Preview 2023 Round 22 – Port Adelaide vs GWS Giants, Sunday August 13, 4.40pm AEST, Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

GWS Giants’ Toby Bedford unsuccessful in overturning dangerous tackle ban from Sydney Derby

News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

08 AUGUST 2023

The Giants have been unsuccessful in their attempt to overturn Toby Bedford’s one-match ban for rough conduct.

Bedford was charged for a tackle on the Swans’ Ollie Florent in the second quarter of Saturday’s Sydney Derby.

The tackle was assessed as careless conduct, medium impact and high contact, with the Giants’ lawyer Anais d’Arville stating the club was only challenging the conduct grading.

Bedford gave evidence to suggest that when making the tackle he thought only the right arm of Florent was pinned.

“I didn’t think I’d pinned (the left arm) but looking at the replay I do have my left hand around it,” Bedford said.

“I didn’t think I had it very tight at all and thought he could protect himself with the left arm.”

During the game, the field umpire agreed with Bedford as Florent was pinged for holding the ball.

The AFL’s council, Sally Flynn KC, argued that the incident constituted a dangerous tackle because Florent was in a vulnerable position with the arm pinned and he was rotated into the ground with excessive force.

“The execution of this particular tackle fell below the standard of what a reasonable player would think is prudent in the circumstances,” Flynn said.

Flynn also showed footage of Bedford completely leaving the ground to complete the tackle. The Giants contended that this was because it was the only way to ensure that Florent did not dispose of the ball.

Bedford and the Giants tried to argue that the tackle was all momentum, while also stating that because Florent’s left arm was not completely pinned, the option was also there for the Sydney player to release the ball and brace for impact with the ground.

“The thing that stopped Florent from breaking his fall was his desire to hang onto the football,” said d’Arville.

“Had he dropped it, he would have been able to break his fall. That would have created an illegal disposal, which is what Bedford wanted.”

The medical report from the Swans confirmed that Florent had suffered no impact from the incident. While Bedford also established that his Sydney rival’s comments at the time suggested he did not think it was a dangerous tackle.

“Florent said, ‘For f--- sake, that was the third time this half,’ because it was the third time I’d tackled him and got him holding the ball,” Bedford said.

After almost 40 minutes of deliberation, the chair of the panel Renee Enbom KC confirmed that Bedford was unsuccessful in contesting that the tackle did not constitute careless conduct and as such, the one-match ban was upheld.

“Mr Bedford’s recollection that he only had a light grip on Mr Florent’s left arm is not consistent with the vision,” Enbom said.

“The vision captures both of Mr Florent’s arms pinned in the tackle, and a rotation-like movement to bring Mr Florent to the ground with excessive force.

“We find that in executing that tackle, Mr Bedford breached the duty of care he owed.”

The decision is a further blow to the Giants’ finals hopes ahead of this weekend’s clash against Port Adelaide.

Bedford leads the AFL for tackles inside 50 (2.4 per game) and has played a big part in the Giants’ return to form over the past two months.

He is the second player unavailable to take on Port after the Giants accepted a one-game ban for Brent Daniels’ dangerous tackle on Sydney’s Jake Lloyd.

Thankfully for the Giants, there is a chance Finn Callaghan will return after he was a late omission from the Derby.

GWS Giants’ Toby Bedford unsuccessful in overturning dangerous tackle ban from Sydney Derby

“The vision captures both of Mr Florent’s arms pinned in the tackle, and a rotation-like movement to bring Mr Florent to the ground with excessive force.
Wait a minute...it's either a rotation movement or it's not. They can't hedge their decision on this nonsense.
Now players can only tackle if both of them are perfectly balanced and the ball carrier conveniently has his arms raised.
This does not relate to the reality of how AFL intensity games are played.
I think the club should ask for clarity.

Wait a minute...it's either a rotation movement or it's not. They can't hedge their decision on this nonsense.
Now players can only tackle if both of them are perfectly balanced and the ball carrier conveniently has his arms raised.
This does not relate to the reality of how AFL intensity games are played.
I think the club should ask for clarity.

Clarity and consistency is one thing we won't be getting...

GWS AFL news: Adam Kingsley confident the Giants can replace suspended stars Toby Bedford and Brent Daniels

09 AUGUST 2023

Adam Kingsley is confident the Giants have the players to cover the suspensions of in-form duo Brent Daniels and Toby Bedford.

The pair have been two of GWS’ best over the past months as they surged into finals contention.

Bedford leads the competition for tackles inside forward 50 while Daniels is in the middle of a career-best year.

They will both miss the clash against Port Adelaide on Sunday after being handed rough conduct charges.

“It will be disappointing not to have (Toby), he is an important player for us along with Brent Daniels,” Kingsley said.

“I think we do (have the cover). The challenge that we’ll have is that they’ll be less experienced than those two guys — not that Toby is experienced, I think he’s only played maybe 30-odd games.

