List Mgmt. 2024 Mid Season Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

I would not say I am sold on him, as in I am certainly conscious of the fact that it is highly unlikely that he will come in and dominate at AFL straight away. However I do think he would be a more than worthwhile prospect to add to our list if he was available at the pick as a 22 year old forward, who has already been involved in our system at VFL level. He has great power and a leap on him, but beyond that he appears to be developing genuine forward craft with an ability to either find space i50 or generate separation from a defender - and to me these traits are arguably harder to find than guys with just size or power.

Like most I do have my doubts on how/if AJ will make it at AFL level, Reef while showing glimpses is no sure thing at present, and Checkers at 32 by the time season 2025 rolls around will start to breakdown given the nature of his style of play. Adding another young forward prospect to our list certainly can't be a bad thing, and although I acknowledge he is not the true 195cm+ KPF that we have been crying out for, simply there is just not many of these sort of players at state level showing the ability and talent Jack has atm.
I want to be convinced about the kid but I am struggling. Apart from the great mark, I've seen a fantastic crumb goal moving at speed through stoppage which was a revelation for someone at 190cm. But I haven't watched last week game where he may had some other moments.
That said, I'd have no issue trying to mold him into a Howe replacement given his marking ability, assuming he ticks the boxes on other needed traits.

Maybe he'll blossom in an AFL environment as Jen has suggested.

I want to be convinced about the kid but I am struggling. Apart from the great mark, I've seen a fantastic crumb goal moving at speed through stoppage which was a revelation for someone at 190cm. But I haven't watched last week game where he may had some other moments.
That said, I'd have no issue trying to mold him into a Howe replacement given his marking ability, assuming he ticks the boxes on other needed traits.

Maybe he'll blossom in an AFL environment as Jen has said.
I just like to accept that what I think I know about recruitment is nothing but amateur. He might not even get picked up. I can tell you that those who are paid to do it, know a hell of a lot more than us

It would seem I may have dug myself a large hole with my adamant attitude.

I now believe, with a fresh set of eyes, that Teakle will be considered and his dress rehearsal will be against the SANFL on Saturday. We will definitely look at youth and there's probably two or three names from CTL we'd be considering to make an informed opinion.

I remain very confident that we won't draft Callow.

I now believe, with a fresh set of eyes, that Teakle will be considered and his dress rehearsal will be against the SANFL on Saturday. We will definitely look at youth and there's probably two or three names from CTL we'd be considering to make an informed opinion.

Fresh set of eyes, or you heard something which shifted you off your previous stance?

Even I have moved past Callow, he won't get picked up

I'm happily married. In love with a co worker as well.
Should I draft the missus for the newish version?
Dunno. Both are hot although the work buddy is at a youngish draft age.

Mid season seems a good time to think.

If they were players, wifey is an inside midfielder. Work buddy a CHF.

I'm drunkled again tonight.

I guess it’s good to have options?

Not the Collingwood game style. Most our players need to be mobile, add lots of pressure and tackle.
It literally is. It’s what McStay did last year, what Framtpon was tasked with in the GF and what AJ failed to this season and what Reef has been doing okay.

Our pressure players then swarm after the contest is created.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Depends on whether the coworker is a restricted or unrestricted free agent.

The trade price can be very high for a restricted free agent.
Have you got the salary cap for both?

It literally is. It’s what McStay did last year, what Framtpon was tasked with in the GF and what AJ failed to this season and what Reef has been doing okay.

Our pressure players then swarm after the contest is created.
McStay works hard up the ground and applies massive pressure for a big guy. His work rate is elite It's imo one of the main reasons we targeted him. Frampton was a one off and his job was to pressure and spoil Andrews. AJ and Henry were both dropped because they didn't apply the pressure despite them kicking plenty of goals in 2023 and 2022. Reef is in the team because of injuries but his pressure is generally okay. Pressure is half of Collingwoods game plan.
Sure we could target a big guy but he needs to chase and pressure well.

McStay works hard up the ground and applies massive pressure for a big guy. His work rate is elite It's imo one of the main reasons we targeted him. Frampton was a one off and his job was to pressure and spoil Andrews. AJ and Henry were both dropped because they didn't apply the pressure despite them kicking plenty of goals in 2023 and 2022. Reef is in the team because of injuries but his pressure is generally okay. Pressure is half of Collingwoods game plan.
Never implied McStay’s work rate wasn’t elite. But his main role was to play as a deep forward target and provide a contest.

Ollie Henry was initially replaced by Ash Johnson who applied the same amount of pressure so that never came in the equation. Johnson simply provided a better aerial contest at the time.

Pressure being half our gameplan is exactly why we need a big man to bring the ball to ground. Our smalls can’t pressure if the opposition are taking intercept marks.

Have you watched Mason's pressure? When a defence is set, you've got to kick it to the hotspot and bring it to ground with the occasional mark. AJ and Henry were dropped because they couldn't provide enough of an aerial contest in the KPF roles that they were asked to play.

Did you now? How many clubs have more than 2 genuine backup rucks playing seconds if they’re running 2 in the seniors already? It’s incredibly unusual to have 5 rucks on a list, even more unusual to have as many rucks injured as we have over the past 2 years. That’s not something you can plan for without bringing your list balance out of whack.
Yeah I posted about it in the off season. It's not only the numbers but the composition. Even if Begg and Steene were available you couldn't rely on them in seniors. We're pretty light in the role. We had to ruck Johnson last year.

Have you watched Mason's pressure? When a defence is set, you've got to kick it to the hotspot and bring it to ground with the occasional mark. AJ and Henry were dropped because they couldn't provide enough of an aerial contest in the KPF roles that they were asked to play.
Agree on Mason but he is the one we kick long too and he is the back up ruck so he gets a pass. But disagree on AJ and Henry. They were both kicking goals and we didnt replace them with aerial threats. Infact AJ took Henry's spot in 2022 and AJ was replaced by a small in 2023 (but maybe I remember incorrectly). I believe that AJ and Henry didn't apply the collingwood pressure if they did they would have never be dropped.

Never implied McStay’s work rate wasn’t elite. But his main role was to play as a deep forward target and provide a contest.

Ollie Henry was initially replaced by Ash Johnson who applied the same amount of pressure so that never came in the equation. Johnson simply provided a better aerial contest at the time.

Pressure being half our gameplan is exactly why we need a big man to bring the ball to ground. Our smalls can’t pressure if the opposition are taking intercept marks.
Agree with the idea of a big man who brings it to ground. But he needs to be the right big man and by that I mean he needs to also apply pressure and tackle. This is one of the reasons why both Mihocek and McStay are so good for us. But we only have them for a few years because of their age. So yeah the right big bloke to replace at least one of them would be good. No to Callow imo.

Agree with the idea of a big man who brings it to ground. But he needs to be the right big man and by that I mean he needs to also apply pressure and tackle. This is one of the reasons why both Mihocek and McStay are so good for us. But we only have them for a few years because of their age. So yeah the right big bloke to replace at least one of them would be good. No to Callow imo.
Hopefully they can pluck another gem from the lower leagues. My guess is it’ll be someone not mentioned yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back