Autopsy 2023 Round 22 – Port Adelaide vs GWS Giants, Sunday August 13, 4.40pm AEST, Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

The eye test said the midfield got dominated and the numbers certainly back that up.
We won’t be doing any real damage in finals when our midfield is just not good enough.
Might be better result long term if we miss finals.

When its not your day, its not your day.

They were very good and we weren't. Very fumbling in the clearances, we had first hands on it a lot, but coughed it up. With the ultra clean Green and Kelly being the biggest offenders.
Once it was against us Port just hit everything, the maybe/maybe not calls seemed to mostly go against us and even the bounce of the ball seemed to work against us.

We missed our run. Bedford, Daniels and IMO Angwin provide excellent 2 way running. That was a big out for us.

Plus side I think McMullin looked like he was an AFL player in the making but not the finished product yet.

The eye test said the midfield got dominated and the numbers certainly back that up.
We won’t be doing any real damage in finals when our midfield is just not good enough.
Might be better result long term if we miss finals.
we were very fumbly in there.

IMHO, a problem that Kingsley needs to solve are the players whose best spot is in defence, but are often being played out of position.

Namely, Cumming and Haynes.

Both seem lost and not sure where they fit in the 'structure'.

It was a bad day - sure - but those days also expose our repeated failings.

Hogan and Riccardi just doesn't work for me as a forward pairing.

One of them has to have some constant mongrel and crash the packs/get the ball to ground.

We need the opposition backs to always have the thought of a 6'5" 100kg forward crashing into them.

Last edited:
Lots of fumbling and poor linking… bounce of the ball went against us too …. Another preseason to get things rolling and see how things run next year. Boys have done a solid job all season and just got outplayed last night

Tough slog today.

Almost wanted to look away for a while but somehow managed to get through the game. Least the commentators weren't too bad, watched a game yesterday which was quite clear who the commentator's favourite to win was which made listening quite difficult while trying to watch.

Riccardi with his 4 goals today, very thankful and glad for that - Not sure how others feel, though I find Riccardi shows some promise and then fades.

Wish we could see some more consistency from him because his 4 goals today has me once again questioning whether there is some promise there.
There's no doubting his talent - we just want him to bring it more consistently.

Hogan and Riccardi just doesn't work for me as a forward pairing.

Last year and early this year I 100% agreed with this but the then Bedford came into the side and along with Binga it looked like it could work. Its no coincidence that those 2 smalls go out and we look too tall and slow up fwd. We couldn't find a way to keep the same structure for this game which is unfortunate, and a big ask for McMullin at this stage. It has been a weakness on the list for a while now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back