NFL 2024 NFL Draft (April 25th-27th)

Will there be a Punter or Kicker taken day 2?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Unfortunately haven't found the time to watch Williams and Daniels before the draft. Going to leave them as the assumed 1/2, but will probably get around to watching them before the season starts to rank them properly.

Of the ones I have watched:

1. BO NIX
WK2 2023 (TEXAS TECH) - hard game to analyse, Oregon run a very college type offence. Nix showed quickness on his feet, the ability to keep plays alive and scramble around to extend plays. Receivers had issues with drops which hurt drives and Nix's stat line. Had one almost pick late in the game when in FG range (down 2) which was a bad decision/throw, but outside of this did not cost his team.
WK4 2023 (COLORADO) - Nix is extremely hard to evaluate in Oregon's offence, there are SO many screens and dump off passes which you can't take anything from. That being said, he rarely if ever misses a throw, even when asked to push it down the field. One interception on a shot at the cover 2 sideline hole that needed more air under it. Nix has more than enough zip on the ball, and is like a machine, just want to see more from him than what the scheme offers.
WK8 2023 (UTAH) - what's apparent is Nix's quick release, this combined with his athleticism and fast decision making is what makes him a clean QB (low turnover potential) - that combined with Oregon's low risk passing game (screens and deep shots) resulted in low turnovers. This whole game was extremely clean by Nix, he doesn't seem to have any glaring issues in his game (ready made to start in the NFL today). He is quick in every aspect - release, decision making, feet.
WK9 2023 (CALIFORNIA) - once again, Nix is extremely fast in his play. Shows great ability to move in the pocket (pocket presence), however when needing to leave the pocket, shows enough talent to be able to throw on the move, across the body, and look off defenders. Nix's play recognition and ability to understand what the defence is giving him in a split second is brilliant for a college QB, he is ready to start in the NFL today. Wow - the more you watch him the more amazing plays he makes with his arm, wish that the Oregon offence was opened up more to give him the chance to show off his talent.
WK10 2023 (USC) - the more I watch of Nix the more I am reminded of Drew Brees - the decision making and execution is off the charts, rarely if ever is there a mistake. It is also apprent that there was a lot of talent on Oregon's offence, they are not outmatched ever, and the play calling is strong for college. That being said, Nix continues to impress, each week there are more and more plays made deep down the field and outside of the pocket. Nix shows the ability to throw with different arm angles and platforms week in week out.
PAC12 CHAMP 2023 (WASHINGTON) - first game I've watched where Oregon had to fight back against adversity. Washington had their number in the first half, were matching up well on the back end and Nix didn't have all day in the pocket. Was really impressed the way Nix brought them back from down 20-3 to give them a chance down the stretch. There were a few plays I didn't love the read (either taking a long option when short was open for first down, or taking a short option when there was a man open for a chunk downfield), however given the opponent and situation this is able to be forgiven.

PROS - Nix is fast and efficient, great mechanics and a quick release. accurate thrower and can throw off balance, off of a platform, across the body, on the run. He is also extremely quick at reading defences and making decisions - if the defence gives him something he will take advantage immediately. Oregon had a designed run game package around Nix which allowed him to show his athleticism, this will be available at the next level, however by no means is it necessary, Nix can kill you with his arm.
CONS - I find it very difficult to find flaws in Nix's game, he is a ready made prospect. My only wish was that the Oregon offence allowed him to showcase his talents more. Due to the talent on the team, and the QB friendly offence that was run (screens and deep shots), there was not a lot of subject matter where Nix was asked to play outside of his comfort zone.
OVERALL - As mentioned, Nix is a ready made NFL prospect. He could start in a game today and be successful. Although his ceiling might not be quite as high as a QB like Maye, he is almost certain to translate to the NFL game better due to his ability to execute faster and play clean. Nix will minimise mistakes and maximise opportunities. He reminds me of a slightly larger Drew Brees.

