Rumour 2023 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 37!, 1 (busted) BIG FISH ALERT last October 9th) (9 confirmed! 17 Busted!)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had a review and fired the coaches and head of football for a season where we won 10 games and finished 11th.

Five years on we are actually worse now.

Imagine defending that. With all those high draft picks plus Dawson and Rankine coming in, we haven't made any progress.

"iT's tHe pLaYeRz fAuLt"

Yep, standards have changed to accepting less than bare minimum.

A coach who cant coach
Our worst players dont even have to play football anymore, they just have to run the boundary to keep a shape? apparently

If this was a video game in career mode, we'd have quit by now!

I still think there needs to be a calculated approach to selection and games not given away. Since our 0-4 start - even taking out the Kangas bye - we're 2-2-1 against 4 top 8 sides and last year's grand finalist with a + 25 point differential. I don't want to play coulda woulda shoulda but that could easily have ben 5-0. We're not that far away and while finals are unlikely, they're still possible.
This is where the disconnect exists. The people you are discussing with do not believe that we can make finals (quite rightly in my opinion). We need 8, maybe 9 wins to make the bottom end of the top eight. From our back half of the year - West Coast, Hawthorn x2, Richmond, Sydney x2, GWS, Brisbane, St Kilda, Essendon, Geelong, WB and Port - I'm seeing a maximum of 6 wins.

And even if a miracle occurred, we won the minimum requirement of eight games and we did slip in... we'd probably lose week 1 anyway. So what was the point?

I - as well as several others here - would rather see us finish 12th-14th while getting as much experience into younger players as possible (rather than playing known plodders or struggling seniors) than gunning for an unattainable finals spot, finishing 9th-11th and not having anything to show for it but a worse draft pick.

This is where the disconnect exists. The people you are discussing with do not believe that we can make finals (quite rightly in my opinion). We need 8, maybe 9 wins to make the bottom end of the top eight. From our back half of the year - West Coast, Hawthorn x2, Richmond, Sydney x2, GWS, Brisbane, St Kilda, Essendon, Geelong, WB and Port - I'm seeing a maximum of 6 wins.

And even if a miracle occurred, we won the minimum requirement of eight games and we did slip in... we'd probably lose week 1 anyway. So what was the point?

I - as well as several others here - would rather see us finish 12th-14th while getting as much experience into younger players as possible (rather than playing known plodders or struggling seniors) than gunning for an unattainable finals spot, finishing 9th-11th and not having anything to show for it but a worse draft pick.

I reckon making 8th this year will require 13 wins and percentage or a draw

So Nicks needs to win 10 of the final 13 games

Another misconception that Nicks selects the team by himself...not the case, there's a selection committee. But even if, who do you bring in? You can only choose from the players you have, hence these guys (along with Cook, Murphy and Sholl - who doesn't have the body for AFL) being cycled through the last few spots. Who's banging down the door in the SANFL? Bring in Dowling and everyone howls that we have too many inside mids. Bond hasn't done anywhere near enough, Taylor is always injured, Edwards and Ryan aren't ready.

It's not that the team can't execute yet, it's the list.

The head coach definitely has more sway when it comes down to it - and it could be assumed that McHenry and Murphy definitely have a strong advocate at selection and have done so for a few years now. I would bet good money they would not have reached the number of games at any other successful AFL club.

So much of Nicks pressers seem to now consist of "When the time is right" statements, which seem to be his way of saying he doesn't want to do something without saying he doesn't want to do something.

Rachele getting more midfield? Time isn't right (and he's gotten even less this year that last)
New players being brought into the 22? Time isn't right for that yet.

So much of Nicks pressers seem to now consist of "When the time is right" statements, which seem to be his way of saying he doesn't want to do something without saying he doesn't want to do something.

Rachele getting more midfield? Time isn't right (and he's gotten even less this year that last)
We don't rush into things... except for extending his contract.