“We could be leaning on guys who haven’t played a lot of footy. We may shuffle the team around to provide a little bit more experience up front. I’m not sure which way we will go.”

It’s not the first time the Giants have had their depth tested recently, with Kingsley having to make five changes the last time they travelled to Adelaide to take on the Crows in round 18.

But they could also be without Finn Callaghan again after he was a late omission from the Sydney Derby.

“He didn’t train (Wednesday),” Kingsley said.

“Hopefully we can get him out there on Friday and see how he goes. So, until then, I don’t really know whether or not he’ll be available.”

One option for Kingsley is to recall No.1 draft pick Aaron Cadman. While he’s not a like-for-like replacement for either Daniels or Bedford, Cadman’s form could warrant selection.

He kicked 3.3 in the Giants’ VFL loss to the Swans with Kingsley hailing it as his best performance to date.

“We’ll see how all that forward line unfolds and whether we’re happy with the mix,” Kingsley said.

“He kicked three, but he missed a couple and gave a couple off, it could have been a six or seven-goal game from him.

“It’s an impressive one, arguably his best VFL game for the season. It’s been a really good start to his career and we’re really happy with how he’s progressed, and he’ll certainly be in the mix this week.”

Port Adelaide has lost its past four matches and the Giants will be looking to make it five on Sunday.

And while their recent form has some questioning their premiership credentials, Kingsley is ensuring there won’t be any complacency from his side.

“It’s a tough game at Adelaide Oval against a top-four team, albeit they haven’t been at their absolute best the last month, but still no doubt very capable,” he said.

“They have been competitive. A loss by a couple of goals against Geelong … three weeks ago they probably should have beaten Collingwood who we all rate as the best team in the comp.

“Offensively they’re able to move the ball and they feel like their midfield is really explosive. It generates a lot of inside 50s for them, and scores … we’ve got our own strengths that we’ll try and attack them with but we’ll see how it all pans out.

“I think it’d be foolish of us to think that we’re coming against a Port Adelaide team that isn’t capable.”

Two wins from their remaining three games would likely secure finals footy for the Giants which would be a fantastic result for Kingsley in his first year in charge.

“Well, if we’re good enough, we’ll make it. And that’s our attitude,” he said.

GWS AFL news: Adam Kingsley confident the Giants can replace suspended stars Toby Bedford and Brent Daniels

09 AUGUST 2023

Adam Kingsley is confident the Giants have the players to cover the suspensions of in-form duo Brent Daniels and Toby Bedford.

The pair have been two of GWS’ best over the past months as they surged into finals contention.

Bedford leads the competition for tackles inside forward 50 while Daniels is in the middle of a career-best year.

They will both miss the clash against Port Adelaide on Sunday after being handed rough conduct charges.

“It will be disappointing not to have (Toby), he is an important player for us along with Brent Daniels,” Kingsley said.

“I think we do (have the cover). The challenge that we’ll have is that they’ll be less experienced than those two guys — not that Toby is experienced, I think he’s only played maybe 30-odd games.

“We could be leaning on guys who haven’t played a lot of footy. We may shuffle the team around to provide a little bit more experience up front. I’m not sure which way we will go.”

It’s not the first time the Giants have had their depth tested recently, with Kingsley having to make five changes the last time they travelled to Adelaide to take on the Crows in round 18.

But they could also be without Finn Callaghan again after he was a late omission from the Sydney Derby.

“He didn’t train (Wednesday),” Kingsley said.

“Hopefully we can get him out there on Friday and see how he goes. So, until then, I don’t really know whether or not he’ll be available.”

One option for Kingsley is to recall No.1 draft pick Aaron Cadman. While he’s not a like-for-like replacement for either Daniels or Bedford, Cadman’s form could warrant selection.

He kicked 3.3 in the Giants’ VFL loss to the Swans with Kingsley hailing it as his best performance to date.

“We’ll see how all that forward line unfolds and whether we’re happy with the mix,” Kingsley said.

“He kicked three, but he missed a couple and gave a couple off, it could have been a six or seven-goal game from him.

“It’s an impressive one, arguably his best VFL game for the season. It’s been a really good start to his career and we’re really happy with how he’s progressed, and he’ll certainly be in the mix this week.”

Port Adelaide has lost its past four matches and the Giants will be looking to make it five on Sunday.

And while their recent form has some questioning their premiership credentials, Kingsley is ensuring there won’t be any complacency from his side.

“It’s a tough game at Adelaide Oval against a top-four team, albeit they haven’t been at their absolute best the last month, but still no doubt very capable,” he said.

“They have been competitive. A loss by a couple of goals against Geelong … three weeks ago they probably should have beaten Collingwood who we all rate as the best team in the comp.

