Preview 2023 Round 9 – Collingwood vs GWS Giants, Sunday, May 14, 4.40PM AEST, MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
I watched this afternoon's game between Collingwood and the Swans, to see what we might expect this coming Sunday.

Collingwood are developing a reputation as a strong last quarter team, and so it proved this afternoon.They kicked 5.2 to 1.2 and ran away with it. Up until then the game had been an arm wrestle; Collingwood seemed a bit flat at times and the Swans even led at the main break. But they were smashed in the hit-outs and tackles inside 50. The umpires also slaughtered them, 24 free kicks to 10.

We can't do much about the umpiring. The question is whether we can do anything meaningful with changes to the team.

Kingsley thought Toby would be back this week, I think probably at the expense of Lloyd. That will help, not least because of the effect Toby has on his team-mates.

Kingsley has also shown he's not afraid to bench Cadman, but I can't see him getting dropped. Experience on the MCG is important in his development as a long-term KPP.

Riccardi, Davis, Briggs all played well in the VFL. If he's fully fit, Davis might help plug the gap left by Taylor. It's what to do about helping Flynn in the ruck that is difficult. To have any chance we have to at least break even in the centre clearances.

I don't think there will be major changes anyway. Kingsley is more interested in making sure we stick to the game plan at the moment and wants consistency. We need to play a four quarter game to have any chance of causing an upset.

One thing's for sure. We're not expected to win, so the pressure will be on Collingwood.

Looking at the elements of the Pies team:
  • Tall Forwards: Mihocek and Johnson are their main tall forwards, but at 192/193 cms, Buckley/Idun/Haynes are OK size-wise (as opposed to the Bulldogs KPDs). Containing them is more containing their running patterns. Cox will be back for his second game - he may play more ruck than he did today, in which case his size will add a problem and we may look to someone like Davis; or, simply trust Buckley to him and leave Haynes & Idun on Mihocek & Johnson.
  • Small/medium forwards: JDG, Hill, Ginnivan, WHE, Elliott & McCreery will be another tough test, given our weakness in controlling smalls generally. Brown may keep his spot, with a view to using his speed on someone like JDG or Elliott. Any way we plan, they'll be dangerous.
  • Ruck: Cox/Frampton is a different beast to Tim English. Frampton took the greater number of ruck contests against Swans, but this was Cox's first week back. Pies may choose to drop Frampton back, and primarily ruck Cox, or have the same mix, in which case Cox will play more forward. I suspect we'll just keep the Flynn/HH combo; we know what Flynn brings (and what he doesn't!).
  • Tall defenders: Pies are somewhat undersized too with their injuries; obviously Moore is having a great season and will likely take Hogan, while 192cm Murphy will take either HH or Cadman. There's a chance for us to exploit the Pies' setup, but they've been pretty successful in their defence this season, and Cadman is still very green, so we'd need to execute a better system than we did against Bulldogs.
  • Small defenders: Pies have a pretty dynamic bunch, and the question will arise about GWS tagging Daicos. Give that we didn't tag Cripps and Bont, I doubt AK will tag Daicos. We could set someone like Bedford or Peatling to do a close negating roll on him (without being a clear tag). Maynard will probably be sent to Toby again - presuming he's fit - and we'll be reliant on him providing a spark and kicking goals.
Presuming Toby's fit, does he do a straight swap with Lloyd? If Angwin is injured, who's the replacement? Is it time to blood Fahey, even if it requires a role adjustment of Whitfield to wing and Fahey to HBF? Or do we push Lloyd back to a wing role? Personally, I'd like to see what Fahey could do, especially if he could provide some accurate kicking on rebound.

Do we rest Cadman, or give him the MCG experience as LotG said? I've certainly been vocal about giving him time to develop, so no issues if he remains. Alternatively, Gruzewski has proven to be a bit of a livewire in VFL, and at some stage should get rewards. His ability to mark might provide a point of difference. Otherwise, Wade Derksen has been solid. However, his value would seem to be as relief ruck with his goalkicking (apart from one bag) more limited. With HH rucking OK, it's probably Gruzewski who gives us a different skillset. Such as discussion might be moot anyway, and AK might keep Cadman anway.