It's going to be fun seeing us pay people not to work for us once again.

Thats the game plan? The only time that’s been the game plan was last year when we were the highest scoring team with the 9th worse defence, hardly a disaster there and we just missed finals.

Compare that to the game plan we started the year. Slow, no play on instead kick to kick. We went from the highest to the lowest scoring team with minimal improvement in our points against. Why is it that we need to fall behind and then we come with a late rate rush to constantly fall short? We aren’t conceding a lot of goals when choose to attack to make up ground on those deficits otherwise we wouldn’t be. He chose to stick with the vanilla midfield mix until he had no choice to and then introduced Soligo and Rankine. Even now he’s choosing to play Laird and Crouch in there with their 14 kicks and 42 handballs.

How about his game plan that results in intercept defenders having a field day on us? How about giving up on doing anything to try and stop Stewart because he’s too good and yet Port have stopped him twice in a row with ******* McEntee?

You talk about the players Nicks has been given, his game plan starts and end with the contest and that’s the players he’s got, so what’s the problem? Thats his primary focus.

You can choose to dismiss Nicks criticisms but that just puts you in the same make believe world as Wayne.
WW excellent.gif

You can't teach chipmunks to tapdance Captain Furious

And yet George, surely if you have the best offence in the AFL in 2023 .....your work-on (I hate these new jargon term) is to improve your DEF ?

Every team is changing or modifying their gameplan every 6-8 weeks ....every analyst acknowledges this fact , yet there seems to be a prevailing POV the gameplan is set for the year

The commentary around SYD ATM is whether they have peaked too early in the season, and provided oppo teams the chance to pick their gameplan apart ......of course that means oppo teams changing / modifying their gameplans to beat the best

The Crows are no different ....have they (Nicks) made mistakes ...hell yeah
But I prefer to watch the changes to the bad start ....and how a Coach works himself out of the mire

Again ....I refer to Voss getting himself out of a pickle last year ....a sign of a good coach ..yet again this year, he finds himself going thru a similar stretch of bad losses

Nothings linear

How about Rachele playing a half decent game first .....he clearly is not the answer ATM on form

Who's ready ? .....Schoenberg, well he's in

Everyone's talking point Dowling ....if you watch him, he clearly is not ready
Dowling is in that space of being a very good SANFL player, but not having the game yet for AFL .....He is not using his legs to break away, he reads the game very well, but is not going to be given the space in the AFL ....he has to use his legs to create space

How about Rachele playing a half decent game first .....he clearly is not the answer ATM on form

Dowling is in that space of being a very good SANFL player, but not having the game yet for AFL .....He is not using his legs to break away, he reads the game very well, but is not going to be given the space in the AFL ....he has to use his legs to create space
I'd rather they gave him a few games for that to be determined, rather than a blanket comment that he is not ready for x and y reasons. Who knows, maybe he thrives at AFL level.

Plus the disconnect is thinking playing kids means you’re doing your chances of winning harm.

Example subbing Nank for Smith
Playing McHenry over any of our juniors
Playing senior players who have sore backs, example Tex and then the ****head repeated it with Smith

I'd rather they gave him a few games for that to be determined, rather than a blanket comment that he is not read for x and y reasons. Who knows, maybe he thrives at AFL level.
Isn't that a supporter feeling though, with nothing at stake on the end of the call

The selection committee have much more at stake .....Rachele, one day is likely to play midfield, currently though, there's a string of other players we should get in B4 him .....Pedlar & Schoenberg

Rachele can't hold Rankines bag at the moment

View attachment 1998736

You can't teach chipmunks to tapdance Captain Furious

And yet George, surely if you have the best offence in the AFL in 2023 .....your work-on (I hate these new jargon term) is to improve your DEF ?