2. DRAKE MAYE
WK1 2023 (SOUTH CAROLINA) - first 3 quarters were fairly flawless, has a really smooth throwing motion, big and has the ability to get power/depth in his throws off hte back foot, foot work is solid, made a bad throw on the first pick running across his body, second pick went through the receivers hands however probably wasn't worth the risk given the game situation, outside of this his accuracy was great in the short/intermediate throws but was slightly off on some deep balls
WK3 2023 (MINNESOTA) - made a few big time plays, great arm talent demonstrated, however on deep shots did tend to underthrow the receiver slightly and receiver had to hold up waiting for ball (could cause issues at next level), also showed a tendency to leave the pocket too early, this got him into trouble a couple of times where he tried to escape and ran into pressure (that being said, his athleticism when leaving the pocket in evading defenders was really good). Second interception was a shocking play, needs to remain calm and take the sack, that play won't fly in the NFL. Finally, I do have a concern that he lacks the confidence/ability to anticipate passes, Maye like to 'see' the receiver open before throwing, however will continue to monitor this
WK6 2023 (MIAMI) - started poorly, Maye really struggles with decision making and accuracy when under pressure. Still made a handful of big time throws showing off his arm talent. Biggest concern in this game was the play against pressure, but also the inability to see/pickup the blitz to avoid being put in those situations
WK7 2023 (VIRGINIA) - really built well as the game went on, had plenty of 'almost' plays, where receivers dropped passes that should have been caught or Maye was just off on deep balls. Deep accuracy needs to be improved on, however he made a heap of big time throws down the stretch.
WK10 2023 (DUKE) - started the game pretty flawlessly, hardly missed a throw, made one or two big plays, however 1st pick late in first half was shocking, another situation where he had pressure coming and made a bad read/completely sailed the ball over the receiver and down the throat of the safety. Second half was a strong showing - continued to show great escabaility from the pocket, and made several big time throws. Despite having troubles wish pressure/reading the blitz at times, Maye still has decent pocket prescence/feel and understanding of where to move within the pocket.
WK11 2023 (CLEMSON) - inconsistent accuracy in this one, felt like Clemson's D had NC's measure throughout, with consistent pressure up front and coverage matched up on the back end. There were no disasterous plays by Maye, however a few missed throws that should have been hit, however also a few drops by receivers. This feels like the type of game we would see out of Maye early in his rookie season where his team feels outmatched.
WK12 2023 (NC STATE) - another game similar to that vs. Clemson closed out the season in disappointing fashion. UNC were outplayed and it reflected in Maye's performance. However unlike the game against Clemson, the issues were less about miss throws, and more about receivers not being open. As always Maye was still able to make a few big throws (and runs), however was not enough.

PROS - arm talent, Maye is a natural, smooth thrower of the ball, has arm strength and ability to extend plays and hit deep throws as well as anyone. He is also very athletic and able to shift around in the pocket, evade the pass rush well, and once outside the pocket can scramble and make plays with his feet.
CONS - biggest issue for Maye is his ability to recognise pressure pre snap, and then decision making and accuracy when under pressure after the snap. This was evident with several bone headed plays or wild throws where pressure got to him. Deep accuracy is not bad by any means, however Maye has a tendency to be late on deep throws and/or miss short - this could be an issue at the next level with missed chunk plays and throws that allow defenders to undercut/read the ball for interceptions
OVERALL - Maye's ability to deal with pressure is a big concern heading to the next level, if put in the wrong position this could be potentially disastrous and stunt his growth. That being said, he clearly has a ton of talent and the ability to be a top flight QB if coached well with a focus on his ability to read blitzes and deal with pressure. Watching Maye it felt like 90% of his plays were great, but then there were a few that left you scratching your head. Ceiling is a top 5-10 QB in the league, however his floor may be lower than most due to the severity of his mistakes.

