2nds 2024 Adelaide Crows SANFL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The big takeaways for me were

Curtin played a lot better when he was played up the ground instead of deep in defense. He will never do much at SANFL level - certainly not enough for a typical "knocking the door down" performance - if he continues to play deep defense. The coaches need to be comfortable picking him regardless of SANFL form or heavily weighting their decision on how he plays outside of deep defense.

We do have midfield, outside and half back depth. There is no excuse for carrying underperforming players at AFL level. Dowling, Nankervis, Edwards and Ryan all have attributes that could translate well to the higher level if given the chance. All played well for parts or all of the match

Cook plays a role that will never deliver a huge knock the door down performance at SANFL level. Opinions will vary on whether he's good enough (I think he's worth more of a try than we've given him) but anyone wanting to see a 25 touch 3 goal game before elevating him to AFL will have to wait forever. No player playing wing or half forward in our SANFL team will ever have a huge game.

Toby Murray is worth retiring Sloane early for so we can draft him in the mid-season rookie draft. It absolutely makes sense with our ruck and forward depth

Gollant has gone backwards, even though he ended with 2 goals.

He's very raw but I like the athletic profile of Gallagher and didn't think he was awful even though it's probably only his 3rd proper game of football

Other players not mentioned are depth only based on today's game, with the caveat being Strachan is a good depth ruck to keep around

Most of them were chips around the backline, but he did get a few intercepts. I think he was pretty good in the second half for the most part. Played up the ground in the third quarter and grabbed a few intercepts across half-forward when the opposition were rebounding, and did some good defensive stuff in the final term. Probably still a way off from AFL but didn't look out of his depth.
Thanks!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why have they fallen off the wagon? I thought they’ve been good recently?
Like Eagleboy2011 said South Adelaide’s inability to recruit multiple talents or retain recruits led to poor 2022 & 2023 seasons, also the location is really starting to hurt them more than other SANFL clubs especially when you figure most SANFL players are living/want to live more metro & the majority are probably in Trades, commercial business, finance or studying.

If you still have the desire to actually play SANFL after 9-5 the last thing you probably want to do is travel out the way down to training at Noarlunga especially when other/closer SANFL teams are offering you a similar deal.

Plus those that are located closer/down South East have a much more easier pull of just getting payed to pay Local/country footy.

The expanding southern suburbs/metropolitan Adelaide has helped them with having strong juniors but hasn’t transferred to the league side, I do have questions whether it’s sustainable on-field to stay at Noarlunga but they’ll probably never leave due to having the Jimmy Deane’s bar down their pulling in gambling money.

If I was them I’d even look to change where they train to a more Adelaide metro location and just look to play on the weekends at Noarlunga, see if that would change anything.

Well he certainly didn't cut yours because I thought the South's 28 year old reserves ruck Oliver Megins did pretty bloody well against him and even Freitag when opposed to him.
Well the club agrees with me. Best player Strauchnie. I rest my case your honour
Well he certainly didn't cut yours because I thought the South's 28 year old reserves ruck Oliver Megins did pretty bloody well against him and even Freitag when opposed to him.

Hamish said (edit on SEN) he’s spoken to Ian and junior Callinan about him playing in our SANFL side if he doesn’t get on a list via SSP

Adelaide eventually overcame a brave South Adelaide by five points in a thrilling encounter at Flinders University Stadium.

Crows midfielder Billy Dowling made his imprint on the game when it mattered most, booting a long bomb goal from outside 50m to put his team up by seven points in the 26th minute of the final term.

This came after an influential centre clearance from the North Adelaide draftee – who tallied 34 disposals, seven marks and seven tackles – ended in the arms of Lachlan Gollant, who kicked truly.

The plucky Panthers had their chances to redeem some premiership points but a behind to Nic Dunshea and fellow debutant Angus Bradley consigned them to an extremely honourable defeat.

The hosts led by as much as 33 points when AAMI Rookie Noah Howes kicked one of his three majors late in the second term but were unable to hold on as the heat became a factor on their youthful legs.

