Autopsy Round 18 2023 – Adelaide Crows vs GWS Giants, Saturday July 15, 7.40pm AEST, Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll be accused of dwelling on the past for this, but can't help but think that Jeremy Cameron would have looked really good in this now more balanced side. With respect to Hogan, a really potent tall forward is what this side is missing.
JC has a premiership medallion and good luck to him.

I only hope the likes of Kelly, Ward, Coniglio and Toby, amongst many others, will also have one.

I think Kingsley has what it takes to help make that happen.

JC has a premiership medallion and good luck to him.

I only hope the likes of Kelly, Ward, Coniglio and Toby, amongst many others, will also have one.

I think Kingsley has what it takes to help make that happen.
It’s one thing to head off to a club to be the cream that allows them to win. To stick fat and earn one after going through the hard times is very different. The level of satisfaction that the guys who were here early, and stayed, will feel if we win would be unmatched imo.

Winning on the road this year has impressed me!!!

Home - 3W, 5L
Away - 5W, 3L

History shows were a very poor travelling team and been fairly strong at home.
Kingers has bought in a level of toughness to the group and self belief that no matter what’s against us away, we can overcome it.
You can see belief in the players through the club interviews, they really trust Kingers system. It’s fantastic to hear .

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

You can see belief in the players through the club interviews, they really trust Kingers system. It’s fantastic to hear .

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I agree, the way they speak about each other is such a pleasure to hear.

The great culture built/being built within that club, you can really feel it coming through and as a viewer/listener it just draws you in. Fantastic stuff.

Some snippets from The Mongrel Punt: Ten Things I Learnt After Round 18 - The Mongrel Punt

7. Nobody saw GWS coming this year

It was back in Round 12 when the Giants lost by a goal to Richmond at home when they were sitting at 4-8 and looking very much like a side out of contention that was making up the numbers. They’d played some decent footy at times, but just looked as though they weren’t quite there yet. The story has changed dramatically since then.

The most impressive aspect of the Giants current run of five straight wins is their defence, led by Sam Taylor. They’ve only conceded an average of 57 points during this period, and after Tex Walker’s bright start with two goals in the first half, not only was he unable to get his hands on the ball after halftime, but by the end of the game his direct opponent finished with 21 touches and six marks. We are talking about a player who has filled the role vacated by an injured Phil Davis with aplomb and would be in serious consideration for an All-Australian honour again had he not been injured earlier this season.

The Giants also have one of the most influential captains going around in Toby Greene. He kicked three goals and sets up plenty more, and it has to be said that eyebrows were raised when he was given the leadership role, but those in the club obviously knew better. The Giants play the Suns at home next week and I expect them to win and find themselves inside the eight after Round 19.

Some snippets from The Mongrel Punt: Ten Things I Learnt After Round 18 - The Mongrel Punt

7. Nobody saw GWS coming this year

It was back in Round 12 when the Giants lost by a goal to Richmond at home when they were sitting at 4-8 and looking very much like a side out of contention that was making up the numbers. They’d played some decent footy at times, but just looked as though they weren’t quite there yet. The story has changed dramatically since then.

The most impressive aspect of the Giants current run of five straight wins is their defence, led by Sam Taylor. They’ve only conceded an average of 57 points during this period, and after Tex Walker’s bright start with two goals in the first half, not only was he unable to get his hands on the ball after halftime, but by the end of the game his direct opponent finished with 21 touches and six marks. We are talking about a player who has filled the role vacated by an injured Phil Davis with aplomb and would be in serious consideration for an All-Australian honour again had he not been injured earlier this season.

The Giants also have one of the most influential captains going around in Toby Greene. He kicked three goals and sets up plenty more, and it has to be said that eyebrows were raised when he was given the leadership role, but those in the club obviously knew better. The Giants play the Suns at home next week and I expect them to win and find themselves inside the eight after Round 19.
Kingsley and Taylor predicted saw it coming...

Lots of love for Taylor (and well warranted) but what a player Connor Idun has become. Does he ever lose a contest?
Thought he was magnificent.
He was brilliant on Rankine when it looked like he had half a chance.
Also was a very handy outlet as we ran it out, he is never brilliant on the way out, but works into position to make a number and gets it going to those with more skills.
I actually had idun ahead of Taylor in my points.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What an astute selection that was, late in the draft. Is he our Heath Shaw replacement?
probably a bit better defensively and not as good offensively, but a terrific player.

Stocks down comment ... but actually another plaudit for Slammer:

Stocks down: Unfortunately, Sam Taylor's All-Australian chances aren't that high given he missed seven games earlier this year, but it doesn't mean he isn't one of the league's best key defenders week in, week out. He had 21 disposals against the Crows on Saturday, 16(!) intercept possessions, 14 contested possessions, and five intercept marks. An out-and-out star.

I'll be accussed of dwelling on the past for this, but can't help but think that Jeremy Cameron would have looked really good in this now more balanced side. With respect to Hogan, a really potent tall forward is what this side is missing.
Is there any chance Sam Taylor could be a gun KPF? Or at least a good occasional stopgap, like his namesake Harry Taylor was.
Maybe something to consider for next year, or just a silly idea from me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back