3. J.J. MCCARTHY
WK1 2023 (EAST CAROLINA) - almost perfect game, two or three missed plays (quick out at end of first half where he just missed the throw), missed read on deep corner when post was open on 2 man read, and then pressured on roll out where he was running backwards and didn't get enough distance on the throw - otherwise was flawless, arm strength apparent, but not superstar level, wasn't under a heap of pressure but showed good pocket presence and ability to avoid the rush
WK3 2023 (BOWLING GREEN) - made a few great throws, however too many mistakes - first pick didn't read the entire field forgetting the route design (receiver was leading into a defender for the easy pick), second pick didn't step into the throw, ball ended up fading late, however receiver was also not aware the ball was coming, third pick did a great job of avoiding the rush, should have thrown the ball away but tried to make a play - will learn from this. All up showed great pocket presence with a few mistakes to learn from
WK9 2023 (PURDUE) - solid B game, pocket presence continued to be really good, footwork was sometimes lacking (can occasionally get a really wide base which hampers his ability to step into throws later in the down), wasn't as accurate as you would like with a few missed throws that should be made, but still made some great throws along the sideline as per usual
WK11 2023 (MARYLAND) - another inconsistent game throwing the ball, a few too many easy throws that were missed, however still consistently hitting out routes with arm strength being shown off from the pocket. Can tend to let his base get too wide when hanging in the pocket for extended periods of time, and as a result this hurts his footwork and ability to be accurate as a passer. That being said, still showing great signs as avading the rush and being patient in the pocket/going through his reads, just needs to be able to maintain consistency in footwork throughout the down. Lastly, has shown a tendency to make stupid throws/bad decisions when rolling out to his right (trying to throw back across his body) - needs to remove this from his game
WK12 2023 (OHIO STATE) - more consistent game as a thrower, showed ability to make NFL type throws in short/intermediate part of field into tight windows, was better throwing on the run particularly when rolling out to his right (the power/accuracy isn't the concerns, more so the decision making), as with some other weeks has got away with a throw or two that should have been picked and would have been at NFL level
BIG10 CHAMP 2023 (IOWA) - much of the same, not quite consistent enough as a thrower, one or two dropped/missed picks, still showing good signs moving in/out of the pocket, just needs to learn to throw the ball away unless something is wide open
SEMI FINAL 2023 (ALABAMA) - still continuing to make suspect decisions when outside of the pocket, that being said, clearly has good athletic ability as a thrower but also a runner - designed runs working well for Michigan. Most of the yardage came late in the game on blown/agressive plays by Alabama's D. Still had easy throws that were missed throughout
NAT CHAMP 2023 (WASHINGTON) - was not asked to do a lot but did make some big time plays in the air and on the ground, also had a couple of dropped passes and no bad throws that should have been picked, managed the game well

PROS - arm strength, ability to hit throws outside the numbers (particularly from within the pocket), ability to throw on the run, athleticism and mobility, pocket presence and ability to avoid the rush, patience within the pocket and ability to go through multiple reads
CONS - footwork at times falls off (especially when hanging in the pocket for extended periods of time), this then causes inconsistencies with accuracy (particularly throwing over the middle, has a tendency to miss high occasionally, or when throwing deep when his base becomes too wide and can't step into throws), decision making outside of the pocket trying to make throws that aren't there due to having a good arm/throwing ability
OVERALL - areas of concern can be worked on meaning potential can be realised, however doesn't have top tier talent to be a top 5-10 QB, potential is likely in the 15-20 range if all goes well

