Preview 2024 National Draft Preview Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

This is and remains a real sore point for me. I am limited with what I can say about how this deal slid away from us, but I can say that post-election, we did talk to the Libs (in person), and they were certainly open to the possibility of reinstating the offer. They understood the electoral advantage in building a stadium, but due to factors beyond my control, the Club did not seize the moment. It became one of a number of factors that lead to my eventual departure from the Club. By the time the ALP was back in power, North had firmed up its commitment to Hobart (and probably did not see the opportunity that I felt Ballarat could be). Peter Gordon from the Bulldogs saw that opportunity for what it was and was able to pick up where we left off - the rest is history. In a subsequent phone call, Peter "thanked" me for having pushed the concept of AFL games in Ballarat. That annoyed me no end!
We can add that 'thank you' to the vast vat of thanks we get for Friday night football.

This is and remains a real sore point for me. I am limited with what I can say about how this deal slid away from us, but I can say that post-election, we did talk to the Libs (in person), and they were certainly open to the possibility of reinstating the offer. They understood the electoral advantage in building a stadium, but due to factors beyond my control, the Club did not seize the moment. It became one of a number of factors that lead to my eventual departure from the Club. By the time the ALP was back in power, North had firmed up its commitment to Hobart (and probably did not see the opportunity that I felt Ballarat could be). Peter Gordon from the Bulldogs saw that opportunity for what it was and was able to pick up where we left off - the rest is history. In a subsequent phone call, Peter "thanked" me for having pushed the concept of AFL games in Ballarat. That annoyed me no end!

A sliding doors moment!!

What do you see now? Any untapped options? Bendigo? A Ballarat derby?

Probably a bit Vic focused, and I've probably forgotten 3 or 4 players but here is my Top 30 as it stands. Obviously a fair bit to play out with the championships still to come. Big watches for me Travaglia, Langford, Lockwood, Berry and Gerryn. All of these players are playing solid footy and have the high level potential to push up draft rankings.

1. Josh Smillie - Eastern - 194cm
2. Finn O'Sullivan - Oakleigh - 181cm
3. Luke Trainor - Sandringham - 193cm
4. Jagga Smith - Oakleigh - 181cm
5. Levi Ashcroft - Sandringham - 179cm - (Bris FS)
6. Leonardo Lombard - GC - 178cm (GCS A)
7. Sid Draper - Sth Adel - 180cm
8. Christian Moraes - Eastern - 182cm
9. Harry O'Farrell - Calder - 196cm
10. Jobe Shanahan - Bendigo - 195cm
11. Isaac Kako - Calder - 175cm
12. Sam Lalor - GWV - 187cm
13. Tyler Welsh - WWT - 191cm (Adel FS)
14. Jonty Faull - GWV - 194cm
15. Taj Hotton - Sandringham - 182cm
16. Jack Whitlock - Murray - 199cm
17. Matt Whitlock - Murray - 196cm
18. Harvey Langford - Dandenong - 190cm
19. Tobie Travaglia - Bendigo - 187cm
20. Ben Camporeale - Glenelg - 184cm - (Carl FS)
21. Noah Mraz - Dandenong - 198cm
22. Tom Gross - Oakleigh - 180cm
23. Zak Johnson - Northern - 185cm
24. Kayle Gerryn - West Perth - 198cm
25. Bo Allen - Peel - 191cm
26. Zaydyn Lockwood - Bendigo - 198cm
27. Xavier Lindsay - Gippsland - 182cm
28. Phoenix Hargrave - Sth Adel - 182cm
29. Cooper Hynes - Dandenong 190cm
30. Joe Berry - Murray 180cm

Next lot:

Cody Anderson - Eastern - 181cm
Nathaniel Sulzberger - Sandringham/Tas - 184cm
Lucas McInerney - Northern - 180cm
Malakai Champion - Subiaco - 175cm
Zac McInnes - Geelong - 196cm
Lucas Camporeale - Glenelg - 182cm - (Carl FS)
Archer Day-Wicks - Bendigo 185cm
Gabriel Stumpf - Northern - 196cm
Thomas Sims - Northern - 199cm

Probably a bit Vic focused, and I've probably forgotten 3 or 4 players but here is my Top 30 as it stands. Obviously a fair bit to play out with the championships still to come. Big watches for me Travaglia, Langford, Lockwood, Berry and Gerryn. All of these players are playing solid footy and have the high level potential to push up draft rankings.

Next lot:

A mid yeah? Big unit.

Next lot:

Where do you have Jesse Datoli? I rate him very very highly

Yep big inside mid, who can also play on the outside or across half back. Lots to like about the kid and stacks of upside to come as he grows into his frame.
Very positive. That's a great size, particularly if he is mobile and a good mark. Can throw a player like that almost anywhere.

Plenty of discussion around at the time about how we didn't 'seize the day'. I'm sure there is much more about this issue untold. Wish we could have you back Euge. I suspect you were a few steps ahead of the club.

Trying to strongman the argument for Smillie, because of his size, are there any concerns about Smillie being found out at AFL level?

He looks like a man playing against teenagers in the clips ivd watched.

Found out, perhaps tempo-wise earlier on, maybe but eventually, physcially he will stand up and be a strong figure.

You can't go wrong with smilie at 1. However, if we end up being no.2 pick then we got a dilema, because callaghan is another one of low 180s mid much like phillips.

Perhaps we could split pick 2 into two lots 10s and get the key position pair brothers.

I really really really hope richmond doesn't do a late burnout with mass injury crisis and multiple losses of 100+ followed by a big loss to us to sink to the bottom.

We need a no.1 pick of a player like smilie.

Found out, perhaps tempo-wise earlier on, maybe but eventually, physcially he will stand up and be a strong figure.

You can't go wrong with smilie at 1. However, if we end up being no.2 pick then we got a dilema, because callaghan is another one of low 180s mid much like phillips.

Perhaps we could split pick 2 into two lots 10s and get the key position pair brothers.

I have zero interest in your opinion on anything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lets get Euge back, make it happen Euge!

Who is Callaghan?

We aren’t getting pick 2 so there is literally no point in discussing it.

Where do you have Jesse Datoli? I rate him very very highly

Hard to say where I rank him. He is such a natural footballer, and he rarely has a bad game at Coates League Level. Don’t think he ends up as a midfielder at AFL level because of his height, but he has more than enough tools to be a damaging half forward/small forward. Biggest knock on him would probably be his decision making, can get caught trying to do too much at times.

Very curious to see how he goes at the championships, with only a couple of standout small forwards he could push his case if he has an impact.

I think he's talking about Finn Callaghan, who is 192 cm.
No, we don't want any more of these midget midfielders. Unless they're as big as Patrick Cripps,

New York No GIF by Talk Stoop

Remove this Banner Ad

Back