List Mgmt. 2024 Mid Season Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Eyre’s pretty tall, so don’t hurt his feelings by suggesting Teakle was about anything more than gonad jokes.
That's different. Eyre was injured so we could add him to the list without his unsightly tallness impacting games.

I blame Frampton. He's ****ed up our depth by becoming a good defender.

Exactly. He didn’t have the good grace to be useless in all positions on the field.

If you can get a player to agree to a short term contract that ends at the end of the season (which I believe is allowed) then it seems silly to not take on another ruck for insurance and especially so when you're the reigning Premier aiming for another flag in your window.

The only reason I could see us being somewhat reluctant to take on another ruck or more specifically handing a ruck an 18 month contract is that we have someone who can fill that role on the hook for next season already.

Still, I'd be making the now the priority and fill a need for this season and worry about taking care of next year whenever our season comes to an end.

Reading an article on the AFL website today and I see a few clubs are sniffing around Andrew Phillips and the possibility he could be given special dispensation for the MSD. He turns 33 in July but did play 20 games for Essendon last year and if you can accept a no frills ruck but one who is big and strong then he's another option for short term depth.

What happened to Steene? Saw the no back-up ruck scenario a mile away in the off-season. We failed to address it.
Did you now? How many clubs have more than 2 genuine backup rucks playing seconds if they’re running 2 in the seniors already? It’s incredibly unusual to have 5 rucks on a list, even more unusual to have as many rucks injured as we have over the past 2 years. That’s not something you can plan for without bringing your list balance out of whack.

Might be wishful thinking - but is there any chance Hutchinson might still be available at our pick given the clubs ahead of us in the queue and their more pressing needs?
From what I've heard North and Haw will look at tall KPD options and Richmond and St Kilda will be looking in the midfield. I know it's not a genuine rule - but I feel the interstate teams tend to lean to the side of caution in the MSD and target local prospects which really only leaves the Dogs as the only VIC based team ahead of us - who surely will not be targeting another i50 marking target.

I know full well that there is still 2 rounds and ladder position and injuries can occur during this time - but it also feels like the hype around him as maybe subdued a little in recent weeks. He's missed the odd game here and there - may be a bit of "smoke and shadows behind the windows" (T. Cloke 2008)?

Did you now? How many clubs have more than 2 genuine backup rucks playing seconds if they’re running 2 in the seniors already? It’s incredibly unusual to have 5 rucks on a list, even more unusual to have as many rucks injured as we have over the past 2 years. That’s not something you can plan for without bringing your list balance out of whack.
I wouldn’t count either Begg or Steene as genuine back up rucks.

Might be wishful thinking - but is there any chance Hutchinson might still be available at our pick given the clubs ahead of us in the queue and their more pressing needs?
From what I've heard North and Haw will look at tall KPD options and Richmond and St Kilda will be looking in the midfield.
I think there’s a non-zero chance he doesn’t get taken at all…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Defender John Noble will become the first mid-season draft pick to reach 100 games when he faces the Crows on Saturday."

That's a pretty cool achievement.

From the same article as the quote above: https://www.weeklytimesnow.com.au/n...e/news-story/1ff1746fb6f6739c50db2e0019952f47

From what I've heard North and Haw will look at tall KPD options and Richmond and St Kilda will be looking in the midfield. I know it's not a genuine rule - but I feel the interstate teams tend to lean to the side of caution in the MSD and target local prospects which really only leaves the Dogs as the only VIC based team ahead of us - who surely will not be targeting another i50 marking target.

I know full well that there is still 2 rounds and ladder position and injuries can occur during this time - but it also feels like the hype around him as maybe subdued a little in recent weeks. He's missed the odd game here and there - may be a bit of "smoke and shadows behind the windows" (T. Cloke 2008)?
Why are you sold on Hutchinson - his ONE great mark is not a strong enough argument IMO.

Why are you sold on Hutchinson - his ONE great mark is not a strong enough argument IMO.
I read that clubs would draft him based on what he could do in the future in a full time environment, rather than tearing a game apart right now. So based on his potential.

You can’t help but love the way he goes about it.

Can imagine the boys will be pretty pumped to get a win for him
And given he played for west adelaide, the fact his 100th is against the crows just makes it even better.

I would not say I am sold on him, as in I am certainly conscious of the fact that it is highly unlikely that he will come in and dominate at AFL straight away. However I do think he would be a more than worthwhile prospect to add to our list if he was available at the pick as a 22 year old forward, who has already been involved in our system at VFL level. He has great power and a leap on him, but beyond that he appears to be developing genuine forward craft with an ability to either find space i50 or generate separation from a defender - and to me these traits are arguably harder to find than guys with just size or power.

Like most I do have my doubts on how/if AJ will make it at AFL level, Reef while showing glimpses is no sure thing at present, and Checkers at 32 by the time season 2025 rolls around will start to breakdown given the nature of his style of play. Adding another young forward prospect to our list certainly can't be a bad thing, and although I acknowledge he is not the true 195cm+ KPF that we have been crying out for, simply there is just not many of these sort of players at state level showing the ability and talent Jack has atm.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back