Play Nice 2024 AFL and State League Attendance

Remove this Banner Ad

That’s a great result for mine!
We are going to break the record for a round you would think, but I reckon a few of the crowds have been unders on their potential. Thurday should have been 88+, Friday should have been 80+, GWS should be getting more than 8K (dont care who they are playing), Suns above 12K. I am happy with 44K against the dogs but would have sounded better if it was 45K. Bombers Hawks crowd will be best of the weekend.

We are going to break the record for a round you would think, but I reckon a few of the crowds have been unders on their potential. Thurday should have been 88+, Friday should have been 80+, GWS should be getting more than 8K (dont care who they are playing), Suns above 12K. I am happy with 44K against the dogs but would have sounded better if it was 45K. Bombers Hawks crowd will be best of the weekend.
I thought 12k in monsoonal rain was an OK result for the Suns. Will be really interested in their next home crowd against the GIANTS, by that stage it could well be a top 4 clash. So long as there isn't another monsoon they could exceed their previous best crowd against GWS (14.6k).

I thought 12k in monsoonal rain was an OK result for the Suns. Will be really interested in their next home crowd against the GIANTS, by that stage it could well be a top 4 clash. So long as there isn't another monsoon they could exceed their previous best crowd against GWS (14.6k).
Thats gather round in adelaide

44,100 at the G

Yet again highlights the best and the worst of the G in one.

40,000 can provide a killer atmosphere, but at the G looks and feels empty.

Gotta get better filling up lower levels and closing the top levels.
Little sympathy for the argument “you see better on level 4”. The atmosphere gets people to games.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

34,078 at Adelaide Oval for Port vs WC. Nothing special but a good enough crowd.

Little sympathy for the argument “you see better on level 4”. The atmosphere gets people to games.

If this was a sub 30k crowd maybe.

Nope, people shouldn’t be forced to sit in the sun, people are allowed to prefer level 4 and the smaller clubs are allowed to be just that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nope, people shouldn’t be forced to sit in the sun, people are allowed to prefer level 4 and the smaller clubs are allowed to be just that.

Side note: I’m not sure how anyone would have coped if they’d played the Ess/Haw game the previous weekend when it was 39 degrees on Saturday afternoon. This is going to become an issue going forward if they’re going to extend the season and extreme weather events become more frequent.

Side note: I’m not sure how anyone would have coped if they’d played the Ess/Haw game the previous weekend when it was 39 degrees on Saturday afternoon. This is going to become an issue going forward if they’re going to extend the season and extreme weather events become more frequent.
I really hope they don’t extend the season further. But you’d know AFL House would love the prospect of playing matches in Melbourne over the Labour Day Long Weekend as soon as possible.

I really hope they don’t extend the season further. But you’d know AFL House would love the prospect of playing matches in Melbourne over the Labour Day Long Weekend as soon as possible.

Coughs

the naked gun facepalm GIF

Well, given the record crowds and everyone yearning for footy, they certainly won’t be starting later next year. Opening round and round 1 will be repeated in 2025.

Edit: Just saw the HS link out up by ‘Manic’.

ok some boring stats time, I saw this question pop up earlier as to whether attendances have tracked with population growth.

I think I can safely say they have.

Over the last decade (2014-2023)

• Aus Population rose 15%
  • #AFL Attendance rose 18%
  • #NRL Attendance rose 30%
  • #ALM attendance dropped 31%

Over the last 40 years (1983-2023), since the NSWRL and VFL began looking around the rest of the country
  • Aus Pop rose 73%
  • VFL/AFL attendance rose 124%
  • NSWRL/ARL/NRL attendance rose 197%

Over the last hundred years (1923-2023)
  • Aus Pop rose 368%
  • VFL/AFL attendances rose 427%

Data: AFLtables, UltimateAleague

I'm 100% with you so there is still scope for crowds to keep on improving going forward especially if both GWS and GC can start to improve their home crowd figures on the back of continuing success on the field.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back