4. MICHAEL PENIX
WK1 2023 (BOISE ST) - throws with quite a long action, however doesn't get into trouble because his pass protection is so good (could potentially be an issue at the next level). Despite the mechanics, is quite accurate especially on deep balls, that being said can occasionally miss on the short/intermediate timing routes (likely due to the long motion). Doesn't seem to have the movement/athleticism of the other prospects but will monitor this moving forward. Didn't make any bad/costly decisions throughout the game
WK3 2023 (MICHIGAN ST) - another really solid game with no costly mistakes, there was one or two missed throws/tipped balls that could have been turnovers but did not eventuate. Penix is much more of a pocket QB than the other prospects, only really using his legs toe extend the play and wait for a man to get open. I do worry about his ability as a pocket passer at the next level with pass protection not being as good, and his long throwing motion allowing defenders more time to read and break on the ball. That being said, when given time to throw his is very talented and can hit receivers anywhere on the field
WK7 2023 (OREGON) - a few tipped passes early on to start the game, Penix's long throwing motion contributes to this and will only be more of an issue at the next level. Continues to show great deep accuracy when the front is blocked up and he has time, deep accuracy is about as good as any of the other prospects I've watched so far. Still continuing to make good decisions and reading through plays (multiple reads) well. Escapability isn't as good as the others, but does continue to keep his eyes down field well when leaving the pocket. There's definitely more 'nothing' plays with Penix, i.e. when the coverage is matched up and there's no one open, Penix can't really extend plays with his legs as well or take off and run. That being said, he doesn't fall into the trap of bad decisions and turnovers/mistakes
WK9 2023 (USC) - Penix continues to be kept clean by his Oline, very rarely is under pressure which makes it difficult to rank him against Drake Maye. Maye's biggest black mark is his performance against the blitz/under pressure, however he is more athletic and has a smoother release than Penix, with similar accuracy. Penix made a great play mid 2nd quarter, breaking from the rush and running all the way to the sideline before delivering a tight throw into the end zone, it was Aaron Rodgers-esque. First designed run I have seen in the 2nd half, however Penix continues to operate as a true pocket passer more so than the other prospects I have seen.
WK11 2023 (OREGON ST) - Penix showing pretty good ability to throw on a wet/drizzly night. One thing I've noticed is that although Penix has a strong arm, he tends to miss out on a few sideline/out breaking routes. Reason being is that he elongated motion gives defenders an extra split second to break on the ball and break up the pass. This is a clear negative when comparing to the other prospects who have much smoother/cleaner motions. Penix showed more ability to use his legs, however I don't see enough to think it's a threat at the next level.
PAC12 CHAMP 2023 (OREGON) - More of the same from Penix in this game. I will say there were more plays where pressure got through to him, and there were a couple of bad decisions/mistakes (i.e. overthrow on the crossing route against the simulated pressure and then late nickel blitz), however there were still a couple of plays where he avoided danger and lived to see the next play. Need to see more in this area to be confident in my ranking against Maye/McCarthy.
SEMI FINAL 2023 (TEXAS) - this was a really strong performance from Penix given the stage, and he was consistent with what was seen all year. Good deep accuracy and decision making. There were a few more plays made against pressure (i.e. evading the rush or quick decision making), however it is evident he doesn't have the high level talent (i.e. skills that likely won't be developed further - athleticism, significant changes in mechanics) of the other prospects
NAT CHAMP 2023 (MICHIGAN) - despite the result, Penix played a pretty clean game and did not dig his team into a hole when undermatched. This is in line with his decision making as a passer (lack of turnovers and sacks), however is likely also contributed to by his elite pass protection and receivers.

PROS - accuracy (all over the field but particularly on deep throws - Penix gets really good arc on his deep shots that allow his receivers to adjust and run under the ball, but also has genuinely good placement on tight windows down the sideline), decision making and lack of bad mistakes/errors that cost his team is a big plus, but again he was clearly assisted through great pass protection and offensive play calling that minimised risky throws.
CONS - Penix has a long throwing motion that allows him to get sufficient zip on the ball, however this is offset as it also gives defenders an extra split second to break on the ball and cut off passes. Although it wasn't an issue at Washington due to his great pass protection, I can see this being a concern at the next level with lesser pass protection, and the risk of hits whilst throwing causing fumbles etc. The elongated motion combined with his side arm throwing style also allowed a higher than usual amount of batted passes which is also a concern. Finally, Penix as a more true pocket passer does not have the same athletic ability as his counterparts in this class, which I believe holds him back.
OVERALL - Although Penix showed great ability to make great throws down the sideline/field, his overall talent level (i.e. raw talent that is hard to develop) is lower than that of the other QB's in this class. Penix will fit well in a system that protects him and has good talent on the outside, however this is an ideal situation and not likely to eventuate in the majority of situations he may land in. I worry about how much production Penix will be able to get out of himself in system where his flaws are highlighted, however also can see that his ability to go through reads, and minimise turnovers/mistakes would be valued at the NFL level. His top end talent is behind Nix/Maye/McCarthy, however has a higher floor than McCarthy/Maye and potential to be a long term backup/journeyman if he doesn't work out as a starter.