Every team is changing or modifying their gameplan every 6-8 weeks ....every analyst acknowledges this fact , yet there seems to be a prevailing POV the gameplan is set for the year

The commentary around SYD ATM is whether they have peaked too early in the season, and provided oppo teams the chance to pick their gameplan apart ......of course that means oppo teams changing / modifying their gameplans to beat the best

The Crows are no different ....have they (Nicks) made mistakes ...hell yeah
But I prefer to watch the changes to the bad start ....and how a Coach works himself out of the mire

Again ....I refer to Voss getting himself out of a pickle last year ....a sign of a good coach ..yet again this year, he finds himself going thru a similar stretch of bad losses

Nothings linear
You still here? Thought you were working on your shape answer? Or to frightened that’s going to expose you?

Do I need to bump your posts where you’ve said you didn’t account for our coach going rogue with our gameplan in games 1-4? You see Wayne, you can’t criticise his coaching and then criticise those who are making the same points.

Then there is the criticism from last week for playing Laird and Crouch together.

Do you want me to really embarrass you by bringing up these quotes?

As for changing the gameplan to improve our defence. Given we went from highest scoring to lowest in 4 weeks for a marginal improvement in score against, resulting in us starting 0-4 and missing finals because of it, was it a good change? Just dismissing it now is Mary Poppins level of thinking especially he keeps making stupid rookie errors.

Do I need to bump your posts where you’ve said you didn’t account for our coach going rogue with our gameplan in games 1-4? You see Wayne, you can’t criticise his coaching and then criticise those who are making the same points.
There's a difference ....I'm not backing away from my early criticism of Nicks, as I've included in all my references .....however that's a far different position than the prevailing theme of "Nicks is ****" , irrespective of the changes he has made over the last 5-6 weeks ....and for which he's not receiving any credit

It demonstrates a lack of nuanced thinking

Yes, I still believe the inclusion of Crouch & Laird, the latter having continued his loss of pace this year from last year ....are fundamental to our slow midfield and inability to stop fast midfield transition

The question is, apart from Rankine, we've had no-one able to step in .....OR there's been an unwillingness to shift the 2 players ....with Crouch, that means dropping him, or having him as a sub ....I'm happy with either, just don't play Crouch

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's a difference ....I'm not backing away from my early criticism of Nicks, as I've included in all my references .....however that's a far different position than the prevailing theme of "Nicks is ****" , irrespective of the changes he has made over the last 5-6 weeks ....and for which he's not receiving any credit

Yes, I still believe the inclusion of Crouch & Laird, the latter having continued his loss of pace this year from last year ....are fundamental to our slow midfield and inability to stop fast midfield transition

The question is, apart from Rankine, we've had no-one able to step in .....OR there's been an unwillingness to shift the 2 players ....with Crouch, that means dropping him, or having him as a sub ....I'm happy with either, just don't play Crouch
5th year as coach changing our game plan so we miss finals, I am sorry but thats just unacceptable. It clearly shows a complete lack of intellect, judgement and shit opinions.

Nicks doesnt deserve credit for fixing his **** up by going back to what he shouldnt have changed. Plus its not like the rookie errors have stopped, Laird/Crouch selections, selections, crazy sub calls, playing out of form and injured senior players, intercept defenders having field days and giving up trying to stop them like Stewart, perhaps he should call Ken.

And the post you inserted yourself in was replying to Nicks supposedly having an attacking game plan but we couldn't play it.

I also find it ironic that you have inserted yourself into the discussion when not to long ago you criticised me for doing the same, another case of your hypocrisy. Would you like me to bump that post also?

And no Wayne, the question is:

WHATS YOUR EXPLANATION OF SHAPE?

I'm confused about what Nicks should receive credit for

He modified the gameplan in the early rounds and made it worse, then his solution has brought us back to the same state we were in last year. Except last year we didn't make finals, and now he's doing the same stuff that didn't lead us to finals only with an even worse start.

So far we've beaten three teams we beat last year, another close loss to Collingwood, regressed against Brisbane (we actually beat them at home last year).

