Play Nice 2024 AFL and State League Attendance

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks about 65k hard to tell with where they are all sitting.

I'd love to know how many Bombers fans with premium seating only go to the anzac day game each year and no other game.

Even a pretty conservative prediction of:

85k Carl/Rich
80k Coll/Syd
60k Ess/Haw
40k Melb/WB
35k Port/WC
35k Freo/Bris
35k Gee/StK
12k GC/Adel
8k GWS/Nth

gets you to 390k. Most of those games are more likely to go 5k higher than 5k lower.

We're 11k up on this prediction so far from the first 3 games.

The other 6 games just need to get what's listed there and it'll break the aggregate record for a single round.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks about 65k hard to tell with where they are all sitting.

I'd love to know how many Bombers fans with premium seating only go to the anzac day game each year and no other game.
Think of it like you lot with Carlton a few years ago. Go to most games early in season, then go less often when form slides. 74K today a strong crowd. Essendon crowds hold up very well despite its ladder position (saga years aside of course).

Last edited:
Regular round 1 fixture? It will be next year (Hawthorn’s 100th VFL/AFL year).

Also the third time the round 1 fixture has drawn 65,000 or more at the MCG (2017 - 78,294, 2023 - 68,691 and now 2024)

They also played a round 1 game at Marvel in 2021 (25,128)
Essendon / Hawthorn always over delivers estimates and predictions. Rivalry likely the factor. Remember, these are two teams few pundits expect to make finals. So, to draw 74K based on a rivalry to me is paying homage to the strength of the clubs drawing capacity.

If both teams were genuine finals contenders, it draws a more, let alone if they were expected to play at the pointy end. Because it then draws neutrals which is the extra ~5-6,000 that comes with being a must watch for footy fans in general.

Think of it like you lot with Carlton a few years ago. Go to most games early in season, then go less often when form slides. 74K today a strong crowd. Essendon crowds hold up very well despite its ladder position (saga years aside of course).
I was referencing the very sparse reserved seating at the Punt Rd end, maybe the sun played a factor. 74k is a great crowd :thumbsu:

No I don't just wishful thinking

As the big games gets become harder to get into hopeful neutrals start pumping up these lower games though
Or they just don’t go?

On a population basis, attendances for most non marquee games are lower now then they were 10 or 20 years ago (accounting for population growth), and even back in the early 2000’s mid 30,000 attendances today don’t draw considerably more than they did then.

The big difference is that there are more marketed ‘blockbuster’ games - but how many more ‘blockbusters’ can you have before you saturate

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back