Resource 2024 AFL Draft discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
The Giants/Swans certainly have a big advantage if they can get a strong performance like this against SA's finest kids.

Might be time for the AFL to clip their wings a bit. They have too big an advantage at the draft.

After a pre-season injury sidelined him for the first couple of months of the 2024 season, Sid Draper finally made his much awaited return over the weekend in a trial match for the SA Under-18 team against a combined Swans and Giants Academy squad. Drapers minutes were significantly limited here, playing only parts of the first two quarters, but he showed enough to get draft watchers excited for what he might produce when the Champs kick off in a couple of weeks.

After a pre-season injury sidelined him for the first couple of months of the 2024 season, Sid Draper finally made his much awaited return over the weekend in a trial match for the SA Under-18 team against a combined Swans and Giants Academy squad. Drapers minutes were significantly limited here, playing only parts of the first two quarters, but he showed enough to get draft watchers excited for what he might produce when the Champs kick off in a couple of weeks.

ad-nothing-special-gif.1534411

Still working his way back into game shape, Draper had a much stronger outing in the second state trial match for the U18's. He played in shorter bursts and spent plenty of time on the bench, but ran out the full game and was influential, although he noticeably tired as the game went on.

Good looking team though very surprised Benny Barrett (small forward/mid) has been overlooked.

I'd also have found a spot for WWT tall forward Charlie West on the bench with his contested marking ability but I guess SA has a riches of tall forwards this year, probably gets a gig next game with the likely MSD drafting of Noah Howes next wednesday.

I suspect our mids will be roving to a beaten ruck because I'd be expecting Allies/GWS Academy ruck Logan Smith to monster Ryan Borlace.

SA U18 Team - Game 1​

Sunday May 26
2024 AFL U18 National Championships
South Australia v Allies from 11am at Thebarton Oval
Live broadcast at afl.com.au and the AFL app
SOUTH AUSTRALIA

F: Tyler Welsh, Tallan Rosenzweig, Evan Bradley
HF: Ned Bowman, Charlie Nicholls, Jacob Newton
C: Lucas Camporeale, Sid Draper, Harley Barker
HB: Jett Hasting, Tate Delmenico, Dyson Sharp
B: Jacob Sheean, Harry Ramm, Angus Clarke

R: Ryan Borlace, Ben Camporeale, Sam Cumming
INT: Louis Montgomery, Noah Howes, Kade Herbert, Phoenix Hargrave, Harry Dodd, Thomas McKay, Dakota Sterzl

Good looking team though very surprised Benny Barrett (small forward/mid) has been overlooked.

I'd also have found a spot for WWT tall forward Charlie West on the bench with his contested marking ability but I guess SA has a riches of tall forwards this year, probably gets a gig next game with the likely MSD drafting of Noah Howes next wednesday.

I suspect our mids will be roving to a beaten ruck because I'd be expecting Allies/GWS Academy ruck Logan Smith to monster Ryan Borlace.

SA U18 Team - Game 1​

Sunday May 26
2024 AFL U18 National Championships
South Australia v Allies from 11am at Thebarton Oval
Live broadcast at afl.com.au and the AFL app
SOUTH AUSTRALIA

F: Tyler Welsh, Tallan Rosenzweig, Evan Bradley
HF: Ned Bowman, Charlie Nicholls, Jacob Newton
C: Lucas Camporeale, Sid Draper, Harley Barker
HB: Jett Hasting, Tate Delmenico, Dyson Sharp
B: Jacob Sheean, Harry Ramm, Angus Clarke

R: Ryan Borlace, Ben Camporeale, Sam Cumming
INT: Louis Montgomery, Noah Howes, Kade Herbert, Phoenix Hargrave, Harry Dodd, Thomas McKay, Dakota Sterzl
Noah Howes in the team is interesting, don’t think there’s been a player that’s played in the champs and been on an AFL list in the same season before lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They usually are. I would suggest definitely will be

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

WATCH: All matches in the 2024 Marsh AFL National Championships – U18 Boys will be live streamed on AFL.com.au and the AFL Live Official App. Fox Footy will also broadcast a selection of matches.

Draper very quiet by his standards again up to half time today, Ben and Lucas Camporeale along with 2025 prospect Dyson Sharp easily SA's best. Welsh 1 touch but again no footy being directed at him, looks to be playing permanent forward pocket.

Sydney and GWS Academy lads standing out for the Allies 190cm marking forward Josh Murphy, mid Leonardo Lombard and Ruckman Logan Smith. F/S Jobe Shanahan also doing well...none of whom we have access to.

Half time
Allies 47
SA 35

Draper very quiet by his standards again up to half time today, Ben and Lucas Camporeale along with 2025 prospect Dyson Sharp easily SA's best. Welsh 1 touch but again no footy being directed at him, looks to be playing permanent forward pocket.

Sydney and GWS Academy lads standing out for the Allies 190cm marking forward Josh Murphy, mid Leonardo Lombard and Ruckman Logan Smith. F/S Jobe Shanahan also doing well...none of whom we have access to.

Half time
Allies 47
SA 35
Didn’t know Shanahan was FS?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back