Preview Round 18 2023 – Adelaide Crows vs GWS Giants, Saturday July 15, 7.40pm AEST, Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
Well, we got the result we expected against the Hawks, but it wasn’t easy. I never thought we were in trouble, but there were times you wouldn’t have put your house on it.

Look at the stats. We got smashed in the clearances, especially the centre and at the stoppages, got done in tackles and tackles inside 50, one percenters, disposals, handballs and free kicks of course. But they were clumsy, with more turnovers. I kept thinking if they fumbled the ball a bit less, there might have been a different result.

Our running game was on display and it’s a joy to watch when we get on a roll. We outscored them from defensive half chains by an impressive 55-10. Real Orange Tsunami stuff.

Significantly, we won without the services of Josh Kelly, who had just six disposals, his worst return in eight years. And Toby was kept goal-less for the first time this season. It says something we covered for them. And I continue to shake my head at the impact Briggs is having. He’s like the key to an engine.

Saturday evening in Adelaide will be huge, a classic eight-point game. This is what I think the line-up will be:

FB Jack Buckley, Sam Taylor, Isaac Cumming
HB Lachie Ash, Harry Himmelberg, Connor Idun
C Josh Kelly, Harry Perryman, Callan Ward
HF Daniel Lloyd, Jake Riccardi, Toby Bedford
FF Brent Daniels, Jesse Hogan, Toby Greene
FOL Kieren Briggs, Tom Green, Stephen Coniglio
INT Lachie Whitfield, Finn Callaghan, Phil Davis, Callum M. Brown

In: Davis, Daniels,
Out: Keeffe (injured), XOH (injured), Haynes (suspended)

Sub: Peatling

I think XOH will be rested with that thumb injury. If he’s available, Daniels can take his place. I would have Phil Davis take the place of Keeffe, as it’s almost certain Haynes will be out suspended for his tackle on Josh Ward. I would also have Peatling as the sub.

Briggs pulled up right near the end with some kind of injury. In the event he’s out, Flynn can take his place.

Kingsley’s game plan is working and he knows it. When he was asked about his aims for the rest of the season in the presser, he said “I think anything’s possible” which was really saying to the team “I believe in you”.

We’ll all be believers if we can get over the Crows.

Haynes will miss a week - Angwin for sub
XOH has broken his hand I reckon - Daniels back.
Briggs could have a corkie/strain - Flynn comes in
We’ve been playing pretty tall… I’d have Harry in back up ruck and have another runner in Fahey.

Gonna be the real test next week if we are actually going to be contenders for a finals spot.
I like our match ups with Adelaide but taking them on in Adelaide brings another level.
I'm hoping Briggs is fine
Daniels in for XO
Gruzewski for Keefe for me (I know but he's killing it in the VFL and super competitive)
Probably bring a small in for Haynes, Angwin I guess for some more pace.
Gonna need Toby Greene to fire for this one

The pressure is all on the Crows. It's their home game and no one thinks we can win.

The exception is Kingsley. That's why he came out and said anything was possible.

He's telling the team they can win - and not just against the Crows, either.

Haynes getting suspended makes the KPD situation simple; since he was the sub, a small & fast player should take that role. I would hope that Keeffe is a simple replacement too; either Derksen or Gruzewski. I'd prefer Derksen, who can ruck a bit. Daniels - if fit - seems to be a straight replacement for XOH. Otherwise, probably Harry Rowston comes back in to bolster the mid field stocks.

In: Derksen, Daniels
Out: Keeffe (injured), XOH (injured), Haynes (sub - suspended)

C Josh Kelly, Harry Perryman, Finn Callaghan
INT Lachie Whitfield, Wade Derksen, Callum Ward, Callum M. Brown

Haynes getting suspended makes the KPD situation simple; since he was the sub, a small & fast player should take that role. I would hope that Keeffe is a simple replacement too; either Derksen or Gruzewski. I'd prefer Derksen, who can ruck a bit. Daniels - if fit - seems to be a straight replacement for XOH. Otherwise, probably Harry Rowston comes back in to bolster the mid field stocks,

In: Derksen, Daniels
Out: Keeffe (injured), XOH (injured), Haynes (sub - suspended)

C Josh Kelly, Harry Perryman, Finn Callaghan
INT Lachie Whitfield, Wade Derksen, Callum Ward, Callum M. Brown
I think you are bang on here. Rowston/Angwin sub.
I'm from what I've seen in taking Gruz over Derksen. But the theory is good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s largely the backup ruck role. Plus I think he he’s had a bit more time in the system and deserves his shot.
I didn't know that Derksen had any experience as a backup ruck.
I think Gruz is the more threatening forward and I'd be going with that and chucking Ricca in the ruck when required.
Love to see Derksen get a chance though

For Keefe it needs to be Cadman or Gruz. If we are going to make finals and win them then Cadman is next up.

Derkson didn’t lay a single tackle.

I didn't know that Derksen had any experience as a backup ruck.
I think Gruz is the more threatening forward and I'd be going with that and chucking Ricca in the ruck when required.
Love to see Derksen get a chance though
Derksen has rucked whole VFL games this year, so he'd be a solid back-up ruck. I'm not sure I'd categorise Gruz as more threatening as a forward, but equally happy for him as Derksen. But a third KPF adds an extra challenge for the Adelaide defence (and I'd argue their tall defence is not a strength for them, so it's an area in which we should seek advantage), and both Derksen & Gruz are deserving of a chance.

Mostly likely that Adelaide, after coming off a poor performance, will really crack in at home and put on their front running capes.
Our boys, with 2 weeks in a row of being absolutely belted in clearances, had better find some answers for that huge gap in our performance.
Its nice to win but we are not trending well in that area, and against a half decent team, spells TROUBLE.

Haynes 1 match.
At least his 200th game (assuming he plays 3 games in a row when he comes back after suspension) will be in front of our biggest home crowd of the year vs Sydney at Giants Stadium.

Whitfield will have his 200th game at Adelaide this weekend, and become just the third Giant (after Ward and Toby) in history to reach milestone

Whitfield will have his 200th game at Adelaide this weekend, and become just the third Giant (after Ward and Toby) in history to reach milestone.
It's also Rory Sloane's 250th.

Milestone games have a habit of coming unstuck.I'd rather it was them making a fuss over Sloane than us over Whitfield.

What do we think our chances of winning this game are?
30%?
Gotta hope our backline can really put the lock on them for long enough for us to build a score with our forwards. They'll come out of the blocks hard.
Ours mids need to respond to the last few weeks...Kelly got tagged out of the game big time...I doubt they'll tag but Nicks knows our list pretty well.

Taylor on Tex
Buckley on Fog

What do we think our chances of winning this game are?
30%?
Gotta hope our backline can really put the lock on them for long enough for us to build a score with our forwards. They'll come out of the blocks hard.
Ours mids need to respond to the last few weeks...Kelly got tagged out of the game big time...I doubt they'll tag but Nicks knows our list pretty well.

Taylor on Tex
Buckley on Fog
50/50 at worst.

Prob more like 60/40.

If our mids get pumped like they have the last two weeks, 0%. Even Slamming Sam and Bucks won't be able to keep the wolves at the door with that much ball coming in.

If they can square the ledger, then it's close to an even fight. Sam & Bucks should be able to restrict Tex & Fog, but we'll leak goals to Rankine & Rachele. Up the other end, it will depend on whether we have our kicking boots on in comparison to the Crows' forwards.

The crowd and the umps will come into it - that definitely puts us below the 50/50 line.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back