Player Watch 2024 AFL Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Same rules as every other year.

This isn’t the thread to talk about your ladder predictions or declarations of how interested you are in the draft in response to a win/loss, nor is it the thread to declare who you want to trade for.
Those posts will be deleted.

Talk about the kids in the draft.

Smillie and FOS are the top tier of midfielders in this draft.

Smith, Moraes and Draper are a level below.

We need more elite talent in this area.
Smith is on FOS and Smillie's level, he's just the player that fits our needs the least. He's comparable to Colby and Daicos, the best thing for his development is starting as a loose halfback with a license to run and gun which is the role we've given to D'Ambrosio. That being said, if we have pick three and FOS and Smillie are gone we should be taking Jagga. We aren't a good enough team to be passing on top talent, especially when there's a decent step down from the top three and the best talks in my opinion.

Tigers should snap up Jagga though, they've got room off halfback to let him run free and a good pathway for him to step into the midfield over the next three or four years. Smillie is the prototype of the extractor midfielder, with the size, composure, agility, and clean hands to get the football first from stoppages and contests and then get it to the damage dealers. FOS reminds me a bit of MacDonald actually, but with an aerial presence and a massive kick. He brings a solid base with his running and stoppage work which isn't reliant on brute strength, and at his best he'll be kicking goals from 60 out off four steps. Either way, if we had pick 3 tomorrow I'd be happy with any of these three.

Smith is on FOS and Smillie's level, he's just the player that fits our needs the least. He's comparable to Colby and Daicos, the best thing for his development is starting as a loose halfback with a license to run and gun which is the role we've given to D'Ambrosio. That being said, if we have pick three and FOS and Smillie are gone we should be taking Jagga. We aren't a good enough team to be passing on top talent, especially when there's a decent step down from the top three and the best talks in my opinion.

Tigers should snap up Jagga though, they've got room off halfback to let him run free and a good pathway for him to step into the midfield over the next three or four years. Smillie is the prototype of the extractor midfielder, with the size, composure, agility, and clean hands to get the football first from stoppages and contests and then get it to the damage dealers. FOS reminds me a bit of MacDonald actually, but with an aerial presence and a massive kick. He brings a solid base with his running and stoppage work which isn't reliant on brute strength, and at his best he'll be kicking goals from 60 out off four steps. Either way, if we had pick 3 tomorrow I'd be happy with any of these three.
I just think he just lacks points of differences to be in that discussion . He doesn't have any outstanding athletic or points of difference, compared to Smillie and FOS. He has a body type, that unless he becomes tougher around the contest like a Butters, he will struggle to accumulate at a higher level in the midfield.

Colby is elite in running ability. Absolute explosive animal. Smith has bursts of speed, but is a level below in this area.

Daicos is separable just in his freakish ability.

Smith will be top 10 though, just based off his numbers. It's if he can bring these numbers in the midfield at senior level that is the question. Half back will be his starting point no doubt.

I just think he just lacks points of differences to be in that discussion . He doesn't have any outstanding athletic or points of difference, compared to Smillie and FOS. He has a body type, that unless he becomes tougher around the contest like a Butters, he will struggle to accumulate at a higher level in the midfield.

Colby is elite in running ability. Absolute explosive animal. Smith has bursts of speed, but is a level below in this area.

Smith will be top 10 though, just based off his numbers. It's if he can bring these numbers in the midfield at senior level that is the question. Half back will be his starting point no doubt.
They said the same about Sam Walsh mate. Too skinny for an inside mid. Look at the bloke now. He's a beast.

Jagga would be the same. Have absolutely no dramas taking him at 3.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think where Jagga stands apart athletically is his agility and his ability to utilise it constantly. His gait is really light, he takes a ton of steps even when at full pace and he changes his direction multiple times in single runs. It's not as powerful as just running straight through a pack, but it takes a mountain of stamina to be that light on your feet all over the ground, and it's why small forwards that pinch hit in the guts can't run out whole games. That's a big reason Daicos is so great, he's able to apply an elusive step 150 times a game to make space and get off a clean disposal. That's where I see Jagga more, good top speed but a water bug in contests that finds a way to get a clean run. Similar to Mackenzie really, but with more offensive application on his disposals and shorter.

They said the same about Sam Walsh mate. Too skinny for an inside mid. Look at the bloke now. He's a beast.

Surely Richmond would take him if they finish below us and assuming Smillie/FOS are gone. He trained with them in the off season. Lots to play out.

Walsh was 8kg heavier than Smith at the same age.

I'm not doubting his ability to accumulate, I'm questioning if you could justify picking him before Smillie or FOS. Those two have more points of differences, while being more athletic and powerful.

Needs to improve his defensive side of his game and his kicking to be in that top two discussion for me.

Last edited:
Walsh was 8kg heavier than Smith at the same age.

I'm not doubting his ability to accumulate, I'm questioning if you could justify picking him before Smillie or FOS. Those two have more points of differences, while being more athletic and powerful.

Needs to improve his defensive side of his game and his kicking to be in that top two discussion for me.
No. He's clearly behind those 2.

Smith doesn't look like he's as tenacious and kamikaze as Butters, but he does look agile and has a nice side-step which would help navigate through traffic. He seems surgical with the ball.

I think FOS and Smillie are more suited to address our needs, but Smith looks like a class act. Even if he only becomes a part-time midfielder at AFL level we would still have a deep group of HFF's that could rotate through the middle.

One of the most impressive inside mid displays we've seen so far this season. Lindsay spent a decent amount of time in the forward line, but whenever he was in the midfield he had it on a string racking double digit clearances. His kicking wasnt always accurate, but he was attacking and direct pumping the ball inside 50 ten times.

Another strong inside mid performance from Langford. His team struggled to cope with the pressure being applied by Tassie, but Langford was able to win stoppages and find enough space to drive his team forward with his penetrating left foot.

Another massive game from Smillie who can't be contained by teams at this level. He was a little more subdued at stoppage than usual and his defensive pressure was down, but he was hugely effective on the spread pumping the footy inside the 50 thirteen times and kicking a couple of goals. One of those majors put his team ahead on the scoreboard with 2 minutes to go.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back