Missing a host of several key players including star midfielders and leadership group members Kobe Mutch and Ollie Davis, South at least unearthed plenty of promise in key forward Howes and mature defender Nic Schroder, who looked very composed.

Elliot Dunkin led the way with 28 disposals while Hayden Sampson racked up 27 touches with his run and carry.

South recruit Jake Arundell, from Box Hill, impressed with 18 disposals, 12 marks and two goals while new co-captain Sam Skinner put his hand up for West End State team selection with 17 disposals and 10 marks.

Adelaide, playing under the guidance of Matthew Wright for the first time in the absence of Michael Godden, showed plenty of resilience to remain in the contest despite being under constant scoreboard pressure.

Luke Nankervis played strongly for his 26 disposals and 10 marks while first-year draftee Oscar Ryan had 22 disposals on debut.

Key defender Daniel Curtain finished with 18 disposals and 10 marks while Wangaratta signing Toby Murray – the younger brother of Crows defender Nick – looked dangerous with four goals.
Show the best players

I wandered down to Noarlunga yesterday and my impressions fwiw.

1) South will struggle this year however I think this is only the second time our Twos have won with 10 or more top ups (the other time from memory was a couple of years ago against an awful West Adelaide). It was great to see so many Kids in the engine room.

2) Dowling is ready, play him in the AFL.

3) Nankervis is ready, play him in the AFL.

4) Clearly Curtin has talent but I think he lacks a bit of confidence at the moment, not surprising for a young Kid. I would not complain if he plays against Melbourne but I suspect he will take some time to realise his potential.

5) I liked the look of Ryan and Edwards and it was the best game that Bond has played for the club..

6) I prefer Parnell to Hamill but he may never be a regular AFL player.

7) Cook played the whole game on the wing and had 16 mostly meaningless touches, I don’t get some people’s obsession with him.

8) Gollant couldn’t stick his marks, Strachanie was influential in the second half.

9) Gallagher is quick (great snap for a goal in the 3rd quarter), Murray looks promising, Welsh is a BIG young lad.

10) Overall, the top ups did their job but I doubt that we will play finals this year.

Last edited:
I wandered down to Noarlunga yesterday and my impressions fwiw.

1) South will struggle this year however I think this is only the second time our Twos have won with 10 or more top ups (the other time from memory was a couple of years ago against an awful West Adelaide). It was great to see so many Kids in the engine room.

2) Dowling is ready, play him in the AFL.

3) Nankervis is ready, play him in the AFL.

4) Clearly Curtin has talent but I think he lacks a bit of confidence at the moment, not surprising for a young Kid. I would not complain if he plays against Melbourne but I suspect he will take some time to realise his potential.

5) I liked the look of Ryan and Edwards and it was the best game that Bond has played for the club..

6) I prefer Parnell to Hamill but he may never be a regular AFL player.

7) Cook played the whole game on the wing and had 16 mostly meaningless touches, I don’t get some people’s obsession with him.

8) Gollant couldn’t stick his marks, Strachanie was influential in the second half.

9) Gallagher is quick (great snap for a goal in the 3rd quarter), Murray looks promising, Welsh is a BIG young lad.

10) overall the top ups did their job but I doubt that we will play finals this year.
Welsh is very quick and agile for his size as well.

Welsh is very quick and agile for his size as well.
I hope we don’t put too much pressure on a lad that doesn’t turn 18 until the end of this season. I agree that he has good pace and agility to go with his bull like strength. When he collided with a South player in a marking contest in the last quarter (right in front of me), I thought he was going to snap their player in half. He really hits the contest hard.

It’s good that there is some hope in our season of gloom and doom.

Not at this point in time, plenty of the highly rated Victorian mids having big starts to the NAB League season so far. Somewhere in the back half of the 1st round maybe?
Hopefully we can land a proper mid this year and then get games into him straight away

Remove this Banner Ad

Back