Play Nice 2024 AFL and State League Attendance

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

39,352 for Geelong vs St.Kilda at GMHBA

(Via Hamish on the TV)

Pretty close to the 40,000 - great result. Apparently their biggest crowd at the ground since Easter Monday 1981, and 6th biggest ever.
I went to the game with a friend to check out the new grandstand. Games at Kardinia Park will definitely be able to nudge 40k now, and largely thanks to the new standing area.

The standing area was packed shoulder to shoulder - and you can fit at least two people standing like that in the same space as a single seat. If they keep tickets there cheap i think it’ll be a great success and other stadiums will be tempted to try something similar in future redevelopments.

Would love to know what Geelong match returns are now that the stadium is now 40k. Prior to redevelopment I heard they would make more money from a crowd of 25k at Kardinia Park than they would if they got 70k at the MCG. I believe they have one of the best stadium deals in the league.

I went to the game with a friend to check out the new grandstand. Games at Kardinia Park will definitely be able to nudge 40k now, and largely thanks to the new standing area.

The standing area was packed shoulder to shoulder - and you can fit at least two people standing like that in the same space as a single seat. If they keep tickets there cheap i think it’ll be a great success and other stadiums will be tempted to try something similar in future redevelopments.
There looked to some empty seats around the ground even in the new Joel Selwood Stand so the 40,000 + crowd will be topped at some stage this season although as usual games against the high drawing Victorian teams are at the MCG.

There looked to some empty seats around the ground even in the new Joel Selwood Stand so the 40,000 + crowd will be topped at some stage this season although as usual games against the high drawing Victorian teams are at the MCG.
Richmond and Hawthorn are both playing there this year so i’m on 40k+ watch for those games.

#AFL Round 1 (2) Attendance to date

Blues/Tigers 83,881 at the MCG
Pies/Swans 78,933 at the MCG
Bombres/Hawks 73,805 at thee MCG
Giants/Kangaroos 8,034 at Engie Stadium
Cats/Saints 39,352 at GMHBA Stadium
Suns/Crows 11,466 at People First Stadium

Total 295,471
Ave 49,245

three games tomorrow
Dees/Dogs at the MCG
Power/Eagles at Adelaide Oval
Dockers/Lions at Optus Stadium

needing just over 104,000 to break 400,000 for the round. Almost certain to happen.

1710598926833.png

Last edited:
#AFL Round 1 (2) Attendance to date

Blues/Tigers 83,881 at the MCG
Pies/Swans 78,933 at the MCG
Bombres/Hawks 73,805 at thee MCG
Giants/Kangaroos 8,034 at Engie Stadium
Cats/Saints 39,352 at GMHBA Stadium
Suns/Crows 11,466 at People First Stadium

Total 295,471
Ave 49,245

three games tomorrow
Dees/Dogs at the MCG
Power/Eagles at Adelaide Oval
Dockers/Lions at Optus Stadium

needing just over 104,000 to break 400,000 for the round. Almost certain to happen.

View attachment 1930185
Imagine how high it would've been if Brisbane/Sydney/Adelaide/West Coast hosted instead of Gold Coast/Greater Western Sydney/Port Adelaide/Fremantle

The sun is out again today so hoping for a quality roll up from Melbourne footy club fans! 45-50,000 is a big effort for mine.

The sun is out again today so hoping for a quality roll up from Melbourne footy club fans! 45-50,000 is a big effort for mine.
45 looks a far way off, hope for the late influx of people. Ponsford emptiest I’ve ever seen it

Imagine how high it would've been if Brisbane/Sydney/Adelaide/West Coast hosted instead of Gold Coast/Greater Western Sydney/Port Adelaide/Fremantle

Probably the optimum Round 1 you could draw up with averages from previous Round 1 matchups if applicable or the last 15 years at the specific venues:

1710644115177.png

Assumes form/expectation is neutral, every state needs to host and that non-Vic derbies will be scheduled in later rounds.

This gives you over 460k.

Looked a very good turnout from North fans with the large majority of the crowd on the outer side wearing blue. Kudos to them for showing up after their last four seasons.
Very disappointing considering last weeks big crowd and good win against the Pies.

If GWS keep on winning and end up in the top 4 as many are suggesting a 12,000 home match average should be expected even if they have to give away freebees to do it.

I'm saying not that it will be easy it clearly won't be as the large western Sydney migrant demographic did not grow up with our game and don't now much about Australian football so it is their kids that have to be concentrated on and converted on starting with Auskick and the school system backed up by junior comps.

The AFL also must concentrate on getting the anti Sydney sports media on side like having the Season launch this year there and have it every second year in Sydney and also spread it around the other state capitals to prove to those supporters it is a truly national sport and not appear to be favouring everything Melbourne/Victorian.

This is a at least a 25 year program until it will show the type of support that the Sydney Swans have now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back