daniels, Toby Bedford (suspension)

Keeffe still there.

McMullin still a chance for a debut ... perhaps with it being a Sunday game and final team revealed Friday, well get the debutant announcements tomorrow? Personally, I think he'd fir the role required.

Idun & Pez certainties from the bench; probably leaves Angwin, Fahey, Stone, Wehr & McMullin fighting for 2 spots and then the sub spot.

Squad has been announced - Six GIANTS Added to Squad

Squad

FB: Jack Buckley, Sam Taylor, Isaac Cumming
HB: Lachie Ash, Harry Himmelberg, Lachie Whitfield
C: Josh Kelly, Tom Green, Nick Haynes
HF: Callum Brown, Lachlan Keeffe, Jake Riccardi
FF: Daniel Lloyd, Jesse Hogan, Toby Greene
RR: Kieren Briggs, Callan Ward, Stephen Coniglio

Interchange (from): Ryan Angwin, Jacob Wehr, Connor Idun, Harry Perryman, Toby McMullin, Conor Stone, Matt Flynn, Josh Fahey

In: Ryan Angwin (sub), Jacob Wehr, Toby McMullin, Conor Stone, Matt Flynn, Josh Fahey

Out: Brent Daniels, Toby Bedford (suspension)
No Callaghan in addition to the loss of Daniels and Bedford is not good. Am surprised that whilst Toby McMullin has been added to the squad, Wade Derksen hasn’t. Also no Cadman.

Tom Green one of the 5 AFL players to watch this round. Hope he has a great match

Tom Green

Tom Green returned to the Giants' side last weekend after three weeks out with hamstring injury and showed no signs that he had been injured. Green was an apparent best on ground for GWS and arguably one of the best for the game despite the loss, finishing with 38 disposals, 10 tackles and seven clearances to put on one of his top performances for the season.

Despite missing a few games, Green would be well up there when it comes time to count votes for the Kevin Sheedy Medal, demonstrating how important he is to this GWS team particularly if they are to make finals.

After their win streak was snapped last week against the Sydney Swans, GWS will hope to return to the winners list this weekend when they face tough challenge - playing Port Adelaide at Adelaide Oval. GWS won't be afraid though, having previously beaten Adelaide there earlier in the season. The two teams have a pretty even win-loss record, with the ledger sitting at 7-6 a piece in the Power's favour.

Green does not typically perform well against Port Adelaide, with an average score of 44 AFL Fantasy Points when he plays the Power. However, with finals on the line this weekend Green will be hoping to continue the strong form he has found in the 2023 season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree, but just makes me wonder ... how Keeffe's gazelle-like speed and reflexes gain him advantage with AK. ;)
Just because an elephant and plate tectonics are both slow, it doesn't mean that Dumbo won't beat a subduction zone in a race. ;)

He musn't like something about Flynn. Probably his lack of speed doesn't suit the game plan.
I don't think it's about him not liking Flynn I think it's about whether he's in there as a forward or a ruck...ATM Flynn is a ruck and maybe that's why he's playing more as a pure forward in the VFL to practice that pure fwd role. Keefe would still be leading that race between the two of them...and he's the size of a ruck.

I don't think it's about him not liking Flynn I think it's about whether he's in there as a forward or a ruck...ATM Flynn is a ruck and maybe that's why he's playing more as a pure forward in the VFL to practice that pure fwd role. Keefe would still be leading that race between the two of them...and he's the size of a ruck.
Also Flynn hasn't re-signed, maybe they know he will leave at seasons end.

Interesting that Kingsley is persisting with Keeffe instead of Flynn.

Keeffe will probably make way for Preuss when he's fit.

He can play back as well if needed. His role fwd is to create a contest and keep out of the goal kicking fwds space, I don't see Preuss being able to do it for the sake 5 mins in the ruck every now and then.

Green does not typically perform well against Port Adelaide...
That is an understatement.

Port are his arch nemesis by the proverbial country mile. Disposals, handballs, kicks, tackles, inside 50s, clearances, contested possessions, uncontested possessions, his worst performances in all these categories have been against the Power. It's more than a coincidence we've lost our last three games against Port. Green played in all of them.

For all the concerns about missing Callaghan, Daniels and Bedford, we'll lose on Sunday if Green under-performs again and we get done in the midfield.

Just FYSA, Combine results from last year: agility run & 20m sprint. Rowston surprisingly good (top 10) in agility, but whether he's got the repeat speed is a decent question. McMullin is actually high in both seed and agility results.

Agility Run Result (seconds)​

Darcy Jones' agility run was the all-time best ever at the combine.

RankTime (seconds)Name
17.702Darcy Jones
28.182Jaxon Binns
38.217Elijah Hewett
48.247Steely Green
58.255Edward Allan
68.267Luke Teal
78.285Toby McMullin
88.292Jacob Konstanty
98.325Harry Rowston
108.343Noah Long

20m Sprint Result (seconds)​