Nix - 1st rounder, would take him top 10 if in need and will be thrilled if Denver take him. Reminds me of a slightly bigger Drew Brees. Hasn't got the top top tier talent to be a top 3 QB in the league, but is a robot and can play the position lights out.

Maye - high ceiling/low floor. Has some glaring issues and needs to be developed. Still worth a 1st rounder however is by no means a sure thing and has bust potential if not nurtured well.

McCarthy - has a few really great traits that lead to being a clean QB at the next level (arm strength, quick release, pocket presence, etc.). Needs to improve decision making late into the down, however if put in the right position will be able to grow and build confidence. Worth a 1st rounder but is likely a 10-20 QB at best at the next level if all goes to plan.

Penix - less natural talent, and more between the ears for Penix. Seems to be an adult and will be a good addition to any QB room. Concerns are a long motion and lesser physical ability than the other prospects (as well as injury history). Not worth a high 1st rounder, but worth a late 1st or 2nd if going to the right situation. Could explode/be the missing piece in an offence with a great Oline and weapons.

I think Nix isnt anywhere as technically sound as Brees. His footwork in the pocket concerns me. Might get away with it in college but doubt it holds up in the NFL. By this I mean he widens his base too much often which costs him throwing power and allows defensive players to make a play on the ball, while other times he doesnt even bother setting his feet and stepping up in a clean pocket. Very thorough analysis though so good luck to you.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It does with Maye also having said that, but hes much younger than Nix. Maye has a legit cannon for an arm too so can probably get away with stuff a bit more at the NFL level.

I think Nix isnt anywhere as technically sound as Brees. His footwork in the pocket concerns me. Might get away with it in college but doubt it holds up in the NFL. By this I mean he widens his base too much often which costs him throwing power while other times he doesnt even bother setting his feet with a clean pocket. Very thorough analysis though so good luck to you.
I think Nix can get a lot more out of himself physically that wasn't shown in college. A lot of people assume he has an average arm, but he actually has a gun. He never really cut it loose consistently but definitely can if asked to. Maybe part of that is his throwing base as you mention.

But it's also the scheme he was in. That being said, being accurate on short/screen passes is underrated and he is great at that, almost Brady-like where he always puts it in just the right spot to give the receiver the best chance to pick up YAC.

There's also the running that he clearly has the ability to do, but wasn't asked to do a lot of. They had a few packages they put in in the red zone where he did well but it could be used all over the field if needed. Not completely necessary though.

I think Nix can get a lot more out of himself physically that wasn't shown in college. A lot of people assume he has an average arm, but he actually has a gun. He never really cut it loose consistently but definitely can if asked to. Maybe part of that is his throwing base as you mention.

But it's also the scheme he was in. That being said, being accurate on short/screen passes is underrated and he is great at that, almost Brady-like where he always puts it in just the right spot to give the receiver the best chance to pick up YAC.
I think the best throws he makes are actually on the move, especially running to his right, he can really rip the ball in those situations.

Heard a comparison to a more athletic Jake Browning for Nix. Didnt mind that. Im not saying he cant be an NFL starter, just he needs to go to the right situation with the right play caller.

Some big believers out there tho for sure, Lance Zierlein compared him to Tony Romo

Maye had a poor year. but UNC might of been thrown off by Tez getting rules ineligible the week of the first game and then all the appeals before he finally got to play.
I think Tez Walker absolutely sucks. He is a horror show to watch, got straight line speed but hes stiff as a board and plays like a pussy for someone his size, inconsistent hands thrown in for good measure. Maye was throwing to no one, giving him a pass this year.

I think Tez Walker absolutely sucks. He is a horror show to watch, got straight line speed but hes stiff as a board and plays like a pussy for someone his size. Maye was throwing to no one, giving him a pass this year.
The whole year was a write off for him. never got a consistent shot.

I dont know if he is good or not. but where he lands will be big, if its with a good WR coach and room it will help, bad one and he will be out of the league in 3 years.

a few mocks having the Packers land DeJean is making me feel he will either go just before us or we will trade.

He has been a packers twitter fav because of meme stuff like getting DeJean on your brat.

Back