What's there to give him credit for? Making us much worse than last year, then better but still worse?

Yeah I'm not impressed by that

I’m sorry but Rachele playing a half decent game first? Please enlighten me what is required for a half decent game on a half forward flank.

This is going to be good.

I'm confused about what Nicks should receive credit for

He modified the gameplan in the early rounds and made it worse, then his solution has brought us back to the same state we were in last year. Except last year we didn't make finals, and now he's doing the same stuff that didn't lead us to finals only with an even worse start.

So far we've beaten three teams we beat last year, another close loss to Collingwood, regressed against Brisbane (we actually beat them at home last year).

What's there to give him credit for? Making us much worse than last year, then better but still worse?

Yeah I'm not impressed by that
Are we the same team though as last year ? .....if that's the comparison you're making

Thilthorpe, Pedlar, Murray, and Milera out .....key pieces of the team

I'm not suggesting Nicks is blameless, and doesn't hold responsibility for preparation ....of course he does

However, our depth, or lack there-off has been exposed ....and it was clear early, some players believed their own hype about being Finals bound

It's clear though, that the comments from Cornes a few days ago about some Port supporters hoping port fails ....can also be attributed to the Crows ....and it seems similar comments are being made in Cricket circles by Gillespie

So is it an ADEL cultural issue

He’s not Waynes boy so he doesn’t like him
No, I just didn't buy into the Draft hype around Rachele, as the next Toby Greene .....everyone can see that's a laughable comparison

Can he be a cornerstone player of our Club ? .....3 years in & the jury is still out .....and so is Rachele's swagger

And what's with thinking that of the Crouch and Laird combo that Crouch is the one that should be dropped?

Crouch has been clearly better this season than Laird
Because, if you study Crouch closely, he has reverted back to the gamestyle that saw him racking up possessions in the SANFL ....and everyone here saying no AFL Club would take him

Do yourself a favor ....go and watch one of the first 2-3 games of his late 2023 season return ....and compare his movements to what he's putting up now ....chalk & cheese

Are we the same team though as last year ? .....if that's the comparison you're making

Thilthorpe, Pedlar, Murray, and Milera out .....key pieces of the team

I'm not suggesting Nicks is blameless, and doesn't hold responsibility for preparation ....of course he does

However, our depth, or lack there-off has been exposed ....and it was clear early, some players believed their own hype about being Finals bound

It's clear though, that the comments from Cornes a few days ago about some Port supporters hoping port fails ....can also be attributed to the Crows ....and it seems similar comments are being made in Cricket circles by Gillespie

So is it an ADEL cultural issue

Our injuries to three players (Pedlar hasn't missed much, it's Nicks choice he isn't playing) are easily compensated for with all our young players adding tons of games

They're not even core players missing. Our entire midfield is fit and more experienced. Milera is a role player, Thilthorpe a third tall. Murray a loss but Keane has been playing well.

Nicks doesn't even have the excuse of playing younger and less experienced players. He's picked largely the same team as last year, and has rotated through his preferred bunch of fringe players.

So no, I don't buy this crap that the team is vastly different to last year. The issue is actually that it's too similar

Isn't that a supporter feeling though, with nothing at stake on the end of the call

The selection committee have much more at stake .....Rachele, one day is likely to play midfield, currently though, there's a string of other players we should get in B4 him .....Pedlar & Schoenberg

Rachele can't hold Rankines bag at the moment

What!

Do a comparison of Izak (who now in his fifth year) and Rachele when both in their third year of football. You might be pleasantly surprised.

What!

Do a comparison of Izak (who now in his fifth year) and Rachele when both in their third year of football. You might be pleasantly surprised.
Not even close Kirky ...Rankine was doing what he's doing now in U18's

I said from day dot ....Rankine is a midfielder ....then there was this crap, he wasn't fit enough for the midfield .....more rubbish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back