“Offensively they’re able to move the ball and they feel like their midfield is really explosive. It generates a lot of inside 50s for them, and scores … we’ve got our own strengths that we’ll try and attack them with but we’ll see how it all pans out.

“I think it’d be foolish of us to think that we’re coming against a Port Adelaide team that isn’t capable.”

Two wins from their remaining three games would likely secure finals footy for the Giants which would be a fantastic result for Kingsley in his first year in charge.

“Well, if we’re good enough, we’ll make it. And that’s our attitude,” he said.
Callaghan won't be lining up. If he couldn't even train after being a late withdrawal last week, it must be more serious than we think.

Callaghan highly unlikely. For a team who builds their game around pressure, to not have their two best pressure players in… we are certainly the underdog in this one.
Yeah I agree. It's a tough game for us and with less pressure being applied up the field by our smalls their entries will be better. Gonna be bloody tough.

Kingsley seems to have a huge wrap on Cadman based on the interview above. Does not seem to have the same high regard for Wade Derksen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kingsley seems to have a huge wrap on Cadman based on the interview above. Does not seem to have the same high regard for Wade Derksen.
Would you expect him to talk about a midseason draftee who hasn't played yet or a no 1 pick from last year who just had a great performance in the VFL?
I rate Derksen but he's clearly behind Cadman ATM

Would you expect him to talk about a midseason draftee who hasn't played yet or a no 1 pick from last year who just had a great performance in the VFL?
I'd actually expect him to have an opinion on all of the players on the list. Clearly, we don't know what's going on in his mind regarding players, roles & expectations.

But the point that MelbourneGWS was making (I believe), with which I agree, is that he never seems to raise Derksen as a possibility, or talk about his qualities or chances of first grade selection, yet his performances in VFL this year have - at least on outputs - been superior to Cadman. That doesn't make him a better long-term prospect (and I'm certainly not saying that). It just seems that for some reason he's on the outer.

I'd actually expect him to have an opinion on all of the players on the list. Clearly, we don't know what's going on in his mind regarding players, roles & expectations.

But the point that MelbourneGWS was making (I believe), with which I agree, is that he never seems to raise Derksen as a possibility, or talk about his qualities or chances of first grade selection, yet his performances in VFL this year have - at least on outputs - been superior to Cadman. That doesn't make him a better long-term prospect (and I'm certainly not saying that). It just seems that for some reason he's on the outer.
At least Wade got an extension till 2025, so happy for him. Hard to see Wade debuting this season, with just 3 critical regular season games left, unless he’s a sub due to our regular players being unavailable.

With Derksen and McMullin just announced as signing on, wonder whether they’ll get a debit this weekend?

Derksen for Keefe?
McMullin for Stormy/Bedford? Stone and Peatling more likely though.

You’re right they don’t seem to be talking up Derksen much, when he’s been very good in vfl (much better than Cadman).

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

With Derksen and McMullin just announced as signing on, wonder whether they’ll get a debut this weekend?

Derksen for Keefe?
McMullin for Stormy/Bedford? Stone and Peatling more likely though.
While Toby McMullin doesn't seem to have "killed it" at VFL level, he's been a solid performer, and I guess I'm sentimental enough to want to have the draftees at least debut in their first year. Practically, though, it does give the coach the chance to see what they've got at the top level. (Hence why I was very happy to see Cadman get a run, including an extended run, to test his mettle at the top level.) The fact that we're down on troops in one specific role just opens a practical way to give him a go. The main opposition to McMullin would, in my mind, be Peatling. Granted he's much more experienced, but we've also seen his weaknesses at the top level, so giving McMullin a go would seem to be an option. If Callaghan doesn't get up, which right now I suspect is the case, then possibly both Peatling & McMullin get called up for Binga & Snooze. That would seem pretty reasonable.

Stone is the other option, but personally I think that would make us too tall. For mine, Callum Brown is now playing the role (very well, I might add!) that I envisaged for Stone. The main aspect of his game that he lacks for me is the pressure.

You know that personally I would replace Keeffe with Derksen in a heartbeat, but from AK's comments, I suspect Keeffe will keep his place, or Cadman will get the chance instead.

OK, which one of you spread the plague to Port?

;)
To be fair we’ve been battling Hinkley for 11 years so plague is entrenched

Good luck this week boys n girls with Kingsley and Monty at GWS there’s a port flavour to your club these days and Kingers has a pride and passion for winning we can only dream of, also loved your last game here big time did what we apparently are incapable of 👍

Looking forward to seeing GWS in the flesh I have to be honest

Callaghan didn't train yesterday so probably against it to play unless he comes good by Friday.
Peatling and McMullin would be an interesting look up forward.
Imagine debuting in a must win away game at Adelaide oval.
I can see them chucking Rowston forward as a tackling/chasing machine. He's an aggressive one.
Doesn't look like Callaghan is coming back in this weekend.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back