The bigger issue for me is whether our mids can fire and beat the Pies' midfield. Mitchell, JDG, Adams, Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Daicos isn't the most powerful midfield, but are very experience and doing a solid job. If we can replicate the 4th quarter from the Dogs game for longer, we could get the upper hand. But the most important aspect of the gameplan will be our F50 entries. If we do what we normally do, we'll be fodder for Moore's intercepting and Daicos' rebounding. We need to unlock some better system I50 - and then kick straight - to do any damage.

Ward/XO seem to be playing that defensive forward role.
Don't think Ward would have the speed to go with Daicos; XOH has a burst of speed and endurance, so perhaps he might work. He's not a tagger, but it seems AK doesn't really like tagging, so it's more just a case of matching skills to at least compete and curtail his influence.

Peatling or Bedford the others who could be put into that role; but Pies have got others who also need to be covered defensively at the same time playing their own offensive game.

I doubt we will tag him. Obviously they'll want to keep him accountable though. XO feels like a good option. I want Bedford focusing on scoring

Going to be hard against the premiership favourites in front of their parochial fans in MCG. The market has Collingwood as very clear favourites at $1.15 (we are $5.50!). A lot of things will need to go right for us.

Going to be hard against the premiership favourites in front of their parochial fans in MCG. The market has Collingwood as very clear favourites at $1.15 (we are $5.50!). A lot of things will need to go right for us.
The experience will be invaluable, but what I'm afraid of is a blowout.

We're really just managing to hold on at the moment, and were lucky to beat the Hawks and Swans.

We're haven't been able to control any games to date. I think the lack of a mobile ruckman is hurting us.

$3.75 against swans was way overs and $5.50 against the pies is the same.

On the couch showed that you to beat them you handball and move the ball quickly to beat their defence. Kick mark doesn’t beat them which isn’t how we play.

I think we need to give HH more time in the ruck during the game. 2 weeks in a row he has sparked a massive comeback in the 4th.

The experience will be invaluable, but what I'm afraid of is a blowout.

We're really just managing to hold on at the moment, and were lucky to beat the Hawks and Swans.

We're haven't been able to control any games to date. I think the lack of a mobile ruckman is hurting us.
I think its the inconcistency of our pressure that is hurting us far more

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I liked the team we fielded last week.
If Angwin is out then I'd bring Peatling in and use Rowston as the sub.

Obvs Loyd out for Toby.

Guess the question is whether they keep Cadman in. I think on the MCG he will have more space to work in and it's great experience on the big stage.

I got on GWS at 3.80 against the swans to be fair

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I got them at $3.75. It was just too good to say no.

$5.50 against the pies seems equally enticing. $2 for a 5 goal start is nice too. We aren’t playing poorly and they haven’t been playing that well
Yep, Pies have given plenty of clubs a look this (and last) year, but powered home in the end. If we could actually not drop off in one quarter, and still kick home in the fourth quarter, it's not impossible for us to beat them. Unlikely, yes, but possible. We need Toby though.

Concerns me more than usual this game, especially if the players have the game plan of giving it to Daicos, sanctioned or not by the coaching staff.

It's happened before when the Giants were more focussed on the Bulldogs players. Didn't end well.

I'd prefer reverse psychology - if this is what Kingsley is doing, I'm all for it.

Let the Pies think we are going for Daicos, but instead focus on the game plan and try to catch them unawares.

Still think the Pies will win, but the margin is dependant on whether the Giants are overly aggressive and lose their focus on actually winning the game.

Last edited:
Collingwood v Greater Western Sydney at the MCG, 4.40pm AEST

COLLINGWOOD

In:
T.Bianco, T.Ruscoe, R.McInnes, A.Begg
Out: B.Frampton (groin)

Last week's sub: Jack Ginnivan

GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY

In:
T.Greene, J.Riccardi, C.Fleeton
Out: None

Last week's sub: James Peatling

Hmmm, still no Fahey, Angwin & Toby named on field ... minor possibility that Fleeton replaces Brown in the backline. Cadman could yet be dropped, essentially for Toby to return.

1683793603591.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back